URGENT - Help to Decide a 32 inch HDTV

FireDragon

Hi,

I need help asap on choosing an 32 inch HDTV for my bedroom. My choices are limited to these 3 TVs from Sony and Samsung.

Sony Bravia EX420 (LED)
Samsung D5000 (LED)
Sony Bravia NX500 (LCD)

Each one of these are priced at similar levels. So I just want help on deciding the best one considering picture quality, colors ...etc.

I will be using this TV to connect to my PC and use it as the secondary monitor mostly for watching movies from the Hard Disk and playing PC video games. So I don't really bother with the video formats playable by the TV unless it does not display when playing MKV from my PC. ;)

And also it is mentioned in the Sony Bravia EX420 site that it supports 1080p if connected through HDMI. So if I connect the TV to my PC via HDMI, will it display the desktop in 1080p? :rolleyes:

Which one should I go for?

I would go with the EX420.
Yes it supports 1080p via HDMI but the samsung has more resolution options for pc.

Since,u r buying a 32 incher,u can also look for HD Ready tv's from any good brand,...the picture difference between 32"HD & FHD is Not much discernible & saves effectively on money...also,u can follow this thread here > http://www.hifivision.com/television/21513-32-hdtv-buy.html

Thanks mate :) As I have said, most of the movies I have are 720p sources, and that is the main usage, while I will be doing bits of video gaming with my PC too. So which is the better option? Sony or Samsung? :rolleyes:

I would go with the EX420.
Yes it supports 1080p via HDMI but the samsung has more resolution options for pc.

I will be connecting it to my PC via HDMI. So it means I will be able to use it as a computer monitor running at a resolution of 1080p right? What exactly does support 1080p via HDMI only mean while the resolution is listed as 1366*768?

Since,u r buying a 32 incher,u can also look for HD Ready tv's from any good brand,...the picture difference between 32"HD & FHD is Not much discernible & saves effectively on money...also,u can follow this thread here > http://www.hifivision.com/television/21513-32-hdtv-buy.html

+1.
At that size, HD or HD ready wont make much difference. Go for HD ReadY & save some dough if you can find an appropriate TV....and choose your TV based on Video processing capabilities & of course the panel.
Do note, if video processing not so great, then you might end up seeing differences in the downscaling of a 1080 signal to 720, making it seem that you should go for Full HD. WHile the actual problem is wrong TV with inferior processing capabilities.

One thing I would like to point out here for EX420 is that the resolution of the TV is 1366x768 which neither the HD or Full HD resolution.So the picture which is always going to play on the tv will either be upscaled or downscaled. You would never be able to see the real resolution picture.Either go for 720p resolution tv or 1080p....getting stuck in the middle for a resolution like this hampers the viewing in my honest opinion.
I would also like to suggest you to also try 32CX520 model...it is a Full HD model although LCD but has Xreality engine which EX series has as well.

Thanks,
Max

One thing I would like to point out here for EX420 is that the resolution of the TV is 1366x768 which neither the HD or Full HD resolution.So the picture which is always going to play on the tv will either be upscaled or downscaled. You would never be able to see the real resolution picture.Either go for 720p resolution tv or 1080p....getting stuck in the middle for a resolution like this hampers the viewing in my honest opinion.
I would also like to suggest you to also try 32CX520 model...it is a Full HD model although LCD but has Xreality engine which EX series has as well.

Thanks,
Max

according to tv brands 1366 x 768 is 720p hd ready tv but all downloaded 720p rips have a resollution of either 1280 x 536 or 720 so nothing to worry much just in case u r going to watch 1080p blu ray rip (1920 x 800 or 1080) or getting a hd dth 1080i then consider buying a full hd led (also future proof):) I will suggest u go & demo some models dont forget to take your movies with you then play & check the difference between the hd & full hd models

Last edited:
I would suggest Samsung. From what I have read, both Sony and Samsung use same LCD panels. Design wise Samsung is way better than Sony. If you are looking for compatibility Samsung is better. I somehow feel that Sony has "something" which makes it working with non Sony devices a bit problematic. Samsung via USB can play all movie formats (mkv, mp4 etc.). Sony must have corrected now since I have an year old Sony and Samsung at home. Though Samsung plays all format Sony does not.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back