USB / reclocker / regenerator / DDC (digital to digital convertor)

Okay
I tried extensive listening with and without the uptone regen
I don't have any golden eaes but I could clearly make out without the uptone regen the sound was way more harsher which is clear indication of more jitter

As explained earlier in the thread it could be due to various reasons, mainly not so high grade USB implementation in my dac and also my source which is a raspberry pi which has many known issues but it's made at a price so can't complain much

@rikhav...actually clock makes a big difference. Normally PC has very basic clock, so any USB regenerator with good or better clock will always sound good. If your DAC reclocks all the incoming signal (USB,SPDIF etc) with it inferior clock than there is only possibility of slight improvement because anyhow incoming signal was already improved in some regards.

Every digital device has clock be it mobile phone ,camera or DAP, CD player, DAC..etc etc..
so any device with good clock will perform better. so in this case USB regenrator and Reclocker with good clocks will sound better. Even then source clock-means standard PC or any linux based computer has good clock then it will sound good.
my take would be to discard PC/Laptop and use linux based single borad PC , this way you wont be needing regenerator/reclocker primarily.
this is the first step for improvement in sound. all regenerator and reclocker matters only when your DAC does not reclock the signal.
In my case , DAC only reclocks incoming USB signal and for the rest of the inputs, it uses source clock. So from the DDC reclocker which has good clock i give I2S input to DAC. SO in my case clocks matter and in future I will provide new clock connections to SOTM , Singxer DDC .
and one more thing , power supply matters and it brings a audible difference if all devices are powered by good linear power supply. no matter how good power supply input you give to your PC or laptop, still noise is generated by PC in the form of EMI/RFI. So if you are using PC , then spending money on regnerator/ rclocker is not useful IMO. YMMV

Hi @dheerajin

Absolutely concur with you on all points in your post
Power supply and good clock are absolute must for a good sound

I always thought that my dac would be reclocking the incoming signal so I should try once without uptone regen and check how it sounds

So either it does not reclock incoming signal or the source clock also matters a lot and my source is not up to the mark

I use a SBC with Linux OS but it's a raspberry pi. It's not meant for audio so I will not get into much details of it

This video could not come at a better time
The CEO of ps audio also accepts some things are hard to explain scientifically

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back