Do audiophile power cables make any difference?

hifimaddy

HI FM'S,

Do audiophile power cables make any difference? I am researching and checking online to purchase audiophile power cables and IEC adapters for a DIY project. then I was rethinking the situation. My audio/home theater room already has four to five plugs for audio equipment. It's directly from the electricity meter; it's not connected to any lights or other equipment. but the plugs are standard Indian Legrand plugs. So if I change only the audiophile cables, is it useful, or do I need to change the plugs too? And also, which type of material connectors are good? siver, gold-plated, or rhodium. I am expecting valuable and informative comments from you all, guys.

HI FM'S,

Do audiophile power cables make any difference? I am researching and checking online to purchase audiophile power cables and IEC adapters for a DIY project. then I was rethinking the situation. My audio/home theater room already has four to five plugs for audio equipment. It's directly from the electricity meter; it's not connected to any lights or other equipment. but the plugs are standard Indian Legrand plugs. So if I change only the audiophile cables, is it useful, or do I need to change the plugs too? And also, which type of material connectors are good? siver, gold-plated, or rhodium. I am expecting valuable and informative comments from you all, guys.
I see that you use Mr. Murthy's cables so, I would recommend that you get some power cables built by him. You will hear the change.

I see that you use Mr. Murthy's cables so, I would recommend that you get some power cables built by him. You will hear the change.
Yes, I am using Mr. Murthy's interconnect cables. They made my system a lot different from normal cables. Yes, I will connect with him and inquire about the power cables. But do I need to change the plugs too to gold-plated or any other kind of audiophile-grade material, or even do normal plugs do the job?

HI FM'S,

I have a different take on tackling power. So might be different to the general opinion you find else where.

All the supposedly audiophile power cables are designed to act as filters to filter the dirty power on the mains and drain out the EMI/RF getting into the cable.

1. The issue with power is 2 fold,
- 1. is that you could have dirty power in the main line
- 2. there could be EMI/RF getting in to the system through the power cables acting as an antenna. ( which is always the case )

2. For the above point No-2, Using shielded power cables, with the grounding at the wall plug or power extender side will help grounding the EMI/RF and avoid it from getting into the system.

3. Using a power conditioner to filter out the dirty power immediately after the wall socket helps. But that is only if you have dirty power. If you have dedicated lines from the main board, and no shared line with other house hold lighting or appliances, then unless you live in a apartment complex like me or have IT offices or industrial complexes nearby, then you wont have bad power on the mains anyways. So the use of a power conditioning device might not show any benefits in your case.

4. So ideally tackling power is 2 fold, filtering the dirty power out, and two keeping the EMI/RF out. How one does it depends on a lot of variables.

Hence you will find folks agreeing and disagreeing about power cables in equal measure.

I live in the heart of Hyderabad's IT district, surrounded by hundreds of IT offices and data centers, in a huge apartment complex of 2200 flats. My room's power line is shared with the Led lighting in my room. Thus, as can be expected, I have very bad power supply. So, my biggest gains have been on the power conditioning side, and hence subject to lesser variability with the use of so called audiophile power cords. A very high end power cable with better filtering and sheilding than what I currently use, might still show benefits. But it will be in the realm of diminishing returns, and there are definitely better gains to be had by investing the same amount else where in the system. I look for well made and decently made power cables and nothing else. I would always suggest going for shielded power cables - you have lots of options from sound foundations or puritan power.

Yes, I am using Mr. Murthy's interconnect cables. They made my system a lot different from normal cables. Yes, I will connect with him and inquire about the power cables. But do I need to change the plugs too to gold-plated or any other kind of audiophile-grade material, or even do normal plugs do the job?
No need for any audiophile-grade of plugs but pls make sure that they are of good quality and the grips are tight.

I have a different take on tackling power. So might be different to the general opinion you find else where.

All the supposedly audiophile power cables are designed to act as filters to filter the dirty power on the mains and drain out the EMI/RF getting into the cable.

1. The issue with power is 2 fold,
- 1. is that you could have dirty power in the main line
- 2. there could be EMI/RF getting in to the system through the power cables acting as an antenna. ( which is always the case )

2. For the above point No-2, Using shielded power cables, with the grounding at the wall plug or power extender side will help grounding the EMI/RF and avoid it from getting into the system.

3. Using a power conditioner to filter out the dirty power immediately after the wall socket helps. But that is only if you have dirty power. If you have dedicated lines from the main board, and no shared line with other house hold lighting or appliances, then unless you live in a apartment complex like me or have IT offices or industrial complexes nearby, then you wont have bad power on the mains anyways. So the use of a power conditioning device might not show any benefits in your case.

4. So ideally tackling power is 2 fold, filtering the dirty power out, and two keeping the EMI/RF out. How one does it depends on a lot of variables.

Hence you will find folks agreeing and disagreeing about power cables in equal measure.

I live in the heart of Hyderabad's IT district, surrounded by hundreds of IT offices and data centers, in a huge apartment complex of 2200 flats. My room's power line is shared with the Led lighting in my room. Thus, as can be expected, I have very bad power supply. So, my biggest gains have been on the power conditioning side, and hence subject to lesser variability with the use of so called audiophile power cords. A very high end power cable with better filtering and sheilding than what I currently use, might still show benefits. But it will be in the realm of diminishing returns, and there are definitely better gains to be had by investing the same amount else where in the system. I look for well made and decently made power cables and nothing else. I would always suggest going for shielded power cables - you have lots of options from sound foundations or puritan power.
Thanks for your good explanation.

1. I am living in an individual house, and there is a dedicated line to the home theatre room, but while the construction was going on, I told my electrician to do a separate line, and he was asking me if I needed that. He was a local guy, but 80 percent of the time he didn't interconnect with light, but I was not there during the construction, so I don't know it now.

2. There is no hissing or any other noise in my system; they are dead quiet while power is on. But I thought to upgrade the cable to fulfil everything.

3. I am not using any power conditioners right now, but I am finding a dealer for an online UPS just dedicated to the home theatre room, so it might help later.

4. The plugs are good quality, Legrand brand. It's not fancy, but it does its job.

No need for any audiophile-grade of plugs but pls make sure that they are of good quality and the grips are tight.
Yes, they are new and do their job. And it fits tightly when plugged in. but if I need to upgrade, I don't see any Indian gold-plated plugs online. Only UK, EU, and US plugs make it more complicated.

Thanks for your good explanation.

1. I am living in an individual house, and there is a dedicated line to the home theatre room, but while the construction was going on, I told my electrician to do a separate line, and he was asking me if I needed that. He was a local guy, but 80 percent of the time he didn't interconnect with light, but I was not there during the construction, so I don't know it now.

2. There is no hissing or any other noise in my system; they are dead quiet while power is on. But I thought to upgrade the cable to fulfil everything.

3. I am not using any power conditioners right now, but I am finding a dealer for an online UPS just dedicated to the home theatre room, so it might help later.

4. The plugs are good quality, Legrand brand. It's not fancy, but it does its job.
Sounds like you dont really have to worry about poor power on the mains. Whatever little is left of it, will be taken care of by the online UPS :)

So the only thing to consider is to avoid EMI/RF from entering into the chain through your power cables. And shielding helps here.

I dont want to sound like Iam being persistent, but if you are considering new power cables, do consider "Puritan classic power cables". Each one meter cable is 100 pounds in the UK, and these come well shielded and recommended. There are dealers in India if you look around, though Iam not familiar with our local pricing.

Another alternative is the "sound foundations" Barracuda elite mk2 which also has lead shielding. These are available from sound foundations in Mumbai.

I myself have'nt used them so far, as I have enough snake oil cables with me, all bought in my early days :eek:.

I told my electrician to do a separate line, and he was asking me if I needed that. He was a local guy, but 80 percent of the time he didn't interconnect with light, but I was not there during the construction, so I don't know it now.
What does "interconnect with light" mean? Was a timer used to achieve this 80% interconnection?

HI FM'S,

The difference between good cable and exotic cable MAY BE HEARD , if you have the right ears and if you are listening to highly resolving system with noise floor of less than 40 db.

Sounds like you dont really have to worry about poor power on the mains. Whatever little is left of it, will be taken care of by the online UPS :)

So the only thing to consider is to avoid EMI/RF from entering into the chain through your power cables. And shielding helps here.

I dont want to sound like Iam being persistent, but if you are considering new power cables, do consider "Puritan classic power cables". Each one meter cable is 100 pounds in the UK, and these come well shielded and recommended. There are dealers in India if you look around, though Iam not familiar with our local pricing.

Another alternative is the "sound foundations" Barracuda elite mk2 which also has lead shielding. These are available from sound foundations in Mumbai.

I myself have'nt used them so far, as I have enough snake oil cables with me, all bought in my early days :eek:.
I will consider this and check it once it comes under my budget. and thank you for your informative comments.

What does "interconnect with light" mean? Was a timer used to achieve this 80% interconnection?
I mean, my plan was to take a direct line from the electric metre to the audio equipment. My audio room is not connected to my house, so we actually did this, but inside the room, maybe the electrician took that phase connection shared with bulbs. I don't know how these work.

The difference between good cable and exotic cable MAY BE HEARD , if you have the right ears and if you are listening to highly resolving system with noise floor of less than 40 db.
I am looking for good-quality cables that will be better than the factory cables, which I am already using in the systems. but no plan for exotic cables. 🙂

I mean, my plan was to take a direct line from the electric metre to the audio equipment. My audio room is not connected to my house, so we actually did this, but inside the room, maybe the electrician took that phase connection shared with bulbs. I don't know how these work.
You could have used solar based system for your media room. So the argument that the power that reaches your home is not pure won’t hold ;)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back