USB cables

sidvee

What is going on with USB cables? I remember a few years ago, just when I was getting into computer based audio, I started a thread on HFV asking for advice on best USB cables around $100 and got laughed at soundly, mostly people saying that there was no difference between a printer cable and the fancy ones, that digital is all 0's and 1's, etc. etc. Well a few years later this seems to be the scenario on theses:
1 https://shunyata.com/products/digital-cables/sigma-usb/
$2000 for 1.5m
2. https://shunyata.com/products/digital-cables/alpha-usb/
$1000 for 1.5m
3. https://www.facebook.com/382963145238718/photos/a.1146831565518535/1151542788380746/?type=3&theater
Final touch audio 1m $850
And a lot of users are swearing by these. There are many more in the $500 to $600/m range like wireworld platinum at $700 and Audioquest Diamond at $650 - $700.
Most of the $350 - $400 cables (curious cables etc) seem cheap compared to the above.
Wonder what changed that the 0's and 1's are sounding a lot better now?
Cheers,
Sid

Sid, I'm using Lush 2 and it sounds awesome. Noticeable improvement from my previous cable. So may be higher models may still sound better.

For me a USB cable does change as much as what would an interconnect or speaker cable would
I also agree that just a year ago I just did not bother with it and was using normal printer USB cable

Sid, I'm using Lush 2 and it sounds awesome. Noticeable improvement from my previous cable. So may be higher models may still sound better.
Even I picked up a Lush^2 recently - the construction of the cable is so robust and there is a marked improvement over my earlier normal USB cable that came with my DAC.

Here is a discussion
I am sure you have already seen it.

Here is a discussion
I am sure you have already seen it.
Yes square, I have read this. However not sure what a $2000 usb cable brings to the table. Will try to listen to down the road.
Cheers,
Sid

Yes square, I have read this. However not sure what a $2000 usb cable brings to the table. Will try to listen to down the road.
Cheers,
Sid

Even I am not convinced with 2000$ cost for USB cable.
I do see Ethernet cables also in the same way, very expensive. May be less number of people buying hence the premium price.
And another thing is power cord it can go up to 40,000$. I do understand power cable make difference but still not convinced with
this high cost for a meter of power cord. May it is worth for people having a system worth 50,000$.

What is going on with USB cables? I remember a few years ago, just when I was getting into computer based audio, I started a thread on HFV asking for advice on best USB cables around $100 and got laughed at soundly, mostly people saying that there was no difference between a printer cable and the fancy ones, that digital is all 0's and 1's, etc. etc. Well a few years later this seems to be the scenario on theses:
1 https://shunyata.com/products/digital-cables/sigma-usb/
$2000 for 1.5m
2. https://shunyata.com/products/digital-cables/alpha-usb/
$1000 for 1.5m
3. https://www.facebook.com/382963145238718/photos/a.1146831565518535/1151542788380746/?type=3&theater
Final touch audio 1m $850
And a lot of users are swearing by these. There are many more in the $500 to $600/m range like wireworld platinum at $700 and Audioquest Diamond at $650 - $700.
Most of the $350 - $400 cables (curious cables etc) seem cheap compared to the above.
Wonder what changed that the 0's and 1's are sounding a lot better now?
Cheers,
Sid
They have become 1's and 0's now.
1 followed by a few 0's in $ terms.
Cheers,
Raghu

Been thinking of upgrading my Audioquest Forest USB cable to the Furutech GT2.. Is it worth spending the $100 on the Furutech to connect my laptop to the Lyngdorf 2170 amp? Also will the GT2 Pro USB be able to make any more difference?

Cheers,
Sid

Yes, a reasonably priced cable should be able to take care of the few issues that they talk about. I keep hearing from people in the industry that beyond a price point, in the cable world it is also about modifying the sound in certain ways. Depending upon the current tonality and goals for a certain system, someone can " prefer " a certain sound and attribute it to " capability "of the cable. And of course buy it.

Yes, a reasonably priced cable should be able to take care of the few issues that they talk about. I keep hearing from people in the industry that beyond a price point, in the cable world it is also about modifying the sound in certain ways. Depending upon the current tonality and goals for a certain system, someone can " prefer " a certain sound and attribute it to " capability "of the cable. And of course buy it.
I agree Square, I am not a cable disbeliever by any means, but I do find a usb cable at this level of pricing to be excessive. I have also observed in the past that once you cross a certain cost threshold - not only for cables but even audio equipment - most of the improvements are sideways - where in a user's personal preference will play a bigger role rather than outright and visible improvement in the sound quality.
Cheers,
Sid

<snip>...once you cross a certain cost threshold - not only for cables but even audio equipment - most of the improvements are sideways - where in a user's personal preference will play a bigger role rather than outright and visible improvement in the sound quality.
Absolutely right! There comes a point where the difference is in millimeters rather than in feet and then you begin to realize that the miniscule changes are not even worth the implementation. Then, most of the perceived changes are in the mind.

In my opinion, no. For a noticable upgrade - the Lush or Curious Cable. But in your particular setup, maybe even those will not make a BIG difference.
You are probably right as you have modified my USB port as well for minimum noise... So again will try and borrow a fancy USB cable in my system to check before spending money... With the amount of money you have saved me vis a vis the modified laptop and speaker polarity issues, I owe you quite a few round of drinks now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Very relevant thread - I too was of the view that USB cables shouldn’t matter. I started with audio quest pearl and did some back to back with printer cable and concluded USB cables don’t matter. My friend got his JSSG360 cable and when we tried it we could immediately notice the improvement in SQ. So I switched to JSSG360. last week unfortunately he upgraded to Lush^2 and got me going down the barrel. Lush^2 arrived yesterday from Netherlands and +1 for it. Soundstage and depth and coherence further improved to a new level.

Very relevant thread - I too was of the view that USB cables shouldn’t matter. I started with audio quest pearl and did some back to back with printer cable and concluded USB cables don’t matter. My friend got his JSSG360 cable and when we tried it we could immediately notice the improvement in SQ. So I switched to JSSG360. last week unfortunately he upgraded to Lush^2 and got me going down the barrel. Lush^2 arrived yesterday from Netherlands and +1 for it. Soundstage and depth and coherence further improved to a new level.
I don't understand. Isn't the Lush^2 the Lush+JSSG360 implementation?

Just to share my experience, though somewhat relevant but not 100% to this thread, I would advise that those who have AES and/or coax input(s) on their DACs should try to move away from USB because in my opinion AES/coax sounds way better than USB.

My setup too has a Win 10 computer as source but then I use Dante as connectivity wherein I have a USB to Dante converter on computer side while on DAC side I have Dante to AES feeding Schiit Yggdrasil and Prism Sound Callia.

In addition to these dacs I have experience with Benchmark ( more than 10 y old; yes, Dante changes performance of this DAC too), Violectric V800, Bricasti M1 SE, MSB Analog and Playback Design Merlot.

Just to share my experience, though somewhat relevant but not 100% to this thread, I would advise that those who have AES and/or coax input(s) on their DACs should try to move away from USB because in my opinion AES/coax sounds way better than USB.

My setup too has a Win 10 computer as source but then I use Dante as connectivity wherein I have a USB to Dante converter on computer side while on DAC side I have Dante to AES feeding Schiit Yggdrasil and Prism Sound Callia.

In addition to these dacs I have experience with Benchmark ( more than 10 y old; yes, Dante changes performance of this DAC too), Violectric V800, Bricasti M1 SE, MSB Analog and Playback Design Merlot.
How does one play dsd 2x with AES/Coax without down converting? (Some DACs won't play DSD either with AES/EBU, some do allow DSD playback via AES/EBU but not 2x DSD).
Cheers,
Sid

How does one play dsd 2x with AES/Coax without down converting? (Some DACs won't play DSD either with AES/EBU, some do allow DSD playback via AES/EBU but not 2x DSD).
Cheers,
Sid
Yup, you caught me there and a good piece of information for new entrants in this hobby.

As for me, yes, despite my Callia is DSD capable and had Benchmark DAC2 and have listened to DSD on them briefly but I have a weak mind/heart :)..don't want to be a format-driven listener rather would stick to be a content-driven listener.

But again, I will still insist giving Dante a try because it is able to remove some sort of grunge from the music that makes it more palpable.

Back