Using Indian Lights Chandelier in USA

sacboy

I am planning to bring Led and bulbs chandelier from India to my home in USA. If i use voltage coverter will it work fine or anything else needs to be taken care of ?

India Uses 240 Volts AC. Indian Light Bulbs are predominantly Bayonet Mount & 240 Volts

USA uses 110 Volts AC. USA Bulbs are Screw mount & 110 Volts.

If you use Indian Incandescent bulbs in the USA without a Step Up ( 110 V to 220 Volts) transformer, they will work Perfectly but the power will be only 25% of the power consumed in India. The Chandelier will not be bright.

Further, each time an Indian bulb fails, you will have to import a replacement from India. This is applicable even if you install a 110 Volt to 240 Volt step up transformer.

The Ideal solution will be to Simply ensure that the Chandelier is fitted throughout with American Type Screw Bulb holders. Then in the USA simply buy local 110 Volt Bulbs and use, normally.

Caution: In India, the Screw type bulb holders are available in 2 diameters. Usually the Thinned Diameter are used in Chandeliers. Make SURE that you fit the Chandelier with the USA sized ( I THINK Bigger) bulb holders.

Check out on the Internet for the correct screw size used in the USA.

Thanks for reply. I am confused now, should i bring chandelier or not ?. Shouldnt i be able to find the replacement bulbs on ebay or may be even here in USA. I am saving around 600-700 $ if i bring chandelier from India. How difficult is it to replace bulb holders ? Also now chandeliers have LEDs and halogens also in them, what about them ?

You can not change the bulb holders easily. So buy a transformer in India that converts 110 v us power to 220 volts needed for the chandelier. AND PREPARE TO BUY ALL REPLACEMENT BULBS IN INDIA. May be bring a set of bulbs when you first bring the chandelier to usa.

usually, the supply in US homes will be 3phase. the voltage between two phases in 110V supply will be 220V. so no trafo will be required. only that you got to make an additional wiring. replacing bulbs is a contigency. may deal with it later.

Thanks for reply. I am confused now, should i bring chandelier or not ?.

As another FM has mentioned, do change the holders here into screw type holders (easily done) and ditch the bulbs or don't buy the bulbs from here.

Just take the chandelier with the screw type holders with you and buy bulbs once you reach there. The idea of fitting transformers or scouting around for replacement bulbs on eBay is not a great one.

Shankar

Sac boy

Where are you getting the chandelier from..??

Is it vintage antique
Or modern contemporary

Mumbai has a couple dudes who do great chandeliers
Vintage antiques
Victorian

They are equipped to rewire and change bulb holders

My cousin runs an outfit exporting vintage stuff from shipbreakers

I think hi sister in law has a shop in New York as well
Which showcases this stuff

I second Shankar idea. Changing wiring from two phase to 3 phase is very expensive and may not even be legal for chandelier.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back