User review for Pioneer SP-PK51FS 5.1 speakers !

Guys I have received a lot of PMs asking me where I bought the setup from. Apologies I couldnt answer to each of you individually.
I bought the setup from Aman Singh at Avenue Sounds. You can contact him at 08898153922 or at [email protected].

The Yamaha 671 was for around 34k and the SP-PK51FS 5.1 speakers were for 43k. The Pioneer SP-PK21BS 5.1 speaker set that I gifted my brother was for 33k. I dont know what the current pricing is but you can always negotiate.

Oh btw here is an advise to all those who are going in for the package of AVR and speakers from him- negotiate to have the Step down transformer included as part of the package... I got mine for free as part of the Package deal :)

Happy hunting !

Yes its 7.1 as amp config & decoder in AVR is auto.I dont have problem with HTPC,but HIMEDIA.

I kept all raw,but AVR shows DTS even after I play AVATAR Bluray.In info(Himedia)it shows DTS-HD,but I feel it down samples audio to DTS.
I have kept DTS HD audio output as 7.1..and rest everything as raw..
and my receiver shows DTS HD MA in info..
if you have kept DTS HD audio output as 5.1, it will only pass core and thats why you get this error..

Came across this gorgeous pic of the Pioneer speakers on another forum and cdnt help but share it. As you might realize I am hopelessly in love with my setup :) This is among the best decision that I have made in my life and to think I went in for my setup without any audition.. Sometimes fortune favours the brave !!

webbs.jpg

Oh by the way I finally ran YPAO on my setup as I sorted out the speakers's final position in my bedroom and might have to ask for some clarifications from you guys regarding the settings. I hardly ever turn on the subwoofer as the bass from the Floor standers is good enough for me but in the rare instance that I do I would like to know the ideal crossover freq. Would be posting technical details later in the day !

Last edited:
Folks I need some suggestions regarding the crossover frequency of the sub. I finally ran the YPAO on the Yamaha 671 and there were a few results that I want to discuss here.

The AVR termed all my 5 speakers including the centre and the surround ones (which are bookshelves) to be large. I have read that ideally all speakers including the front Floorstanders should be changed to 'small' to provide a better management of the low frequencies in association with the sub. Should I manually change the speakers to 'small'?

Also the sub has been reduced to -10dB so should I let it remain there. I changed the setting of the centre from -2.5dB to -3.5dB as it was proving to be too overpowering. Hope that's all right?

Now this brings me to my final question- the crossover for the sub has been fixed at 40Hz so when I change the front speakers to 'small' should I change this frequency? Also on the sub should I keep the freq dial at max which is 150Hz or should I keep it somewhere in between? The phase is set at 0 .. hope that's okay?

I am attaching the related technical sheet alongside.

captureon.jpg

pioneersw8contrls890.jpg

Cheers !

Bass management is really important.I tried CO as 100hz,& my all speakers are been outputting smoothly well than 80Hz. One need to do R&D.at profx,I found CO usual setting as 120Hz.

Not going with the THX recommendation but after intensive listening I too concluded that 80 to 90 hz gives optimum performance with speakers set to small.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk

My take on this.
- 671 assumes large speakers to be the ones with woofer size more than 16 cms i.e 6.2 inch. This includes the hard edges of the speakers and not only the woofer size. I'm not sure when other companies mention woofer size, if they include the edges as well.
- Typically when the speakers are marked as large, more low frequencies are sent to the all the speakers. So the sub is fed (through YPAO adjustement) with as low frequency as possible. In your case 40hz.
- Most 'decent bookshelves' are capable of producing till 60 hz (exceptions are always there). In your case the rears are at 65hz before roll off.
- Since your sub is marked at 40hz, therefore all other frequencies would be sent to other speakers, including the rear bookshelves. Note they cannot reproduce frequencies lower than 65hz without rolloff. So you will find a dip in the band 40-65hz in the rear, if at all the sound travels to the rears at those frequencies. You can adjust for this with the speaker level equilizers by increasing the sound for the frequency band, but then again it would be a strain on the bookshelves.
- Typically all sorts of sound/vocal are taken care off till 60 hz, baring some. So if you manually overide the YPAO (after running the YPAO) and set the speakers to large, but mark the cross over frequency to 60-65 hz, then the 'complete' band of sound would be handled by all the speakers, where as the sub will take care of the very low frequencies and not strain the speakers. This will also ensure the sound of jet fighter stays the same when it is travelling from front to rear channels and not become lean as it moves to the rears. Assuming your bookshelves can actually play 65hz without roll off.
- Adjusting the reference db is a matter of what you are listening to. The YPAO will by default set 'centre' speaker a bit high for better speach (40-75% of a movie, depending on genre). If you play around with DSP settings you will notice it adjusts all these parametres based on the genre of movie you are viewing. For e.x set to high dynamic ratio across speakers for 'Sci-Fic' movies, dominant speach from centre for 'Drama' etc.
- There is a school of thought who consider the sub set to 120hz is good for rest of the speakers. One way it is that all other speakers are not strained, also there is no phase issue. But I feel till 60-80 hz typically the sound that is created is more follows axis, kick drum, low male voice etc and therefore they should be produced by respective speakers rather than one corner of the room. Frequencies lower than these create 'ambience' and they do not have to follow a particular axis. But having said that its very subjective.
- Try playing around with different setting and internet and it should be fairly easy.

Any suggestion on whether one should set Subs (AVR Marantz SR6005) to LFE + main or LFE.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back