User review for Pioneer SP-PK51FS 5.1 speakers !

mav

Greetings folks !

I have been off the radar for quite some time now. I know that's a bit selfish of me for not reviewing the setup that I got for myself after all the help/pointers that members here provided me with but in my defense I have been totally tied down with work. I hope to make up for my ingratitude today.

As some of you might be aware I had got myself Yamaha 671 & Pioneer SP-PK51FS couple of months back and have been living a dream ever since. I wouldn't like to talk about the Yamaha 671 here because this AVR has already been reviewed and dissected in detail. If I had to sum up the 671 in one word it would be - "perfect". This AVR handles everything thrown at it with effortless ease and the results are outstanding.

This review is about the Pioneer speakers. I had booked these speakers without hearing them because no one in India had these till the point I got mine. I guess I was the first person to get these speakers in the nation and thats something I am justifiably proud of :) Its a huge risk ordering speakers without auditioning them but in this case I had a gut-feel that I am doing the right thing and these speakers have not just proved me right but also surpassed my expectations !!

Users the world over are wondering how a speaker system that is comparatively so inexpensive can sound so good and this is one question I would like to know the answer to one day.. After two months of sustained music listening and movie watching I wish I could find something negative to say about them but no matter how minutely I try and find anything negative the fact is these babies are just impeccable.

The sheer clarity and the sound stage of the Pioneers is something that has to be experienced first hand to understand just how good these speakers are. As for the bass- there are times when I dont even need the sub-woofer as the towers seem totally well equipped to handle everything that the AVR feeds them.

Now this review for the 51 FS can also be co related with a review for the 21 BS as the 5.1 setup consists of two 51 floorstanders in the front and two 21 book shelves in the rear. Even the smaller 21 BS hold their own when it comes to performance and are almost as good as the bigger 51 FS. The only thing that the 21s might lack somewhat when compared to the giant 51s is the bass output but again that's marginal.

Needless to add I am totally satisfied with these speakers and am fortunate that I came across the glowing reviews all over Internet that helped me decide. The majestic highs and the well defined lows are a class apart !

For the technically oriented here are some spec sheets:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/SP-PK51FS Single Sheet.pdf

I had auditioned various speaker packages but nothing comes close to this speaker package not only in this price range but also if one extends the price upto a lakh. I know it sounds like a long shot and some might tale it as a overly proud owner's ramblings but am prepared to wager :)

If members have any query please feel free to shoot !

Cheers !

Last edited:
Would the sound quality of Pioneer SP-PK21BS be close to the ones you have? CNET have given them glorious reviews and I did find a mention on some website that its available in India at 21K...given its 400 dollars..I am surprised the Indian price is the same although not sure where it is sold. any suggestions? thx

Would the sound quality of Pioneer SP-PK21BS be close to the ones you have? CNET have given them glorious reviews and I did find a mention on some website that its available in India at 21K...given its 400 dollars..I am surprised the Indian price is the same although not sure where it is sold. any suggestions? thx

Yes I mentioned that in my review. The Pioneer SP-PK21BS comprises of 2 pairs of 21BS speakers both for the front and the rear and differs from the Pioneer SP-PK51FS only in this aspect. The Pioneer SP-PK51FS has 51 FS in the front and 21 BS in the rear. The Central speaker and the subwoofer are common in both the packages. Therefore the sound quality of both these packages is more or less similar... it all boils down to one's preference(floorstanders vs Bookshelves) and the space one has.

As for the availability these speakers are available only 'direct from the pioneer US website" so the 21k quote in websites is misleading. The last I remember the Pioneer SP-PK21BS was for around 31k on delivery in Mumbai. A fellow member called Naimesh had purchased these speakers and had high praise for these. Naimesh and me had sourced these from a dealer based in Mumbai.

Wow..thats awesome !

The much awaited review finallyy.....i am in queue to get this package..may be i am in top 5 list :) as i have booked my Pioneer SP-PK51FS 5.1 with Pioneer 521 AVR.....

I am super excited to hear them in full glory now :) once they arrive in FEB end..

One thing i want to know about....

How is the performance of SW-8...all i could gather from forums is that SUB is the weak link of this package....what is your take on this..... ?

I like deep n warm bass.......so will it suffice to my needs...?

Hi mav,

I was waiting for your review abt the AVR & speaker combo.Glad to know that you like them much.
Now how is sound Q when you play CDs/Flacs? How is bass & midrange? Is treble smooth or edgy?Is sound warm ,neutral OR bright?
When you play movie,how much volume you need on Yamaha diaplay?

Thanks.

Thanks mav for that review. Have you posted pics of your setup? If not, please upload some images.

@ny2j: Congratulations mate. I can assure you that you are in for a thrill ride. To answer your query about the bass well I agree that the SW-8 is supposed to be the 'weak' link but I cdnt find any fault. The speakers by themselves deliver a 'punchy' base and added to the subwoofer the effect is just 'perfect'. The bass doesn't overwhelm you and there are times I have had to pause a movie midway just to gloss over the speakers. It sounds silly but there are times I have been smiling at the speakers and thanking them :) I guess I am turning into a nutcase !! :)

@spirovious: Thanks mate. Long time.. hope things are great with you. The sound is 'neutral' just the way I had hoped it would be. The treble was my biggest worry as I just cant stand the edgy notes but these speakers handle the treble like silk.. These speakers do need volume to come alive but then again that's just the impedance I guess. Once the volume knob is set at the desired level the midrange just comes alive. I haven't played too many CDs and flacs and most of my experience is based on Blu Ray rips and mp3s.

I had promised you an audition long time back but then I got busy. This goes out to you and other Mumbai based members- as a way of thanking this forum I would like to send out an invitation for an evening of detailed reviews. We can decide on a mutually convenient time.

Cheers !

thanks mav. what is your room size?

I the middle of shifting houses so I haven't used to YPAO to calibrate the speakers yet. At present I have attached the speakers to my PC and am using them in a 15*10 room.

Nice review mav, where are you put up? I too wish to drop in on a Sunday if possible for a quick listening session.

Nice review mav, where are you put up? I too wish to drop in on a Sunday if possible for a quick listening session.

Thanks mate ! I am based in Andheri(w). I might be off to Shirdi this weekend but in case I am in town Sunday is fine.

@ny2j: Congratulations mate. I can assure you that you are in for a thrill ride. To answer your query about the bass well I agree that the SW-8 is supposed to be the 'weak' link but I cdnt find any fault. The speakers by themselves deliver a 'punchy' base and added to the subwoofer the effect is just 'perfect'. The bass doesn't overwhelm you and there are times I have had to pause a movie midway just to gloss over the speakers. It sounds silly but there are times I have been smiling at the speakers and thanking them :) I guess I am turning into a nutcase !! :)

I am really excited to listen to them now :yahoo:

I think if the subwoofer blends so well with the other speakers it will definately please ma ears...and most importantly the sound is neutral...no coloration is what i was looking for...but the wait to get them home really kills you.......:mad:

1 more query....Hws the performance of FS in stereo mode for listening music ?

@spirovious : sure mate! the more members the better for an unbiased review ! :)

@ny2j: I have used the FS in pure direct mode for music and have one word- heavenly. I know all these nice words would be making this wait unbearable for you but the wait is going to be worth it. It was a 6 month long journey for me ..from researching to the time I had these babies in my home :)

:cool:
@ny2j: I have used the FS in pure direct mode for music and have one word- heavenly. I know all these nice words would be making this wait unbearable for you but the wait is going to be worth it. It was a 6 month long journey for me ..from researching to the time I had these babies in my home :)

Yeah Bro...i too did numerous auditions...learned diff sound signatures of different brands.....:clapping: .... bt finally squared on this one without a second thought....majorly owing to budget and rave reviews all over

As They say .."Chase is better than Kill" :cool: i have thoroughly enjoyed this experience.... now after reading ur experience...Feb end seems way ahead.... :sad:

ll collect all the desired ammunition ....the mkv's till den....wooh m so relieved after hearing your review...coz this is ma frst major import product...

Hi All and Mav,

I have just joined this forum today. Excellent user review of Pioneer PK 51FS5.1

I have been going through different threads in HiFivision over the last few days, as I am trying to create my first home theatre and after a lot of researched have thought of the following:

1. TV - Samsung Plasma - PS51D550
2. AVR - Denon - 1912
3. Speaker system - Pioneer PK 51FS5 5.1 or Wharfdale Valdus 300 HTS.
4. Buy and decent blu ray player.

Need help and guidance on the following:
1. Will this be a decent system and any issues foreseen by the experts?
2.Which speaker system to go for and how to buy - since I still havent found any dealer etc to buy Pioneer PK 51FSS

If I have made any mistake, I apologise as this is my first post ever.

Regards,

AVS

Hi mav,

I was waiting for your review abt the AVR & speaker combo.Glad to know that you like them much.
Now how is sound Q when you play CDs/Flacs? How is bass & midrange? Is treble smooth or edgy?Is sound warm ,neutral OR bright?
When you play movie,how much volume you need on Yamaha diaplay?

Thanks.
hi Spiro,
I played (and playing) lot of FLACs (through USB of amplifier)and bass and midrange is good..
but I find it little better when played with center speaker..
with 2ch stereo sound is more clear but with center it sounds more full and enriched..may be because its just BS..
I agree with mav..Even with 21BS for music playback you don't miss subwoofer...bookselves will do the job..
regarding movie playback for bollywood rips(DTS sound), around -15 to -20..
for hollywood rips around -10 to -20(DTS )..don't know why the difference?
with DTS HD MA, volume around -20 is ok..
my room size is 12*15..
@mav, how many hours you played your speakers? because after 10 hours a day for month(~300 hours) SQ of my speakers improved around 25%
~Naimesh

Last edited:
Hi guys,
im so impressed with this review for Pioneer SP-PK51FS 5.1 speakers.

As i have a pioneer receiver i would like to go in for these.

Any idea how to get these in India?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back