Using spare AVR as poweramp?

k_vijay12

I am planning to upgrade my AVR from Yamaha rx-v471 to Denon 3700( mostly) or 4700.

Before planning to invest in Poweramp, plan to use my yamaha avr in stereo mode and power anh 2 channels. Output would be about 85wpc at 8 ohm.

Anybody tried this way and what's your experience like ? I guess regular stereo amps giv much better sound. But still want to hear your views.

Also anyof you using D class power amps for fronts / LCR? Reviews/ feedback please

Last edited by a moderator:
I am planning to upgrade my AVR from Yamaha rx-v471 to Denon 3700( mostly) or 4700.

Before planning to invest in Poweramp, plan to use my yamaha avr in stereo mode and power anh 2 channels. Output would be about 85wpc at 8 ohm.

Anybody tried this way and what's your experience like ? I guess regular stereo amps giv much better sound. But still want to hear your views.

Also anyof you using D class power amps for fronts / LCR? Reviews/ feedback please
Yamaha RX471 is similar to entry-level receiver.
If you opt to use as additional amp thru pre out,my suggestion to use this as only for atmos/ Surround channel instead Front LR channel.
U will have to fix the volume in AVR to 80-90% and select pure direct/ similar option
( stereo mode with analog inputs ).
its quite uncomfortable to match audysee and you might feel something is not correct because there are 2 volume control and tone control plays a role.
Better get one stereo power amp / IA with "direct POWER AMP in" and make use of which bypass the volume and tone control.
However u can give it a try with old AVR if it is readily available with u post your observation.
There are lot of threads available on the same topic.
Atb

I have used Denon AVR 2113 as PA to Marantz NR-1608 and it works .You may check my post in Marantz owners thread for complete information. You may use old avr to power surround or atmos speakers but it is not advisable as there are more factors involved in matching of PA to AVR Like impedance matching , source voltage etc. Both the units very really perform as one after very careful experimentaction.

I use my AVR as pre and Nuprime monoblocks as power amps to drive front towers.

nuprimes have XLR/RCA switch that helps me go from stereo to HT in a jiffy and vice versa.

PS: my cousin upgraded from a very old Yamaha to Denon 2400h and he’s not liking it. He prefers fidelity from the Yamaha. Make your choice carefully.

I have used Denon AVR 2113 as PA to Marantz NR-1608 and it works .You may check my post in Marantz owners thread for complete information. You may use old avr to power surround or atmos speakers but it is not advisable as there are more factors involved in matching of PA to AVR Like impedance matching , source voltage etc. Both the units very really perform as one after very careful experimentaction.
If you connect any amp (power/integrated/another avr's analogue in/active speakers)to the pre out of an avr it would just work without any problems. But if both amps are not having similar signature (assuming both aren't neutral ) then the atmos speakers will have a different sound signature than the speakers connected to the avr. But if you are not having exactly the same speakers for all channels, then it's worth experimenting if it works. In my setup my marantz avrs front channels are powered by an arcam power amp and surrounds and Center by the avr itself

Atmos channels may contains 10 to 15 % information of entire surround sound track. So you need not to worry about sound signature. Just make sure that your avr is efficiently driving the PA. I have Marantz MM7025 and Speakercraft BB275 and both sound different with Marantz NR1608 avr in stereo mode. Marantz MM7025 is more musical, sweet and refined where as Speakercraft is powerful, effertless but little bright for longer listening...

Also any of you using D class power amps for fronts / LCR? Reviews/ feedback please
I have a RXV475 and was also looking for a similar implementation. However, it looks like we will have to physically mod the AVR and disconnect the pre-amp power amp sections and then solder some RCA inputs to the power amp to avoid making the signal pass through both pre-amps. It looks pretty complicated and the risk of destroying the circuit is quite high for which I finally abandoned the idea.

Also, when comparing my PM5005 (40Wpc) to my AVR(80Wpc in stereo mode), I feel that the amp gives a much fuller output and the volume is pretty loud even at 25%-30%.

No need to modify old AVR . Just connect Pre-out of new AVR to one on the line input of old AVR . Adjust or calibrate the input signal level on new AVR and output gain on old AVR Step by step. You may check my post on Marantz owners section where I have sucess connected Denon AVR 2113 as a power amplifier for Marantz NR1608 AVR. Its difficult if you don’t have Per-out on new AVR and still wish to use old AVR as PA.

Also any of you using D class power amps for fronts / LCR? Reviews/ feedback please

Why do you want to do this, rather sell the AVR and get a good power amp. The X3700H/4700h already provide more than 100 watts @ 2 ch @ 8ohms and adding a lower range AVR as PA might not really be beneficial to your experience

Why do you want to do this, rather sell the AVR and get a good power amp. The X3700H/4700h already provide more than 100 watts @ 2 ch @ 8ohms and adding a lower range AVR as PA might not really be beneficial to your experience
Not for LCR, may be surround or Atmos

I have a RXV475 and was also looking for a similar implementation. However, it looks like we will have to physically mod the AVR and disconnect the pre-amp power amp sections and then solder some RCA inputs to the power amp to avoid making the signal pass through both pre-amps. It looks pretty complicated and the risk of destroying the circuit is quite high for which I finally abandoned the idea.

Also, when comparing my PM5005 (40Wpc) to my AVR(80Wpc in stereo mode), I feel that the amp gives a much fuller output and the volume is pretty loud even at 25%-30%.
No need of such complex stuff, use ur old avr in stereo mode and use the new avr preouts to connect with component-in of this old avr. This should work.

Not for LCR, may be surround or Atmos
As @fLUX remarked, adding a lower powered receiver to a higher powered receiver (even for surround or Atmos) isn't going to get you many benefits. It might even degrade the sound.

Further, I am using 2 Crown XLS 2502s (Class D) power amp that puts out around 450 watts per channel to power the LCR of my Marantz 7010. I am only using this setup as I already have these amps with me and I want to reduce the load on my AVR so that it won't heat up as much. For all other purposes, the AVR is good enough on it's own in my room (26 by 10 / open dining and kitchen) for my listening levels.

Denon 3700/4700 give about 90wpc in 5 channel bench test and 70-75 WPC in 7 channel mode.

Assuming I use 7 channels from avr ... I can use yamaha avr in stereo mode which give 85wpc in stereo mode.. I can add this to Atmos...the quality of the yamaha avr may not be on par with denon, but I think it gives enough power to drive 2 Atmos I think. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong on this.

If taking the load of your AVR is the primary reason then theoretically yes it helps to some extent, but at anytime not all your 7 channels are engaged in your AVR and its the front 3 (LCR) which are mostly engaged, followed by surrounds and very rarely the atmos, so adding a power amp in the front stage benefits the AVR load immensely as against adding for atmos/surrounds . I would suggest get away with the VX471 and purchase a PA like Crown XLS for front LR or LCR (2 Crowns) if its purely to do away with the load.

Also the Polk TL1500/1600 are not power hungry speakers, I would suggest to first upgrade speakers then think of getting a PA.

Hello can you link the post about using denon as a external amp on marantz ,cant find it thanks

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back