Various Home theater audio setups - am I right?

Donivlapog

Hi all,

I have a few months before I drop the towel and say I have saved enough and so let's plunge into action and until then am saving money and info to help decide.

So here are the various options for a HT audio.

1) HTIB (30-50k range)
2) A simple 70-75 k expenditure of entry level AVR plus satellite speakers 5.0 plus subwoofer seperately or a 5.1 from say ELAC or Polk etc ...
3) A midrange AVR with sufficient bells and whistles for under 70k plus book shelf speakers and good sub-woofer for about a lakh and a quarter - total 2 lakhs.
4) or if we need to be flaunting more money for going for the best possible HT set up that's possible by a middle class person for a hobby - A costly AVR with everything under the sun - 8k, 7.1 or 5.1.2 or 9.1 or 11.1 chanels etc... plus floor standing speakers plus sub-woofer amounting to may be 3-4 lakhs.
5) Sound processors plus mono block power amps, acoustics treated AV room, very high end speakers, Atmos etc... For a good 10 lakhs plus. Infact I don't even know what these things are going to be as huge difference as I am a rookie to the sound technology/industry and haven't auditioned much yet.

So my question is 4th and 5th options are worth spending money on or 2 or 3 will do for 95/100 HT enthusiasts?

I don't know if this has been asked before? Room size? desired volume output in db?
what are your goals? Priority for Music or Movies? if you just want to go for the heck of it then go for option- 4.
It will be at least a decent Mid range system. Have you owned an Avr before? if so which one? If this is your first Avr then i would suggest option 3.

So my question is 4th and 5th options are worth spending money on or 2 or 3 will do for 95/100 HT enthusiasts?

That depends on whether you're in the 95 or 5 ;). More seriously, your decision will realistically be determined most by the room you plan to set this up in. HST, IMO and IME, these following factors matter quite a bit.

1. Dedicated room or not
2. Room size
3. The distance of your listening position from the front speakers
4. Your desired listening levels, with respect to theatrical playback levels
5. Speaker aesthetics
6. Room aesthetics
7. Type of video setup (TV or front projection)
8. Type of content watched (streaming/cable or lossless)
9. Last, but not the least, your own expectations (this mostly comes from personal experience and/ reading about/experiencing other setups).

I don't know if this has been asked before? Room size? desired volume output in db?
what are your goals? Priority for Music or Movies? if you just want to go for the heck of it then go for option- 4.
It will be at least a decent Mid range system. Have you owned an Avr before? if so which one? If this is your first Avr then i would suggest option 3.
My bedroom size is approx 12×11. My goal is to come out with a decent one time investment for audio - I have an LG CX 65" swivel wall mounted in the side wall. I will watch movies 70% of the time my children would console-game 15% of the time and 15% for music. I don't have an AVR yet.

That depends on whether you're in the 95 or 5 ;). More seriously, your decision will realistically be determined most by the room you plan to set this up in. HST, IMO and IME, these following factors matter quite a bit.

1. Dedicated room or not
2. Room size
3. The distance of your listening position from the front speakers
4. Your desired listening levels, with respect to theatrical playback levels
5. Speaker aesthetics
6. Room aesthetics
7. Type of video setup (TV or front projection)
8. Type of content watched (streaming/cable or lossless)
9. Last, but not the least, your own expectations (this mostly comes from personal experience and/ reading about/experiencing other setups).
Thanks for the response and trying to solicit some help.
1) my bedroom
2) 12×10
3) front speakers would be placed about 9 feet from listening position.
4) not sure. Maybe per channel 100 watts power output at peak.
5) book shelves or satellite may work in my case.
6) kindly rephrase for my understanding - it is a semi-cramped room with a huge master bed and although adequate space is there to walk around some wardrobes are placed on the plinth walls. Tower speakers can be a bit of a mess.
7)TV OLED LG CX 65
8) streaming and PS4
9) mine is option three from my OP if done immediately or option 4 if I get to save for 6 more months. Or will option 3 suffice in this case.

9) mine is option three from my OP if done immediately or option 4 if I get to save for 6 more months. Or will option 3 suffice in this case.

Based on your responses, I'd rule out (1), (4) and (5).

5.1.2 Atmos ought to be better than plain vanilla 5.0 or 5.1, although I'd recommend checking out 7.1.4 AVRs if the price difference isn't terrible and you can swing it. I wouldn't get separate amps for now. I'd also recommend getting the same speakers all around, if possible.

Go for 3, it's going to keep you happy for longer time. A 5.1.2 setup should be fine. Don't bother about acoustics. Instead use furniture, books, curtains, etc to dampen reflections.

Many valid options have been provided by our FMs here. Just to chime in 4 & 5 are not an absolute necessity - if you can do it go for it, but you can get pretty good performance from cheaper. I also won't say it will do for 95/100 - there are always compromises in life. I may want to go with a full Event Opal setup, but can't, so I go for what best (performance - not price) my budget gets me.

Start somewhere - nothing is better than something. Also in most cases it will be "unlikely" for you to get it all right in the first go, there will be a few changes that your system will demand as you get accustomed to the sound and performance. Some can be achieved by some simple settings change some require a more technical or wallet unfriendly solution. Every room is different so what sounds good in my room might sound terrible in yours. Even auditioning stuff sometimes doesn't help in this case (please always audition).

5.1.2 /5.2.2 is a great place to start - Get an AVR with pre-outs so you have the options to add more power if you want later without going for a complete gear change - PAs like Crowns are much cheaper than getting a new AVR. MOST such AVRs will also come with the option for more channels too. So you should be covered in case you want to add a bit more on the effects side. Denon AVR X3700H or something similar, maybe from the used market - should be a better deal.

Try looking for a pair of good FloorStanders, that gives you the flexibility to add the subs last. A center channel is a must - go for something nice there, and most basic set of speakers will do a "good enough" job for the surrounds and atmos - you can save out here.

Start somewhere -

5.1.2 /5.2.2 is a great place to start - Get an AVR with pre-outs so you have the options to add more power if you want later without going for a complete gear change - PAs like Crowns are much cheaper than getting a new AVR. MOST such AVRs will also come with the option for more channels too. So you should be covered in case you want to add a bit more on the effects side. Denon AVR X3700H or something similar, maybe from the used market - should be a better deal.

Try looking for a pair of good FloorStanders, that gives you the flexibility to add the subs last. A center channel is a must - go for something nice there, and most basic set of speakers will do a "good enough" job for the surrounds and atmos - you can save out here.
As I try to understand this great recommendation and direction - I first need to look for Denon 3700 or similar AVR plus pair of floor standers plus a good center. Now a days a lot of Wharfedale adverts keep coming up D330 model for 43k. Is that a good recommendation?

Hi all,

I have a few months before I drop the towel and say I have saved enough and so let's plunge into action and until then am saving money and info to help decide.

So here are the various options for a HT audio.

1) HTIB (30-50k range)
2) A simple 70-75 k expenditure of entry level AVR plus satellite speakers 5.0 plus subwoofer seperately or a 5.1 from say ELAC or Polk etc ...
3) A midrange AVR with sufficient bells and whistles for under 70k plus book shelf speakers and good sub-woofer for about a lakh and a quarter - total 2 lakhs.
4) or if we need to be flaunting more money for going for the best possible HT set up that's possible by a middle class person for a hobby - A costly AVR with everything under the sun - 8k, 7.1 or 5.1.2 or 9.1 or 11.1 chanels etc... plus floor standing speakers plus sub-woofer amounting to may be 3-4 lakhs.
5) Sound processors plus mono block power amps, acoustics treated AV room, very high end speakers, Atmos etc... For a good 10 lakhs plus. Infact I don't even know what these things are going to be as huge difference as I am a rookie to the sound technology/industry and haven't auditioned much yet.

If you think you will have saved enough money in a few months then go for option 4 or 5. Whether you think these options are worth spending that much you should be asking that to yourself and or your wife. For more money, you will be buying better/more products so it will be worth it. But not having that deep pockets will also make it worthless.
I don't understand why you are even asking FMs to choose between a 30K system and 10L system. IMHO Your question is not worth it. :) :p

If you think you will have saved enough money in a few months then go for option 4 or 5. Whether you think these options are worth spending that much you should be asking that to yourself and or your wife. For more money, you will be buying better/more products so it will be worth it. But not having that deep pockets will also make it worthless.
I don't understand why you are even asking FMs to choose between a 30K system and 10L system. IMHO Your question is not worth it. :) :p
No question can be stated as worth it or not worth it. The answer only can be stated as not worth it. I was asking what 95% of HT enthusiasts would do. My situation, my decision and I am just asking if those extra bucks are worth it or not.

As I try to understand this great recommendation and direction - I first need to look for Denon 3700 or similar AVR plus pair of floor standers plus a good center. Now a days a lot of Wharfedale adverts keep coming up D330 model for 43k. Is that a good recommendation?
Very difficult to quantify if they are good or not - can't comment on whether you would like. For example - I can say - I preferred the QA C20s the bookshelves over some more expensive Floorstanders - including my tannoys for movies. I went with the whole HT overhaul with a much larger budget (the only mistake I made was an AVR without Pre-outs as a standby now I feel stupid) and settled for much cheaper stuff as that worked for my ears better. That might not be the case for you. So though the Wharfedales are very well reviewed and generally considered good bang for the buck - whether it will float your boat depends on you.

Start somewhere - nothing is better than something
Also I meant - something is better than nothing :p. Just to clarify.

No question can be stated as worth it or not worth it. The answer only can be stated as not worth it. I was asking what 95% of HT enthusiasts would do. My situation, my decision and I am just asking if those extra bucks are worth it or not.
Almost all HT enthusiasts would decide based upon their planned budget and requirements. If you are really wanting to go for a system go with any amount of money you have now and start enjoying. As someone said previously something is better than nothing.

IMO this is what 95% of HT enthusiasts would do rather than ask for a recommendation of a system with a budget that is more than 33 times apart. (30K-10L)

Maruthi 800 in second hand or an Audi brand new may be a question out of place here. If I am not blind yet and I can read that this is HT related thread with so far useful inputs and replies, I would only judge if it is a good question or not. Rsjaurr, you may instead opt to not answer rather than criticise. Without asking questions, I am afraid I cannot get public opinion and improvisations from what blueprint I have in my mind. Should a mod intervene and delete this post, I would still care less. Just that these grapes are sour I would claim and would make me mark this bucket list for maybe a few more years and who knows at 42 even now I find this not worthy and in a few years this idea might fade away from my mind for good. Some of these repellent answers also do help actually. Atleast to save money.

Almost all HT enthusiasts would decide based upon their planned budget and requirements. If you are really wanting to go for a system go with any amount of money you have now and start enjoying. As someone said previously something is better than nothing.

IMO this is what 95% of HT enthusiasts would do rather than ask for a recommendation of a system with a budget that is more than 33 times apart. (30K-10L)
Another way to look at it is, even the two responses of yours even with a pinch of salt has been useful so far!

Another way to look at it is, even the two responses of yours even with a pinch of salt has been useful so far!
I gave you straight and honest answers but you got pissed off too easily and missed what I wanted to convey. It is all about money and passion which should decide your setup. I would be glad if someone can come up with a 3rd factor.

There is an excellent thread by FM @josephkarthic going on where he has more or less set his budget and FMs are pouring in with their suggestions. Budget can be variable also but ideally, OP has to give at least a ballpark amount to start with.

This is obvious that your options 1 & 2 are not really an upgrade over TV speakers and FMs can't advise you to wait for 5 years to raise funds for option 5. Whether you go for option 3 or 4 depends on the two factors I mentioned above.

One last thing, this is a public forum bro you can not pick and choose who answers here just like I can not decide whether you keep on posting threads on this forum. And no name-calling please.

I gave you straight and honest answers but you got pissed off too easily and missed what I wanted to convey. It is all about money and passion which should decide your setup. I would be glad if someone can come up with a 3rd factor.

There is an excellent thread by FM @josephkarthic going on where he has more or less set his budget and FMs are pouring in with their suggestions. Budget can be variable also but ideally, OP has to give at least a ballpark amount to start with.

This is obvious that your options 1 & 2 are not really an upgrade over TV speakers and FMs can't advise you to wait for 5 years to raise funds for option 5. Whether you go for option 3 or 4 depends on the two factors I mentioned above.

One last thing, this is a public forum bro you can not pick and choose who answers here just like I can not decide whether you keep on posting threads on this forum. And no name-calling please.
What name-calling? I called out your screen name and suggested if you don't like the question pls do not answer. I am not pissed - I just requested you to not discourage those who post questions.

Maruthi 800 in second hand or an Audi brand new may be a question out of place here. If I am not blind yet and I can read that this is HT related thread with so far useful inputs and replies, I would only judge if it is a good question or not. Rsjaurr, you may instead opt to not answer rather than criticise. Without asking questions, I am afraid I cannot get public opinion and improvisations from what blueprint I have in my mind. Should a mod intervene and delete this post, I would still care less. Just that these grapes are sour I would claim and would make me mark this bucket list for maybe a few more years and who knows at 42 even now I find this not worthy and in a few years this idea might fade away from my mind for good. Some of these repellent answers also do help actually. Atleast to save money.
That's understandable..
I have seen a lot of people unaware of what's the right price point..
So I think it's a valid point of looking for solution based on requirement than based on budget coz your budget is flexible.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back