Value UPS / Stabiliser for OLED TV - Please Help Out

kmkaks

Hi All

I got a 55 inch Sony A80K Oled a few days back and am worried about the effect of power cuts on the automatic pixel refresh function.

I am from suburban Kerala, where power outages are a common feature, since KSEB regularly performs transformer maintenance and cuts tree heads that grow towards power lines. We also have rare instances of fluctuations causing low voltage when power consumption load is high, like on Festival evenings etc and regular lightning storms. We always make it a point to unplug all electrical equipment during storms though.

Just wanted to add that we have a single phase connection, if it is relevant, since I am an absolute noob when it comes to electricity. I do not expect to use the TV during storms or power cuts. Just don't want burn in or damage, so yeah, to my questions:

1) Is it ok to go for a line interactive modified sine wave UPS(The PC ones)? Will it deteriorate TV over long run? If yes what other option do I have?

2) Should I get a stabilizer? Or will the AVR feature in the UPS give reasonable protection?
If stabilizer is required, which brand and model do you recommend? It must work well with the UPS.

3) Also do recommend a surge protector, if needed. I am using the TV with a belkin 3 pin extension box which claims to protect against surges but I have no knowledge of this subject.

4) I plan to fix a luminous 2 kv inverter next year but that will only be to power lights/ fans/ necessities. How should I incorporate this into my current UPS purchase decision?

I was planning to buy this 1600v line interactive, modified sine wave ups:
If there is any other option please suggest.

Going for higher VA one since it needs to power TV during entire course of running pixel refresher function I.e 20-30 minutes. Plus, might connect to game console in the future.

I wanted to be sure before investing since purse string is tight after installing Solar and buying TV. My budget for now is 10,000 rs
Cheers and Thanks a ton for helping out!

Last edited:
Hi,
there is a detailed thread regarding UPS already
If you are on budget get a line interactive UPS for now

Also u can combine both stabilizer and line interactive UPS to get function like Online UPS

If ur house is running on a single phase connection get a servo stabilizer for your entire home 2-3 kva will cost u around 10-15k
it makes u worry free everything ll be managed by stabilizer and iam also aware of kerala power condition since my relatives are there.

with the 2kv inverter u can run the 55inch oled tv itself without any issue during power cut but it depends upon the battery u r installing.

Hi,
there is a detailed thread regarding UPS already
If you are on budget get a line interactive UPS for now

Also u can combine both stabilizer and line interactive UPS to get function like Online UPS

If ur house is running on a single phase connection get a servo stabilizer for your entire home 2-3 kva will cost u around 10-15k
it makes u worry free everything ll be managed by stabilizer and iam also aware of kerala power condition since my relatives are there.

with the 2kv inverter u can run the 55inch oled tv itself without any issue during power cut but it depends upon the battery u r installing.
Thanks for replying bro. I saw a number of UPS threads for AV equipment and HT but all those recommendations looked overkill for my requirements, hence asked. Is there any brand of UPS and Stabilizer that you can recommend?

Thanks for replying bro. I saw a number of UPS threads for AV equipment and HT but all those recommendations looked overkill for my requirements, hence asked. Is there any brand of UPS and Stabilizer that you can recommend?
Line interactive ups?

2kVA is an overkill for just a TV. The battery size will determine only the backup time you get not the load capacity. You'll pay for the larger devices inside and transformer if any when compared to a 500VA UPS.

Hi All

I got a 55 inch Sony A80K Oled a few days back and am worried about the effect of power cuts on the automatic pixel refresh function.

I am from suburban Kerala, where power outages are a common feature, since KSEB regularly performs transformer maintenance and cuts tree heads that grow towards power lines. We also have rare instances of fluctuations causing low voltage when power consumption load is high, like on Festival evenings etc and regular lightning storms. We always make it a point to unplug all electrical equipment during storms though.

Just wanted to add that we have a single phase connection, if it is relevant, since I am an absolute noob when it comes to electricity. I do not expect to use the TV during storms or power cuts. Just don't want burn in or damage, so yeah, to my questions:

1) Is it ok to go for a line interactive modified sine wave UPS(The PC ones)? Will it deteriorate TV over long run? If yes what other option do I have?

2) Should I get a stabilizer? Or will the AVR feature in the UPS give reasonable protection?
If stabilizer is required, which brand and model do you recommend? It must work well with the UPS.

3) Also do recommend a surge protector, if needed. I am using the TV with a belkin 3 pin extension box which claims to protect against surges but I have no knowledge of this subject.

4) I plan to fix a luminous 2 kv inverter next year but that will only be to power lights/ fans/ necessities. How should I incorporate this into my current UPS purchase decision?

Going for higher VA one since it needs to power TV during entire course of running pixel refresher function I.e 20-30 minutes. Plus, might connect to game console in the future.

I wanted to be sure before investing since purse string is tight after installing Solar and buying TV. My budget for now is 10,000 rs
Hi, from my experience, I will say you most likely don't need a stabilizer. Anyway, most stabilizers don't work when it's needed most.

My AVR locked because my 3Amp V-Guard stabilizer did not cut off when the voltage went down to 110. Check any stabilizer review on amazon and you will find many complaints like this (always check for the bad reviews first, that tell the actual story of how the product worked when it needed most).

And I think nowadays most TV and refrigerator don't need a stabilizer. if you still want something for peace of mind, then go for a UPS.

Stabilizer + line interactive ups will do the job of online UPS and
Most online UPS will have fan(will be loud) which will always run and definitely wont suit for everyone
will completely ruin the movie watching experience
U have to change the battery within 20months for online UPS

@Nitin K if V-Guard stabilizer is inaccurate what are the alternative?

Should I go for APC 700VA Line Interactive UPS or APC Back-UPS BX600C-IN 600VA?

Krykard/Atandra got Tv stabilizer?

@Nitin K if V-Guard stabilizer is inaccurate what are the alternative?

Should I go for APC 700VA Line Interactive UPS or APC Back-UPS BX600C-IN 600VA?

Krykard/Atandra got Tv stabilizer?
You have Krykard and Vertex servo stabilizer's and both are capable enough to take care of the TV and your other electronic gears. Mine is 3Kva capacity.

Can I connect a 6Amp Wall Plug -------> line interactive APC UPS ----> Vguard Voltino Max Stabilizer ------> to my LG OLED TV ? Please enlighten. I dont want powercuts during a pixel refresh and fluctuations that can ruin my TV.

Can I connect a 6Amp Wall Plug -------> line interactive APC UPS ----> Vguard Voltino Max Stabilizer ------> to my LG OLED TV ? Please enlighten. I dont want powercuts during a pixel refresh and fluctuations that can ruin my TV.
If I am not mistaken the Vguard plug is 16 amps.
Other FM's can help you more on this who have connected a stabilizer to a ups.
Or best would be to mail Apc or Vguard.

If I am not mistaken the Vguard plug is 16 amps.
Other FM's can help you more on this who have connected a stabilizer to a ups.
Or best would be to mail Apc or Vguard.
No, mine is Vguard Voltino max with dual display which comes with 6amps plug only and also comes with EMI/RF filters and surge protection. I just wanted to know that anyone is using this combo setup. Just for an oled tv. Any insight will be helpful.

Just now I had a power outage and I tested this combo. I connected my APC UPS 1200LI to my Vguard Voltino max stabilizer. And input voltage is stable at 180 as shown in the stabilizer and stabilizer is boosting it to 219v.

Attachments

• 20230904_184123.jpg
    20230904_184123.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Just for you guys to be clear. I have take a picture by placing that stabilizer beside my UPS with just power from the battery. Placed an emergency lamp on top. when the power comes back again will do another test. If the voltage is still 180v then there is no point in using stabilizer.

Attachments

• 20230904_184646.jpg
    20230904_184646.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 9
1000040211.jpg
With Power Back on. It's same like plugging into the wall. Looks like online ups is a better option. Experts please suggest.

Last edited:
No, mine is Vguard Voltino max with dual display which comes with 6amps plug only and also comes with EMI/RF filters and surge protection. I just wanted to know that anyone is using this combo setup. Just for an oled tv. Any insight will be helpful.

Just now I had a power outage and I tested this combo. I connected my APC UPS 1200LI to my Vguard Voltino max stabilizer. And input voltage is stable at 180 as shown in the stabilizer and stabilizer is boosting it to 219v.
Oh ok, our TV is connected to just a Vguard digi 200 with a 16 amps plug.
In Mumbai power cuts are rare so I don't need a Ups.
I guess other FM's can chip in to help you for that particular arrangement.

Hi All

Hi - Could you please let me know what you ended up getting? I'm from Kerala too and I the same boat with regards to power fluctuations etc.

Back