Using Marantz receiver preouts

somnath27

I am planning to buy either SR5009 or SR6009. I own a Carver 5-channel amplifier which I would like to use to drive my speakers instead of the receiver. The receivers concerned have pre-outs that I can use to connect my amp. But my question is whether the amplier section of the receiver will be switched off if I tap pre-outs (I want it that way so that the receiver remains cool and works simply as a preamp & processor, plus the EMI interference should be less). Is there any setting by which the amp section can be disabled?

My second question is about the real feature difference between SR5009 and SR6009. Other than the amp power output (which anyway don't matter to me as I will be using a separate amp) is there any differentiated feature in SR6009 that I will sorely miss in SR5009? Marantz site is poor in giving a clear comparison!

Can any existing owner of SR6009 confirm if there is a phono input that I can use for connecting turn table later?

I am planning to buy either SR5009 or SR6009. I own a Carver 5-channel amplifier which I would like to use to drive my speakers instead of the receiver. The receivers concerned have pre-outs that I can use to connect my amp. But my question is whether the amplier section of the receiver will be switched off if I tap pre-outs (I want it that way so that the receiver remains cool and works simply as a preamp & processor, plus the EMI interference should be less). Is there any setting by which the amp section can be disabled?

My second question is about the real feature difference between SR5009 and SR6009. Other than the amp power output (which anyway don't matter to me as I will be using a separate amp) is there any differentiated feature in SR6009 that I will sorely miss in SR5009? Marantz site is poor in giving a clear comparison!

Can any existing owner of SR6009 confirm if there is a phono input that I can use for connecting turn table later?

Why don't you get a dedicated preamp receiver instead? It will save some money as well as the not needed section of amp could be avoided without the need to use the preout. Just my thoughts.

Thanks! I would love to do so. But the cost of Marantz pre-pro, e.g. AV7702 is double of a mid range receiver like 6009. Suggestions and price most welcome.

Preamp and processor, e.g. Marantz AV 7702 costs twice that of SR6009. What choice do i have? Suggestions welcome.

If you are looking at HT preamp then have a look at Emotiva brand (many forum members are using it and swear to be a VFM option) and if stereo then there are many and if you are keen in DIY then look at the DCB1 + SSP thread in the DIY section you will not be disappointed.

I have a scaled down version of what you are trying to do. I wanted to use an AVR as a stereo preamp - which would feed into my stereo (higher quality) power amp.

Since my requirement was only stereo, I ended up using the Marantz slimline NR1403 as an AVR preamp. It only has 2.1 preouts though. So I understand your predicament. But to be honest, I am not actually sure if the power amp section of my Marantz is actually turned off or if it is still working.

What is really interesting and surprising is that there are hardly any AVR preamps in the entry level or entry/mid category. Only options are if ones goes into significantly more expensive midrange or high end category. And all these pre/pros look massive! They are often as big or even bigger than full blown AVRs! Not sure why they need so much space if all they are doing is preamplification, HDMI switching, upscaling, EQ, and DAC decoding.

The only one I could find was Outlaw Model 975. It is a minimalistic pre/pro and doesn't have any EQ support at all, which is a huge bummer, but is supposed to be quite high quality in terms of audio. Emotiva used to have a model like this (UMC-200) but with EQ, but have discontinued it and now only have the XMC-1 which is quite expensive ($2500)

I have a 5007 and with the L+R preouts connected to a power amp.

I don't think the power amp section of the AVR is turned off. Instead, I have felt that the remaining 3 channels (C+SL+SR) sound more powerful.

Yes the amp section in marantz sr 5008 in which I have observed is off .Cause it runs very hot when it is working as pre pro but it is cool as preamp

Hi.... am looking for power amp for my setup on SR6007 for stereo ....Can you suggest which amplifier will be good... your power amplifier spec ...price and performance....

I have a 5007 and with the L+R preouts connected to a power amp.

I don't think the power amp section of the AVR is turned off. Instead, I have felt that the remaining 3 channels (C+SL+SR) sound more powerful.

Hi

There are many power amps available for stereo or avr purpose...all depends on your budget and what kind of output you want.....the SR6007 is quite good enough unless you have some massive power hungry speakers to drive....

Remember the Audyssey setup most of the times fails in calculations and hence conservative speaker levels are set....this you can adjust manually....secondly the 9 Band EQ can be adjusted for each speaker....if your system is configured for 5.1 then you can use the remaining channels as A+B or Bi Amp....

All the best..

Hi.... am looking for power amp for my setup on SR6007 for stereo ....Can you suggest which amplifier will be good... your power amplifier spec ...price and performance....

Pradhan,

If you are looking at VFM power amps, Emotiva and Outlaw Audio are 2 brands that come to mind.
I have not heard Emotiva, but have read positive reviews about their line.

I do own a pair of Outlaw M2200 monoblocks that service preouts from IA and AVR (L/R).
Both pre amps/pre processors are Marantz and the pairing is very good.
Relevant specs are:
200W into 8 ohms, 300W into 4 ohms, SNR 100dB, Gain 27dB (1.7 V for full output), Inputs - single ended and balanced
Price in US about $700 for a pair.
The amps are very low profile and run very cool. In my set up the L/R channels will never run out of juice.
As for SQ, they are just fine my my ears. I don't nitpick on amp signature; I simply control music signature at source (PC).

If you are looking at well established brands in this game, prepare to spend a lot of moolah :)

Cheers,
Raghu

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back