Valve Amps

dichkaun

Can someone give me basics of valve amps? (copy paste writeup or link is fine)
If I look at the specs, The power output in the specs is very low. Can they drive the 80-100w speakers (I have Sonydyne Sonus 2605)?
Finally, any place in Bangalore where I can hear one of these?

~dichkaun

Valve amps typically have low RMS ratings. But that doesn't mean they cant drive loudspeakers comfortably. Difficult to drive speakers apart and valve amps are good for the rest. For difficult to drive speakers you need to spend quite a lot if you want a valve amp.

Paste link to your speakers details and I may be able to suggest whether a valve amp would be good for it.

Hi, checkout Corrson.com, they sell valve amplifiers & kits at Bangalore.

Here are some details:

Acoustic Portrait PM1 - Valve Preamplifier
Freq Response : 20-20kHz, +/-0.3 dB

SNR : 79dB Full Bandwidth

THD : 0.0093

THD+N : 0.43 @ max o/p

Output Impedance : 130 ohms

Total Gain : 12dB
Rs.78,000

Acoustic Portrait NJ1 - Valve Preamplifier
TBD
Rs.28,000 (EST)

Acoustic Portrait NJ1 - Dual Mono Power Amplifier
TBD (Power : 75wx2 @ 8 ohms)
Rs.33,000 (EST)

Corrson Marantz 7 Clone - DIY Kit
NA
Rs.12,500

Can someone give me basics of valve amps? (copy paste writeup or link is fine)
If I look at the specs, The power output in the specs is very low. Can they drive the 80-100w speakers (I have Sonydyne Sonus 2605)?
Finally, any place in Bangalore where I can hear one of these?

~dichkaun

Valve amps typically have low RMS ratings. But that doesn't mean they cant drive loudspeakers comfortably. Difficult to drive speakers apart and valve amps are good for the rest. For difficult to drive speakers you need to spend quite a lot if you want a valve amp.

Paste link to your speakers details and I may be able to suggest whether a valve amp would be good for it.
Thanks Ranjeetrain.
Here's the link: Home Audio > Sonus Series

Hi, checkout Corrson.com, they sell valve amplifiers & kits at Bangalore.
Thanks Anil.
I will go over these. How difficult is it for a plain vanilla guy to pick up one of these DIYs and come up with something usable (good sound, loosk don't matter)

Dichkaun: Are you planning a valve amp for your primary setup to replace your solid-state or will this be an additional bedroom setup?

Dichkaun: Are you planning a valve amp for your primary setup to replace your solid-state or will this be an additional bedroom setup?
This will be an additional setup for a study room which is smaller than a regular living room.
This time I am throwing in a valve amp also into consideration (in addition to the usual SS amps)

This will be an additional setup for a study room which is smaller than a regular living room.
This time I am throwing in a valve amp also into consideration (in addition to the usual SS amps)

In that case it is an excellent idea! They really shine in small spaces and when paired with good standmount speakers. Something like Quads, Spendors, Totems, etc. Be careful though, it is addictive -- once you are hooked onto the "tube sound" you may never touch solid state again. ;)

Can you explain matching?

Some manufacturers intend their valve amps to be used in conjunction with their speakers. For example, the Lyrita Audio SET amp is ideally to be used with their single-driver design speaker. In such a combination the sound is truly remarkable. Generally a highly efficient standmount is the ideal companion.

Last edited:
Hi guys, Been looking at the Lyrita Audio website this morning. Which one of the three speakers would you put on a stand mount. All three kindova look floor standing to me.

In that case it is an excellent idea! They really shine in small spaces and when paired with good standmount speakers. Something like Quads, Spendors, Totems, etc. Be careful though, it is addictive -- once you are hooked onto the "tube sound" you may never touch solid state again. ;)

I agree with Particle man , listening in tube system will make you an addict and you MAY not like solid state.

Also a best combination is a power from solid state and pre from Tube.

regards

Hi guys, Been looking at the Lyrita Audio website this morning. Which one of the three speakers would you put on a stand mount. All three kindova look floor standing to me.
Lyrita currently makes only floorstanders primarily bec of the principle involved-transmissionline loading of the Fostex driver.
As regards prices, you could speak to Viren- 011-41401143.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back