US type IEC question

square_wave

When you buy power cords from the US, they come with the US pins on the wall side of the cord. 3 options are there to fix this.
  1. Buy new IEC connectors and change. This will obviously change the sound signature. And cost.
  2. Use adapters. This will change performance.
  3. Change your wall receptacles to US type.
What do you guys usually do when you get into this situation ?

When you buy power cords from the US, they come with the US pins on the wall side of the cord. 3 options are there to fix this.
  1. Buy new IEC connectors and change. This will obviously change the sound signature. And cost.
Most new wall receptacles take US plugs.
Cheers,
Raghu

+1 Wall receptacles. You get universal type sockets of good quality. However, if you are using a Power conditioner or regenerator, then you only need one connection to the wall receptacle. Your equipment would be connected to the power conditioner which should have US type outlets. Mine had IEC outlets so I needed to change the connectors on my power cords.
A related question: Which brand of wall receptacle do you guys recommend. Should have universal sockets
Thanks

Fiftyfifty I have no idea about universal sockets. But for US receptacles, Hubbell 5362 is good. If you want more bloom Oyaide Gold is nice although it’s voiced. Furutech top of the line is very nice. If you want neutral, Maestro is stellar.

Prem,
Universal sockets are the ones found on extension cords.
I have found that Belkin and GM brand extension/spike busters make good, clean contact when used with Indian, Euro, US and UK plug types.
Cheers,
Raghu

Raghupb, I do not have any personal experience with extension boards with universal sockets. I have never had them in my system.

Why would one need to change the IEC connector to mitigate the problem of a NEMA plug? Am I missing something here?

Otherwise you will need an adapter so that it goes into IEC receptacles on the wall that only accepts our type of IECs. If you have a universal female receptacle, you don't need to change anything.

Otherwise you will need an adapter so that it goes into IEC receptacles on the wall that only accepts our type of IECs. If you have a universal female receptacle, you don't need to change anything.
Interesting grouping of words ;)
Hope news channels and media houses don't surf the forum.
Cheers,
Raghu

IEC = the end that plugs into equipment.

IEC = the end that plugs into equipment.
IEC plugs can be both male and female. The female ones generally go into the audio equipment, while the male ones go into the source of power, which could be a power conditioner, UPS, CVT or, in rare cases, even the wall.

files

Wouldn't replacing the existing receptacles with something like this be easier?

Interesting grouping of words ;)
Hope news channels and media houses don't surf the forum.
Cheers,
Raghu
That's standard technical nomenclature Raghu. Nothing else :). Very commonly used in engineering for all kinds of stuff like joints, pipes, etc
Agree it could be somewhat unsettling to some :D

Get a good distributor with US type female sockets . simplest is to use the brass connectors ( not the steel ones). many of the new wall receptacles are not brass and they do spark with time as the connectors width widen and thats not good.
The US equipment with a green dot are best as they are meant for hospital equipment and hence have a tighter fit.

Get a good distributor with US type female sockets . simplest is to use the brass connectors ( not the steel ones). many of the new wall receptacles are not brass and they do spark with time as the connectors width widen and thats not good.
The US equipment with a green dot are best as they are meant for hospital equipment and hence have a tighter fit.

I am trying to get one of these made. But this requires buying the "US only" receptacles and assembling it all by some carpenter. Who makes reasonably priced brass receptacles ?

On the other hand, the universal type receptacles are widely available from GM, Schneider etc.

And who makes these ones with the green dot ?

Are good readymade solutions available ?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back