usb cables

square_wave

Anyone played around with usb cables ? I understand the 90ohm spec deviation from the 90ohm impedance end-to-end is the biggie factor here.

The ifi gemini seems to take this spec very seriousely..
Accessory – Gemini

Any thoughts ?

Have a gemini and have tried a few others as well including the well regarded TotalDAC cable. The gemini sounded better than everything else I've heard. It also is extremely well built for the money.

ROC, have you tried splitting a USB cable into Power and data separately ?

Have a gemini and have tried a few others as well including the well regarded TotalDAC cable. The gemini sounded better than everything else I've heard. It also is extremely well built for the money.

Thanks ROC. Where did you pick your cable from ?

Have you tried their micro iusb power thingy which if combined with the gemini takes things to the next level ?

micro – iUSB

ROC, have you tried splitting a USB cable into Power and data separately ?

The power lead in my case was disconnected until yesterday as my dac doesn't require power from the usb cable. Only the data end was plugged in. However after I connected the Uptone regen in the chain I had to plug in both ends or else the regen wouldn't work.

Thanks ROC. Where did you pick your cable from ?

Have you tried their micro iusb power thingy which if combined with the gemini takes things to the next level ?

micro iUSB

I picked it up from the ifi india distributor. I also got the i-usbpower on demo. However in my case it brought out zero change since the dac ignores the usb +5v anyway.

Last edited:
I just perform a surgery on the cable and disconnected the power leads and connected it to a separate cable which I power from a power bank

I just perform a surgery on the cable and disconnected the power leads and connected it to a separate cable which I power from a power bank

What cable did you use?
Can you give some detail of the procedure?
Thanks

It's pretty simple. Just check this image http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...our-front-panel-usb-ports-multimeter-usb2.png

Remove the insulation and shielding from your main USB cable and cut the red and black wires. Terminate/ insulate these for one side with insulation tape.

Cut out the end connector from a second USB cable and expose all wires. Just put a tape and insulate out the green and white cables from the 2nd one.
Connect it to the red and black wires only of the first cable ( other end) to those of the the 2nd cable . There would be metal shielding on all cables.
Just link them from all 3 cables together.

Now just put insulation tape on all joins and you are done

Last edited:
square_wave,

One of the best no nonsense made to 90 ohm spec is Supra Cable, Sweden.
Holding to the spec I found out is much harder than it seems.
But Supra does this - very good cables for not a lot of money.

Music Ranch, Bangalore are the local D&D for Bangalore.

Regards.

I got the USB split cable by Audiocadabra (indian company based in Mumbai) they have been good to deal with , the cable based on 15 mins of (unbroken) hearing is really good . Apparently made to USB specs.

I got the USB split cable by Audiocadabra (indian company based in Mumbai) they have been good to deal with , the cable based on 15 mins of (unbroken) hearing is really good . Apparently made to USB specs.

Arj, I'd like to hear more feedback on this company.
I have also been using this company for some time but would like to know if other FMs have heard their products.

This is an interesting topic that I was wishing to delve into since a few days. My predicament is that my DAC sits on my Audio rack which is a bit far from my PC (Audio Source). As a result of this I am forced to use a local 3m USB printer cable. For experimentation purposes, I kept the brought the DAC close to the PC and tried a .5m cable instead. Honestly, I could not feel any difference.

I know a 3m cable can be taken as blasphemy but I stated my limitation.

Also, I use WASAPI (event) settings for the DAC using Foobar & Jriver Media Center.

I would also like you guys to consider that it is not that the system is not resolved to let me know the kind of audio loss that the USB cable could be bringing about. For everyone's knowledge, changing settings like from WASAPI event style data feed to Direct Sound brings about a change in SQ, Changing the small capacitor on my super tweeter changes the tonality of the sound. Even the speaker cables and interconnects between the amps make a solid change in the sound. So the crux is that I am realizing the changes that come about in SQ due to changes made in the chain, so how come this USB cable isnt making me realise the same?

In case someone in Delhi/NCR has experimented with USB cables, I would like to try it out first before I need to rob a bank to purchase these insanely priced USB cables.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back