Using car speakers in HT setup

prakasse

Hi,

I am planing for a budget Home theatre. AVR for around 15K( yamaha or onkyo). I see that5 the speakers are costly in the market and am thinking of DIY route.

I use JBL speakers in my car and they sound good. Can I use car spekaers in home theatre setup.

2 pairs of JBL 6"*9" GTO 937(3 way speaker system) speakers will be around 7k which i can use for front L&R, Rear L&R.

JBL Car & Marine Audio

Also i see that impedance of these speakers is 2 ohms. whereas amplifier impedance will be around 8 ohms. Will the amplifier be able to drive these speakers without any problem for a long time.

If this idea is not viable, then i am ready to go for bookshelf speaker setup with 5.5" to 6.5" midrange and 1 inch tweeter.

For this i need good drivers. which one will be better? paper cone, rubber or kelvar. I see kelvar is used in Usher/wharfedale speakers and i am inclined towards it. I am in b'lore and can you tell from where can i source the kelvar or other drivers. One more thing is that it should be value for money and not pricey.

A wharfedale 9.1 cost 13k now. My plan is to get atelast 3-4 speakes within 13K. Boxes i can source from SP road. Would be great if some one can help me with crossover too once the drivers and speakers are finalised.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Hi,

Car spks r is good choice as avr(highend) can drive spk upto 4 ohm.

In your budget youcan get 4 spk(frt,sur) for 14k.
you can get Wharf 9 (7.5k)& rear(7k)-4 spk or
mission m33i(7k frt) + Mh3 system (7k ,cent & bipole surr)-5 spk system

This will do if you have avr (14k min)

other option DVDp with onboard decoders & 5.1 powered spk opt with 5.1 ana input.(creative etc)

Hi,

Car spks r is good choice as avr(highend) can drive spk upto 4 ohm.

My fear is that these car epakers atre 2 ohms and will they create any problem for ampliier

In your budget youcan get 4 spk(frt,sur) for 14k.
you can get Wharf 9 (7.5k)& rear(7k)-4 spk or
mission m33i(7k frt) + Mh3 system (7k ,cent & bipole surr)-5 spk system

Mission M33i looks like a floorstander and is it available for 7K???? where in blore i can audition this?

Thanks,
Prakash

Do listen and check out first. Might not always work. I have an 8" JBL Tube Subwoofer in my car and nothing that I came across in that price range of 5K gave out the thump the JBL subwoofer gave in my car. I mean in 5.1 systems, 2.1 systems etc. and standalone subs that I checked there was nothing in the 5K range that sounded anywhere near as good as the JBL in my car. I thought along your lines and tried connecting the JBL at home, but it never sounded that good or gave the thump that it delivers even now in my car.

My fear is that these car epakers atre 2 ohms and will they create any problem for ampliier

Mission M33i looks like a floorstander and is it available for 7K???? where in blore i can audition this?

Thanks,
Prakash

Sorry, its m30i bookshelf.
Dont try car spk with AVR.It will damage both spk & AVR.

Thanks,
Prakash

Car speakers sound best in car like environments which unfortunately our houses are not. I suggest to invest in small satellite or bookshelf speakers. Nothing wrong in building up a HT in small steps with decent components.

Also with 2 ohm impedance, I doubt most AVR will handle these. It may end up shutting it down more often than not by going into protection mode.

PM me if you are interested in a used 5.1 speaker setup incl. subwoofer for 7-8K. Not mine but I could source one for you.

Tnx. Cranky. I myself a home builder liked your analysis very much. I feel it is One of the best I read on this forum. Keep it up.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back