Using equalizer with Cambridge CXN V2

abawa

Hi
i am planning to add an equaliser to my CXN V2 - Intergrated amp setup
For best output, i am planning to connect digital out from CXN to digital in of EQ, and digital out from EQ to digital in of CXN - to utilise EQ in digital domain and DAC of CXN
Rest chain is analog out of CXN to Integrated Amp
Will this setup work? As a source if i select digital in on CXN, will the streaming apps work?

Hi
For best output, i am planning to connect digital out from CXN to digital in of EQ, and digital out from EQ to digital in of CXN - to utilise EQ in digital domain and DAC of CXN
Will this setup work? As a source if i select digital in on CXN, will the streaming apps work?
I don’t know and never tried it (am against EQ, that’s a separate matter). But you can try writing to Cambridge support with the query. In my experience they are responsive and useful with their replies.

Hi
Mostly it May not Work; in your Planned Setup with EQ, what input of Cxn You will Select for Playing?

If you select Coaxial input, the Streamer may not work in the background to Provide Coax Output to the digital EQ ;
Well if you use a USB input via A PC connection to USB in, Coax Output will Work but after EQ the Coax input may or May not work, so this option can be tried, as I have successfully used Cxn v2 as DDC that's USB to Coax converter to a external dac. If you use another External DAC, the digital EQ plan can be achieved easily.

Hi
Which EQ are you planning to get that has digital in and digital out ?

i was planning to use native streaming apps- tidal, chromecast, quobuz or NAS sources. Not planning to use USB via PC, since in that case i can achieve desired EQ from software via PC and hardware EQ is no longer required. In control app or device menu, i can select one source - either of streaming app inputs or USB or D1/2 digital sources. So feels like its not possible, still i will enquire about it from Cambridge.
EQ i am considering as of now - Behringer DEQ2496 has analog connectivity options too, but it will unnecessary bring in ADC, DAC in signal path

I feel you will be spoiling the good sound that the Cxn is giving. The Dac in the Cxn is very good and does not require EQ.
So go for it only if you want to experiment.

i m currently in between measuring and intergrating dual subs in my HT using minidsp umik1 and 2x4hd. Eventually i will measure my stereo setup response, which is in my living room. Being living room, i can't change anything there. So expecting to see dips/ nulls in response curves due to room modes, which the engineer in me won't be able to unsee.
So pre emtively started to explore, what can be done and all digital domain PEQ is what seemed best option in this setup.
i believe an external DAC ( EQ digital out to external DAC digital in) will enable it , with no issues. But its not clear what i lose related to upsampling and DAC which CXN has.
Will keep posting here progress of my endeavour.

i was planning to use native streaming apps- tidal, chromecast, quobuz or NAS sources. Not planning to use USB via PC, since in that case i can achieve desired EQ from software via PC and hardware EQ is no longer required. In control app or device menu, i can select one source - either of streaming app inputs or USB or D1/2 digital sources. So feels like its not possible, still i will enquire about it from Cambridge.
EQ i am considering as of now - Behringer DEQ2496 has analog connectivity options too, but it will unnecessary bring in ADC, DAC in signal path

This is interesting as I was also looking for some options for hardware EQ. However I don't believe the scenario you have outlined would work as inputs on CXN are mutually exclusive. I am also not sure when Digital out on CXN is enabled, analog out can be enabled and vice versa.

Behringer DEQ 2496 can be used for EQ and Room EQ. It also has an auto EQ mode where it captures the Mic input, generates a pink noise and automatically generates a flat frequency response. But this product primarily meant for studio or live recording applications and I believe it would be an overkill for your use case. Maybe something like Behringer FBQ800 which is simple graphic EQ might work better. Of course, the best option would be still MiniDSP 2x4 HD with Dirac Live. Or if you are the DIY guy, then get a RPi with Volumio or Roopie OS, install Brutefir plugins and play with the custom filters on REW.

Another pricier option would be all-in-one solution like NAD658 streamer which has Dirac Live processing built-in. I don't know of any other streamer that does Dirac Live at this price point.

When I introduction eq in my second setup,the sound lost its natural timbre and I was not happy.
Instead I tried room treatment and the results are really very good.

The CXN V2 by itself is a good performer. An external EQ and DAC brings in additional signal hand offs over active devices and cables. I would avoid this.

This is interesting as I was also looking for some options for hardware EQ. However I don't believe the scenario you have outlined would work as inputs on CXN are mutually exclusive. I am also not sure when Digital out on CXN is enabled, analog out can be enabled and vice versa.

Behringer DEQ 2496 can be used for EQ and Room EQ. It also has an auto EQ mode where it captures the Mic input, generates a pink noise and automatically generates a flat frequency response. But this product primarily meant for studio or live recording applications and I believe it would be an overkill for your use case. Maybe something like Behringer FBQ800 which is simple graphic EQ might work better. Of course, the best option would be still MiniDSP 2x4 HD with Dirac Live. Or if you are the DIY guy, then get a RPi with Volumio or Roopie OS, install Brutefir plugins and play with the custom filters on REW.

Another pricier option would be all-in-one solution like NAD658 streamer which has Dirac Live processing built-in. I don't know of any other streamer that does Dirac Live at this price point.
With digital out enabled on CXN, its DAC is bypassed. Digital out would go into hardware EQ or external DAC which in turn provides analog output to be fed on to amplifiers. With external DAC along with hardware EQ, there shldn't be any issue.
With much i have read, parametric EQ in hardware, applied exclusively in digital domain will reduce the signal handoff to minimum. Hence thought of trying EQ hardware between digital out to digital in path of CXN. i will contact Cambridge support for it.
DEQ2496 seemed reasonably priced, available and got decent review for digital processing part. Cheapest minidsp option with digital out would be DDRC 22D which is relatively pricier and not readily available. Analog tone controls like Schiit Loki are not of interest here, though happy to see Loki return in the premiere episode today :)
Lets see how the experiment goes and whether sound improves or degrades over stock hardware.

Cambridge reply is same as per our understanding. We can use only 1 of inputs - Any streaming app or digital or usb input. So if u take digital out from CXN, u cannot use the CXN DAC as proposed. Routing digital out from equaliser to external DAC can be done in this case.
For fair comparison of impact on sound due to equaliser, i need to use a external DAC which sounds better than CXN internal DAC - i m thinking it mayb Denafrips Ares 2 or Schiit Mimby/ Bimby at least.
Will followup when i get hands on a good DAC and EQ.

Hi
To be honest you might not. Besides if you want digital EQ, it is better done in the software level on a pc, or on hardware based systems offered by the likes of minidsp. To do something similar to the CXN v2, it will need to have a tape in / tape socket at the back, and even in this case there will be a AD / DA conversion, that a lot of normal folks scoff at. Though not me , atleaat for me :D

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back