Help required to repair Yamaha AVR RX-V667

how did you test your caps on the power board?
because my situation is similar to the problem stated here : https://sterlingit.com.au/yamaha-am...g-on-rx-v3800-rx0v1900-and-many-other-models/
There are two caps on your video2 board. I purchased a cheap LC tester and had removed the two caps to test them. Those are film caps and very unlikely to fail in models like yours. Earlier Yamaha avrs used to have a single cap with IIRC 400v rating. Now there are 2 caps with the same rating in series and hence the rating becomes 800v. In your case you are not using those caps because you have another module taking mains supply directly bypassing the in-built SMPS.

See this post

There are two caps on your video2 board. I purchased a cheap LC tester and had removed the two caps to test them. Those are film caps and very unlikely to fail in models like yours. Earlier Yamaha avrs used to have a single cap with IIRC 400v rating. Now there are 2 caps with the same rating in series and hence the rating becomes 800v. In your case you are not using those caps because you have another module taking mains supply directly bypassing the in-built SMPS.

See this post
the reason i ask you of the caps is because the wires going to the board from the separate smps is connected to a capacitor that i have marked in the picture.

I just want to make sure that video2 board is providing what it has supposed to provide.

my concern is to check the following:
1- if proper voltage is outputting from video2 board
2- if relay is working and not faulty
3- if the caps are good.

the red caps marked C3717 were touching the seperate smps whole time. and i asked because i thought it might have some connections but as you said that the separate smps bypasses it.

Attachments

• IMG-20220907-WA0005.jpeg
    IMG-20220907-WA0005.jpeg
    292.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20220907-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20220907-WA0004.jpeg
    261 KB · Views: 6
the reason i ask you of the caps is because the wires going to the board from the separate smps is connected to a capacitor that i have marked in the picture.

I just want to make sure that video2 board is providing what it has supposed to provide.

my concern is to check the following:
1- if proper voltage is outputting from video2 board
2- if relay is working and not faulty
3- if the caps are good.

the red caps marked C3717 were touching the seperate smps whole time. and i asked because i thought it might have some connections but as you said that the separate smps bypasses it.
The two caps supply the ac voltage for the AC detect circuit on video 2 board, through a opto coupler

But one more thing. Even if those two caps go bad, as long as the AC voltage supplied to the SMPS board is above 110v, it is not an issue. Most SMPS is supposed to work from 110v to 265 volts

Last edited:
from the photo you provided, the extra smps board is clearly getting supply directly and not from the red caps. ALso the output of that SMPS is directly going to the board below on which the video2 board gets inserted.

Also the one jumper wire has been removed (you have put a red arrow pointing to it). Removal of that jumper cuts off the high voltage supply to the original board.

Last edited:
I had seen this earlier. It is out of stock. On element14, it says that this will be in stock around June 2022. There is an SMD version TOP254GN which is rated 20 watts. TOP254PN is rated 25 watts. Worst case, I will order the SMD version and solder it on a 8 pin IC socket.

These last few days have been fun. I have learned to open the entire amp and fit it back. I can sure help someone with Yamaha AVRs to troubleshoot :)
Can you please help me I purchased used Yamaha Rx V 677 five months ago now it started going off instantly then wont start again. Can help me to fix it.

Can you please help me I purchased used Yamaha Rx V 677 five months ago now it started going off instantly then wont start again. Can help me to fix it.
Does it show any error on the display? Do you have the service manual?

You can go into diagnostic mode. While holding down "info" and "tone control" buttons, press "main zone" power button briefly and release, but keep "info" and "tone control" buttons pressed for at least 3 more seconds. The service manual shows how to enter into diagnostic mode

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back