US bought Sharp TV suddenly stopped working with Tata Sky Set top Box

December Stud

Hello all,

I would appreciate any help. Here is the brief problem statement:

I bought a Sharp TV from USA last year and connected it through HDMI cable to Tata Sky Set top box in India. It worked perfectly fine. Absolutely no problems.

And few days back I had to change my TV stand. Thus, disconnected everything. When I reconnected Tata Sky Set Top box, I saw that the signal strength was 0 and no picture was coming. I tried going through all the Tata Sky menu options and saw an option for "Master Reset". I pressed that , and immediately the Tata Sky menu options completely vanished and now my Sharp TV just gives an "Unsupported Mode" message. I cannot even get to the Tata Sky set top box menu.

Can I please get some direction on what can be done here to get my picture back? If I connect the same set top box to another Sharp TV that was also bought from USA in the other room, it works fine. So, I am lost as to what needs to be done here.

Have you tried a DVD Player connected to the 'dead' TV ?

Make sure you use the same HDMI Cable that you have used with the TataSky STB...

Last edited:
Assuming that you have chosen the right 'Input' on the TV. Try a factory reset for the TV as well. Connecting a DVD player as recommended by @IndiaEars is a good idea to check if there is an issue with TV or the Input modes.

Tata Sky set top box has reverted to a resolution (output) that your TV does not support natively. Try setting up the box with another normal CTV or changing the output to non-HDMI source.

Hello all,

I would appreciate any help. Here is the brief problem statement:

I bought a Sharp TV from USA last year and connected it through HDMI cable to Tata Sky Set top box in India. It worked perfectly fine. Absolutely no problems.

And few days back I had to change my TV stand. Thus, disconnected everything. When I reconnected Tata Sky Set Top box, I saw that the signal strength was 0 and no picture was coming. I tried going through all the Tata Sky menu options and saw an option for "Master Reset". I pressed that , and immediately the Tata Sky menu options completely vanished and now my Sharp TV just gives an "Unsupported Mode" message. I cannot even get to the Tata Sky set top box menu.

Can I please get some direction on what can be done here to get my picture back? If I connect the same set top box to another Sharp TV that was also bought from USA in the other room, it works fine. So, I am lost as to what needs to be done here.
"the signal strength was 0 and no picture was coming"

That means, there is a problem in connection between Dish & Set-top box. Try reconnecting the cable( that connects dish and set-top box) to the set-top box properly.

+ 1 to IndianEars,

Try connecting a DVD player and check. To be frank my tata sky didnt work for more than 2 weeks "signal strength was 0 and no picture ". I waited for a couple of days then waited for a couple of days, then i tried to get the customer care number from their site and observed that they have mentioned in top of the site stating that they have upgraded their settings and if you have issues in signal strength give a missed call to some number " i tried a lot of times but everytime i just get a message that somebody will call back and finally i called them and some one came home and fixed it.

Thanks guy. I connected the STB to another TV and looked at settings. The "Master Reset" had changed the resolution to 1080i 50Hz. I changed it to 1080i 60Hz and reconnected it back to the original TV and everything works like charm!!!

I still don't know why the signal strength was 0 to beginwith, maybe just a connection thingy like AmitKg mentioned.

Thanks guy. I connected the STB to another TV and looked at settings. The "Master Reset" had changed the resolution to 1080i 50Hz. I changed it to 1080i 60Hz and reconnected it back to the original TV and everything works like charm!!!

I still don't know why the signal strength was 0 to beginwith, maybe just a connection thingy like AmitKg mentioned.

I think the signal was showing as "0" because your TV was purchased in US and only supports 60Hz and not 50Hz.

Similar problem I am also facing... It nothing to do with TV, Sometime signal strength comes back... Time to call Tata Sky to resolve this.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back