Valve amplifiers

hello vortex,
I once started a thread http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/4889-tube-amplifier-makers-india.html

It can provide you what is more or less available from indian manufacturers. I think Rajiv from chennai has lyrita system. so you can audition that system from him. Your otehr optuion is Cadence valve amp you can also try and audition them.They are slightly more expensive though more than 1 L . Other options are to go for some foreign brands which I don't have much idea about. I guess it is just better to go and listen if you find it better than your existing system buy it otherwise schedule a next audition.
thnaks,
Mahiruha.

Thanks anm and Mahiruha - listening to Rajiv is on my list of things to do for sure.

By the way does Audire make any valve amplifiers? Venkat? Their website seems to be down for a few days.

Hi guys,

Vortex, as far as I understood, does not want to part with his Epos 12.2. Now the new valve system he is considering, whether this is an amp + speakers system or just an amp driving the existing Epos is not clear. He has also mentioned his budget of around 30K, I would assume that is only for the amp. Vortex, please clarify.

I am not really sure a solution exists for that budget unless Vortex wants to consider the MiniWatt that has just been reviewd in the forum, but I am not sure if that will drive his Epos speakers for sure. I have listened to these speakers quite extensively and they are quite willing speakers and in my opinion a good VFM.

Both SET amps from Lyrita are more expensive than 30K, please correct me if I am wrong, but that's what I remember, they are in the mid-forties. The 15wpc one may drive his speakers well, as Viren himself has suggested. I know that has driven Nirmalprim's multidriver Canton speakers of sub 90 db sensitivity (see my amp thread for more details, or PM him). This I already mentioned in my first post of this thread.

Siva's amps also would not fit in that budget. Cadence is out of the question, much more pricey. I think I have I have exhauseted all the domestic possibilities plus the MiniWatt.

Another option is the Cayin A-50T. In Kolkata, I have listened to it at SKS Traders a few times, and it's a decent amp, again around 50K.

In Pune, there is a dealer of Jolida. Many people in the US like Jolida very much. I remember SuhasG suggesting Jolida's tube CDP to me when I was about to buy a new CDP last year. PM Suhas if he knows about any decent Jolida amp, but again this will be above 50K.

Coming to hybrids, in Chennai I think you can try out Vincent.

Barring the MiniWatt, all the above would be above, if not substantially above, your 30K mark.

At the end, let me say a few things about the discussion going on in the above, as a few people have also expressed their opinions. For me, it was a question of principle. I (including most of you) want Vortex to have a free mind, without being intimidated and influenced unnecessarily. Cranky or me never said SS was better than tube, or a particular solution is the only solution possible (I myself own a tube amp and also a SS amp). The discussion was never on which of the tube or the SS solution is the better solution. I shall repeat, the discussion was one of principle, because many newcomers are also reading these posts, I am sure and it's never a decent and desirable situation when one solution is only preached and the other solutions are thrashed, especially when there are commercial interests involved (and Viren, I do not want to offend you here at all). At the end of the day, it still could be that Vortex would be happiest with Viren's 15 wpc SET or some other Lyrita combination. The discussion was certainly not that. I am not sure under the present circumstances, how is a discussion on Rethms or something like that is more relevant here. As I already written in my previous mail, we are discussing within a price point here.

Regards.

I agree with most of the points you put forward Asit. And yes the tentative budget put forth of 30K was for only the amplifier of course.

I would just like to know if there is quite a big jump I have to take to get my system to the next level. If so, then now may not be the time. I would only be interested if:

1) I can ascertain that I like and prefer the tube sound over my present NAD

2) I am reasonably confident of getting such a tube solution at around 30K or so.

Well, the fact is that this hobby of ours is not exactly cheap, is it? In an ideal world, one should have multiple amps and multiple speaker systems..

George

how much did you spend for the nad c372? I am curious and interesrted if it is that good. Also, is a strict 30k budget justified if you are looking to upgrade a component that costs more? Not saying that a 30k budget amp can not do better than 70k integrated - but if there is a better one available at 50k, and your nad was too 50k, it is still a win win situation for you. Unless 30k is a hard budget due to some other constraints, like resale value of nad :lol:

A small note before people pitch in. I have a NAD C372 powering EPOS M12.2 speakers powered by a HTPC with an ASUS Xonar D2X card. The objective is to take the system to the next level as far as music is concerned. And I am looking at valves to see if they fit the bill.

With nothing but the greatest respect for everyone posting on this thread, ...honestly, are these arguments of much use to the thread-starter? At the factual level there is almost unanimous agreement on the various characteristics of tube and SS amps in general, and of the fact that there are several iterations of each class of amps which transcend these limitations well enough for their class to be irrelevant. There also seems to be agreement that in the typical scenario, one class of amps is suitable for certain kinds of music, and the other class for certain other kinds (once again with the caveats of certain iterations transcending these limitations).

Wouldn't the 'causes' of these characteristics be less important other than for a manufacturer (like Viren) or a DIY-er (like Cranky). For a listener like thevortex, whose query this thread revolves around, wouldn't it be much more relevant if the discussion focused on a few good amplifiers (whether tube or SS or hybrid) models that serve his purpose, and how they serve his purpose, and what they cost and so on?

I am not saying this to run anyone down. It's a fascinating discussion to read, and I feel privileged to read such well-informed, engaging and articulate expositions of the nuances of amplifier technology, but I am just thinking the thread starter might not be getting what he was looking for :)

good suggestion-

somehow these discussions remind me of the family dining table where heated (but friendly) discussions take place and finally everyone is asked to shut up and come to a consensus.

a lot of useful information can be gained by all at the table including the discussion starter, and of course the humor and liveliness add to the charm of such things:)

what about the chinese options like Yaqin, Qinpu and Music Angel? I've seen some glowing reviews of some of the stuff. They would be as much or as little of a gamble as the miniwatt, and there are many more options including hybrids.

This is not a recommendation or anything, because i have no experience whatsoever with it, but just to get you guys curious, have a look at the Yaqin MC10L

Available for 350 USD on ebay with free shipping international - YAQIN MC-10L EL34 Class A Integrated Tube Amplifier GB - eBay (item 260463346398 end time Aug-23-09 23:00:00 PDT)

A review thread here:

Yaqin MC-10L mk II: It's here! - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Once again. I don't know anything personally about this, I just thought I'd muddy the waters a bit :p

There are many Chinese mfrs of valve amps, and I have bought stuff from three-Melody(KT-88), dihifisupply(2A3) and Sophia Electric(EL34), with no negatives. I'm sure there are many more. The have been making a large range of valves for many years and they are real ustaads at making stuff for Western companies.

what about the chinese options like Yaqin, Qinpu and Music Angel? I've seen some glowing reviews of some of the stuff. They would be as much or as little of a gamble as the miniwatt, and there are many more options including hybrids.

I am close to finishing the auditon and review of Vincent (chinese made with german design) amp and wanted to let you knwo that I am very impressed with it. So much that I have decided to setup it up as my PC based music system.

I have heard the Yaqin MC-100b and its an excellent amp unless you want to run inefficient speakers as the powersupply is not that powerful. If one can replace with a better one it would drive hard loads. I have briefly heard the Qinpu A1.0X and liked the sound though it was not a planned audition effort.

bottom line, Chinese made amps with a presence in N America and Europe are good options compared to the regulars

how much did you spend for the nad c372? I am curious and interesrted if it is that good. Also, is a strict 30k budget justified if you are looking to upgrade a component that costs more? Not saying that a 30k budget amp can not do better than 70k integrated - but if there is a better one available at 50k, and your nad was too 50k, it is still a win win situation for you. Unless 30k is a hard budget due to some other constraints, like resale value of nad :lol:

I got my NAD at a good price by importing from Dubai. No intentions of selling it at all. Not unless I am completely convinced that tubes are way better.

30 K may not be a hard number. But at this point when my knowledge and preferences are at the nascent stage the number sounded right - think of it as good enough to risk. Not that it is an insignificant amount by any means:)

hey george, could you tell us a bit more about these amps? where did you order them from? how much did they cost? how do they sound? what, if anything, would be the 'areas of concern' ?

There are many Chinese mfrs of valve amps, and I have bought stuff from three-Melody(KT-88), dihifisupply(2A3) and Sophia Electric(EL34), with no negatives. I'm sure there are many more. The have been making a large range of valves for many years and they are real ustaads at making stuff for Western companies.

Muddy the waters all you want, psychotropic! I can make use of options on the plate. Moreover that would prompt further discussion on the subject. Thanks for the links.

What do the tube experts think of an option such as this? A tube preamp which can be added to the output stage to give supposedly the best of both worlds.

I am a bit distrustful when people claim best of both worlds as often you end up anywhere but the two best worlds and end up spending more in choosing between one and the other (world, I mean).

Pacific Valve & Electric Company Pacific Valve Yaqin Tube Buffer

How much is the vincent quoted for Mars?

TIA
Regards

The model I have is the 225 MK (vs. the MK II) which is the latest. The differnece is a slightly beefier power supply and update in the pre-amp stage. I originally had both for about a week and did not see a need to go with the latest version.

Since both were priced at USD 1500, I bargained the MK for USD 900 (> 1/3 off) + no taxes. Happy with the price. I picked it up from a dealer as a close out sale.

Note its a hybrid and think its a relatively cheaper option to venture into the world of tubes.

hey vortex, your link is for a tube buffer. I've read about this and the reviews have been a bit mixed. Musical Fidelity used to have a tube buffer (the X10D or something like that) that they introduced in the late 90s(?) which Stereophile had originally raved about, but later John Atkinson's measurements revealed that the reason for it sounding so good was that it gave a 1dB gain,and a subsequent review was accordingly more circumspect.

Purely in theory I would imagine that replacing the pre section of your NAD C372 with a tube pre might be a better idea than putting a buffer in the chain because of the simpler signal path. The disadvantage of course is that the remote control of the volume would not be possible. But if, as per reputation NAD's pres are the weak point, this might be useful from that perspective as well.

That's a lot of mud from me i guess :)

Did we just about come tot he same item more or less through different links? Now, isnt that lovely?:) Lets see what the experts have to say about all this.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back