Using Paypal in India

Yes, like RMCWS said, you need to add your bank account in your paypal account, just like you tie up a bank account to your trading account.

I did buy from ebay.com, a pair of MS tweeters worth 60$, two weeks back. I did not have to pay any customs or import duties, may be the price was less than some limit.

It will take a day or tow for this whole process to complete, paypal will make two deposits to your account (in paisas) and you will have to validate this in the paypal account after its deposited.

You can pay using debit card. You will be charged some 60 Rs for adding your card to the paypal account.

Hi guys. I recently opened up my Paypal account. Wanted to clarify a few things. I just received a refund of 26$ from a Japanese guy in my Paypal account. However the effective credit i received was 24.56$! 5.5% of 26$ was charged as fees. I thought it was 3.9% + 0.3$ for international transactions :annoyed:

Secondly, say i want to use my Paypal credit to pay someone in the US, will i be charged again?

Regards,
Saket.

Last edited:
Hi guys. I recently opened up my Paypal account. Wanted to clarify a few things. I just received a refund of 26$ from a Japanese guy in my Paypal account. However the effective credit i received was 24.56$! 5.5% of 26$ was charged as fees. I thought it was 3.9% + 0.3$ for international transactions :annoyed:

Secondly, say i want to use my Paypal credit to pay someone in the US, will i be charged again?

Regards,
Saket.

Normally a refund is nothing but cancellation of your earlier transaction. So a refund means you are getting the funds back to your a/c on the same transaction id. But you said that you opened the a/c recently. Then how was your initial payment to the seller happened. If it was from a different a/c then obviously this refund is being treated as you are getting a fresh credit and hence the deduction of the amount/charges.

Regards,
Saket.

As an Indian user, I don't think you will be allowed to hold the money for more than a day in your paypal account. Please check and confirm here, if possible.

As an Indian user, I don't think you will be allowed to hold the money for more than a day in your paypal account. Please check and confirm here, if possible.

Yes absolutely correct, as per the RBI rules the PayPal cannot hold the funds more than 24 hours in the PayPal a/c. It will be automatically credited to the linked bank a/c.

Normally a refund is nothing but cancellation of your earlier transaction. So a refund means you are getting the funds back to your a/c on the same transaction id. But you said that you opened the a/c recently. Then how was your initial payment to the seller happened. If it was from a different a/c then obviously this refund is being treated as you are getting a fresh credit and hence the deduction of the amount/charges.

Yes I'd made the payment earlier using my friends' credit card. After that I made a Paypal a/c and sent the seller my Paypal ID so that he could send me the refund.

You're right. I saw that notification while attempting to withdraw the credit into my bank account (i received the refund a few hours ago). However i also noticed this :

While withdrawing, there was a currency converter tab. When i clicked on it, it showed : PayPal exchange rate : 1 USD = 60.7132 INR. Whereas the actual conversion rate today is 1 USD ~ 63 INR. So this means even while withdrawing I have to pay Paypal fees?! While making payment Paypal charges 5% fees (the conversion rate while making payment would be like 1 USD~65 INR), while receiving payment Paypal charges 5.5% fees (I got 24.56$ when the seller sent me 26$)! :annoyed:Do only Indian users have to pay so many different types of fees..or is it universal?

Last edited:
Unfortunately paypal always gives you a lower exchange rate. (at least by 2/3 Rs per dollar than the rbi exchange rate).

And funnily, when you intend to pay to someone by dollar by using your Indian credit card, then the exchange rate becomes higher by Rs2/3 per dollar.

This is their usual practice for a long time. Unfortunately, there is hardly any good alternative of paypal in India.

Unfortunately paypal always gives you a lower exchange rate. (at least by 2/3 Rs per dollar than the rbi exchange rate).

And funnily, when you intend to pay to someone by dollar by using your Indian credit card, then the exchange rate becomes higher by Rs2/3 per dollar.

This is their usual practice for a long time. Unfortunately, there is hardly any good alternative of paypal in India.

I think this is how banks usually work and PayPal is no exception. They include their margin when deciding the rates and you cannot compare the prevailing rates either on Thomas Cook or other travel sites or google for comparison. Every bank decides their buying/selling of foreign currency rates based on their internal dept. margins/fees/charges. Also using PayPal is the most secured way of making online payments especially in foreign currency as your CC details are not exposed and you use the login/password of PayPal. This way you are protecting your CC details which you have to put in the online site directly which might get manipulated.
Also PayPal, similar to our our ebay paisa pay has terms for the buyer/seller which protects both the parties for any issues which might arise in future. In fact PayPal holds your funds for 21 days if you are a new seller on PayPal to give a lead time for the buyer to be fully satisfied of the transaction.

PayPal is a total rip-off. Stopped using that for a long time now.
Lol, first of all PP is not a rip-off. Secondly you can't stop using PP, that simply means you have stopped doing intentional transactions.
Also about refund, if you call PayPal and ask for a refund then it takes 10 days, but if you do it via eBay refund policy then it takes 21 days afaik. Also their Indian CC is really nice, informative and helpful.

Last edited:
I have been using paypal since the early 2000s and the site has worked well for me. I have also maintained the very same credit card all these years. I think its the best way to make payments for purchases on the ebay international sites. I may have done some 30+ purchases till date and every single one was a smooth transaction. At times though, I have noticed that the exchange rates used by paypal are a tad higher than the actual exchange rates.

I've tried to import 2 pairs of Alpair 7.3 P drivers but it is held up in customs with no end in sight. I made the payment on 15th Jan and want to raise a paypal dispute to recover the money. I read somewhere that the paypal dispute can be raised within 45 days from the date of payment. But the paypal site says that the dispute can be raised within 180 days of the transaction. Quoting from the site:

You can report a transaction problem in the Resolution Centre within 180 days of this payment. Have a problem with this transaction? Click here to resolve

Could someone clarify what is the actual fact?

I've tried to import 2 pairs of Alpair 7.3 P drivers but it is held up in customs with no end in sight. I made the payment on 15th Jan and want to raise a paypal dispute to recover the money. I read somewhere that the paypal dispute can be raised within 45 days from the date of payment. But the paypal site says that the dispute can be raised within 180 days of the transaction. Quoting from the site:

Could someone clarify what is the actual fact?

Captain if you have ordered via the Singapore distributor of MA then please reach out to him over mail. He is a good guy and also cooperative and I think when badri's drivers were damaged during the transit he resent one more pair. I have got my MA drivers from him only and I received in around a month's time. Regarding PayPal I thought the dispute raising time was 60 days not sure when was it changed to 180 days.

Captain if you have ordered via the Singapore distributor of MA then please reach out to him over mail. He is a good guy and also cooperative and I think when badri's drivers were damaged during the transit he resent one more pair. I have got my MA drivers from him only and I received in around a month's time. Regarding PayPal I thought the dispute raising time was 60 days not sure when was it changed to 180 days.

I ordered them from Mark Audio who have redirected my query to one Mr. Thomas Lo of telenet. I was interacting with him. I sent money via payal to mark AT markimage DOT COME.

Earlier in this thread I found that FM Suri also got into trouble while importing drivers. Looks like Cochin Customs are (in)famous for holding up goods from abroad.

I ordered them from Mark Audio who have redirected my query to one Mr. Thomas Lo of telenet. I was interacting with him. I sent money via payal to mark AT markimage DOT COME.

Earlier in this thread I found that FM Suri also got into trouble while importing drivers. Looks like Cochin Customs are (in)famous for holding up goods from abroad.

I got my MA CHR70 drivers from a guy named "Kim Thye Neo" of Singapore where I think even badri also brought it from and he was prompt in response and also assisting in the transit.

its not just cochin sir

customs is tightening up everywhere

importing without IEC and valid documents now is a hit and miss
(mostly a miss )

also you cannot refer the import manual for duties without IEC
the new laws state the manual is for IEC holders only

ALso the law where you can import duty free below 500 USD is also scrapped

now you can be charged duty ( as the officer ascertains ) for values even above 2000 INR

im not saying you always will pay
BUt above 2000 INR
charging duty is normal

this is why sidvee
stated in one of his threads

please import at your OWN RISK
risk being the keyword

this is why sidvee
stated in one of his threads

please import at your OWN RISK
risk being the keyword

Hmm learnt it the hard way. Sending them the documents that they have asked for. Let's see how it goes. If it doesn't work, I'll need to go to Cochin I guess.

customs is tightening up everywhere

importing without IEC and valid documents now is a hit and miss
(mostly a miss )

also you cannot refer the import manual for duties without IEC
the new laws state the manual is for IEC holders only

ALso the law where you can import duty free below 500 USD is also scrapped

now you can be charged duty ( as the officer ascertains ) for values even above 2000 INR

im not saying you always will pay
BUt above 2000 INR
charging duty is normal

This seems to be the case. I ordered a quad of 6z4 sino rectifier tubes. Total cost with shop and ship shipping included $65 - Customs duty Rs.1200 after being held up for 5 days in delhi despite accurate invoice from The Tube Store and brand new tubes (and these tubes are not available in India). First time I have experienced this high customs rate and delay for a small value item.
Cheers,
Sid

Back