URGENT: Marantz CD63 SE

hehe i've made one decision.....i am only going to buy the miniwatt if i hear it or if i get reliable accounts that it's able to drive the speakers that i can afford adequately. If by August 12th that does not happen (august 12th being the day my friend leaves for Hong Kong), then i'll forget the miniwatt and figure out some solid-state options, even used. There is also the option of the Audioengine A5. Considering how well the A2 pairs with the CD63SE, that makes a compelleing case for the A5, which has a similar sonic signature but more substantial bass and more loudness.

decisions decisions!!

or maybe i should make it simpler for myself.....either i get to know about the miniwatt by August 12th.....or i just go for the A5.....that makes it far less complicated!

looks like one problem's solved ;) now on to ze amp!

some more fiddling around. I realised that the secret of the exceptional bass i was getting from the A2s was that i was keeping them close to the wall (about 4-5 inches). Moving them away from the wall resulted in a loss of substance in the lower frequencies and no appreciable gains, so i reverted it to its close to the wall position, and the bass is truly superb, considering the size of the speakers. The law books (which i never found useful till now ;) ) are serving as pretty decent isolators (i think that's what they're doing, the result is that the boominess is gone and the bass is tighter and faster as opposed to it sitting on the wooden cabinet) As soon as I can get my hands on a digital camera, i will take pictures and put it up.

I am eager to host someone at my house to listen to this setup, anyone in Chennai interested in coming over?

Which is not to say I think I've achieved audio nirvana, i realise that this is a very very modest beginning on this hi-fi journey, but I think at the amount of money i've spent i've got a decent sound going. While I am no expert and perhaps have not heard really fancy high-end equipment set up perfectly, i can say i've heard more expensive setups that have failed to move me even close to how much this setup is doing. :yahoo:

This what the perfomance you get, when you tweak your electronics and speaker setup for getting the most out if it, every new tweaking on every day will give you a new invented music delivery with clarity, punch, depth and more defined sound, this is the one common thing that true stereo lover should do by his own, its not just you own a low end setup, DIY or any high end setup from countries particularly say we are this and thus and bhus...........even low profile stereo audio system can break the perfomance of some high end audio setup. so tweak your audio system every time till you get your defined music for ears, experimenting the various setups of your audio sytems always helps to give improved music delivery.......

oh yes and i forgot to mention that i've kept a small 6" by 6" by 1" slab of granite on top of the CD player, but i haven't tried out the sound with and without to compare and see if it's making a difference.

But i can definitely say that my brightness concerns were unfounded. The sound is smooth and detailed but not harsh at all, and i was listening for a couple of hours without a hint of fatigue. Maybe i should check without the granite slab to see if that's contributing.

Hey Psycho

You may get more bass by putting it closer to the wall - but do you hear any details in the low end? I tried it and did not like it at all - it booms and spoils the tightness and clarity of lows.

Regards

haan i actually did a bit of moving back and forth, i could keep it closer and it would get a bit boomy, i've kept it at a position (about 5 inches from the wall) where it seems to me like there's substance, and detail...these are front ported speakers so a little bit more happy to be backed up against a wall. I will however play some tracks with some slightly intricate details int he bass frequencies and move them forward and back to see if i am losing detail in the present position, since i haven't actually watched out for that before.

The bass doesn't sound boomy though, it sounds pretty tight, but more substantial than when away from the wall. But this bass detail check I will have to perform and report. Thanks for the heads-up.

Hey Psycho

You may get more bass by putting it closer to the wall - but do you hear any details in the low end? I tried it and did not like it at all - it booms and spoils the tightness and clarity of lows.

Regards

i'm tending to agree with you gobble, i did a lot of moving the speakers backwards and forwards and there's a tiny bit of detail in lower frequencies lost when it is closer to the wall, but i think i've found a position that's a decent compromise, about 2 more inches forward from before. THe thing is that by default the A2s are perhaps on the lean side, so the little reinforcement that it gets from the rear walls is actually overall a pleasant thing. Anyway, i am not going to have these speakers for too much longer, so not much point in experimenting too much also :)

Congrats on Psychotropic (better late than never right), I am also looking at the same CD63E used but a good player. Hopefully will get to audition this weekend.

Somehow, I feel I might get a Music Fidelity Preamp so getting all excited now :)

The journey has started :)

Btw: Can I drop in for an audition this Sunday :yahoo: always wanted to hear the Engines ;)

hey ram, the engines attract so much interest it is crazy....i've already sold them ...i have the CD63SE now hooked up to an NAD C320BEE and a pair of Usher S520...you're welcome to come home and listen to it, although i don't think they're still fully broken in, and i am using lamp wire for speaker cable :)

which musical fidelity pre is this?

Congrats on Psychotropic (better late than never right), I am also looking at the same CD63E used but a good player. Hopefully will get to audition this weekend.

Somehow, I feel I might get a Music Fidelity Preamp so getting all excited now :)

The journey has started :)

Btw: Can I drop in for an audition this Sunday :yahoo: always wanted to hear the Engines ;)

hey ram, the engines attract so much interest it is crazy....i've already sold them ...i have the CD63SE now hooked up to an NAD C320BEE and a pair of Usher S520...you're welcome to come home and listen to it, although i don't think they're still fully broken in, and i am using lamp wire for speaker cable :)

which musical fidelity pre is this?

Oh FIsh, guess have to wait for the Engine audition for more time, always wanted to audition them but never got the chance :)

PM me if its okay and I will drop-in, I want to hear the 63, and u r setup sounds sweet :) I have always been a Arcam fan now I am starting to Like the Marrantz :)

Will let you know about the pre once I get some info :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back