CXN V2 is not powering on

sjith

Hello fellow cxn v2 users

Yesterday, plugged cxn v2 to wall socket and heared a noice from the device and no lights in the power up/standby button

Checked fuse in power chord and it's ok

Checked fuse in power supply board and found its blown

Device is out of warranty

Please share your inputs and looking for a service manual of the same

Hello fellow cxn v2 users

Yesterday, plugged cxn v2 to wall socket and heared a noice from the device and no lights in the power up/standby button

Checked fuse in power chord and it's ok

Checked fuse in power supply board and found its blown

Device is out of warranty

Please share your inputs and looking for a service manual of the same
Remove the fuse and you will see the fuse rating in amps. Get a fuse of the same rating and replace the fuse. There are two cases where fuse blow up

1. Sudden high voltage. This is the most common reason. I have had fuse blown on many occasions. You can't really trust the voltage that you get in India. I have had few devices merrily working even now after replacing the fuse. Most recent was my allo shanti LPS fuse that blew during the covid times. It is now still working after I replaced the fuse.
2. Your device is powered by SMPS. All SMPS has a short circuit protection if the output goes out of range. This could be a fault with the SMPS board. This also happens but not as common as 1.
3. Some short circuit on the board causing more current to be drawn. This is very unlikely as cxn v2 is not some high powered amplifier which draws lot of current.

If you want to be on the safe side (in case some serious short circuit has happened), put a 40 watts Incandescent bulb in series to feed the 240v supply to cxn v2 (after puting the new fuse). If there is a short circuit the bulb will glow.

Remove the fuse and you will see the fuse rating in amps. Get a fuse of the same rating and replace the fuse. There are two cases where fuse blow up

1. Sudden high voltage. This is the most common reason. I have had fuse blown on many occasions. You can't really trust the voltage that you get in India. I have had few devices merrily working even now after replacing the fuse. Most recent was my allo shanti LPS fuse that blew during the covid times. It is now still working after I replaced the fuse.
2. Your device is powered by SMPS. All SMPS has a short circuit protection if the output goes out of range. This could be a fault with the SMPS board. This also happens but not as common as 1.
3. Some short circuit on the board causing more current to be drawn. This is very unlikely as cxn v2 is not some high powered amplifier which draws lot of current.

If you want to be on the safe side (in case some serious short circuit has happened), put a 40 watts Incandescent bulb in series to feed the 240v supply to cxn v2 (after puting the new fuse). If there is a short circuit the bulb will glow.

Approached Dealer and they diverted to Service Centre in Mumbai. Service Centre Reply about the case is like below

"I have taken this up with my technician - and he has advised not to change the fuse. As directly changing the fuse is not advisable.

You will have to send the unit to our service center.

Also as per my record this unit is not under warranty."

Approached Dealer and they diverted to Service Centre in Mumbai. Service Centre Reply about the case is like below

"I have taken this up with my technician - and he has advised not to change the fuse. As directly changing the fuse is not advisable.

Ive changed fuses on tons of equipment. No rocket science involved. Fuse is there to blow and be replaced. Just as @mbhangui has suggested, check the fuse rating on the blown fuse, and buy one from your local hardware store or buy from amazon and try. If the new fuse also blows, then send it to mumbai service center, as there might be something wrong in the circuit further down. All the best :)

Ive changed fuses on tons of equipment. No rocket science involved. Fuse is there to blow and be replaced. Just as @mbhangui has suggested, check the fuse rating on the blown fuse, and buy one from your local hardware store or buy from amazon and try. If the new fuse also blows, then send it to mumbai service center, as there might be something wrong in the circuit further down. All the best :)
Thanks manohar,

Fuse is written as T1AL 250V as shown in picture

1A Glass fuse will do the job I hope

Is it important T and L ratings of fuse, its not easy to get the exact T1AL fuse

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230717_194219_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230717_194219_Gallery.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 12
Thanks manohar,

Fuse is written as T1AL 250V as shown in picture

1A Glass fuse will do the job I hope

Is it important T and L ratings of fuse, its not easy to get the exact T1AL fuse
Hi Sjith

I really dont know what the T and L mean. There are variations in fuses like long blow etc. So hoping someone else comes across to decipher this. Adding @mbhangui as he is knowledgable at these things, unlike me. However, I would hazard a guess that any 1A / 250V 0r 240V fuse will suffice to start with. And no you dont need to have a UPS supply, unless you have frequent power cuts. And it is better to switch off your gear whenever the power cuts off. And only switch on once the power has been restored. Of course the above wont apply if you have a UPS. All the best.

The fuse is totally blackened. I suggest put a 40w filament bulb in series. It is not difficult. You can call me if you require clarification. This is a slow acting 1 A fuse. Slow acting means it will allow current above the 1A rating when you switch on but not after. L means that the fuse will blow off with current just a little bit over 1A. Pull out the fuse and there are two metal caps on each end of the glass cylinder. Take a magnifying glass and you will see the Ampere rating engraved on one of the metal caps. It should be 1A.

1689614845269.png

Last edited:

My opinion - attempt to sort this out only if you have knowledge of electronics, electrical wiring, etc.

In simple terms, a fuse is a safety device in any electrical circuit, designed to create an open circuit when danger strikes, thereby protecting your equipment from further damage. Fuses can blow under normal circumstances as well, for which a simple fuse replacement will work. However, if the fuse has blown as a result of component failure (for example a short circuit), just replacing the fuse will not work.

It is not easy to externally ascertain the reasons why a fuse failed unless one observes the operating conditions carefully - things like, was there a sudden spike in the domestic electricity supply when the equipment was playing, was the equipment getting extraordinarily warm just before the fuse blew, in case of amplifiers - was the amplifier being over driven with tough speaker loads, etc. We usually don't keep an eye open for these external circumstances of influence, while listening to music. A technician who is consulted with, or receives your equipment for repairs, generally will not have access to such information as well.

An experienced technician will always run checks to ascertain the root cause before replacing a fuse. There could be total failure or intermittent failure. If there are intermittent issues, the equipment may work temporarily with a change of fuse, only to fail again at a later point. So I would always suggest to have a qualified and knowledgeable mech take a look. It could be that there is a short circuit somewhere or a capacitor failure somewhere causing high current drain, etc etc.

NEVER: old school quack mechanics have the uncanny knack of stripping a piece of hook-up wire and soldering it cross the 2 ends of the holder of a blown fuse. This should never be done under any circumstances in any type of equipment.

My opinion - attempt to sort this out only if you have knowledge of electronics, electrical wiring, etc.
Thanks Reuben...

Could not find a service manual of exact model cxn v2. gone through an older cxn version's manual, there are two power supply
cable connectors from smps to main board saying 5v, 19v, 3.1v etc. As a next step,
Going to disconnect these two cables from main board and switch on with replaced fuse

Let's c is there any issue with smps board

One point is

I switched on the cxn device and a vintage amp together (power button pf amp was on during switching and it was connected with cxn v2 rca out)

High current drawn from rca by amp during switching on, any possibility ?

All exercise need to be done by first week of Aug only

Burned fuse replaced and switched on with series incandescent lamp

Smps supply output to mother board is in disconnected condition

But high flashing sound from the smps during switching on

Took it to local technician and he told smps switching ic faulty, need to be sourced from outside since its not locally available

FM's

Any experience with Audio-One Mumbai
They are the authorised service team of Cambridge Audio

Burned fuse replaced and switched on with series incandescent lamp

Smps supply output to mother board is in disconnected condition

But high flashing sound from the smps during switching on

Took it to local technician and he told smps switching ic faulty, need to be sourced from outside since its not locally available
Do you know which IC is this? Is it some TOPxxx ic?

FM's

Any experience with Audio-One Mumbai
They are the authorised service team of Cambridge Audio
Most likely they will not change just the faulty IC. Too much work for them.
They will replace the full power supply board.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back