Various Home theater audio setups - am I right?

My bedroom size is approx 12×11. My goal is to come out with a decent one time investment for audio - I have an LG CX 65" swivel wall mounted in the side wall. I will watch movies 70% of the time my children would console-game 15% of the time and 15% for music. I don't have an AVR yet.
Then Option 4 is a good start point if you ask me. It will not give you everything under the Sun as you presume but will give you a Mid Range Avr & some decent speakers & subwoofer.

Cheers.

Hi all,

I have a few months before I drop the towel and say I have saved enough and so let's plunge into action and until then am saving money and info to help decide.

So here are the various options for a HT audio.

1) HTIB (30-50k range)
2) A simple 70-75 k expenditure of entry level AVR plus satellite speakers 5.0 plus subwoofer seperately or a 5.1 from say ELAC or Polk etc ...
3) A midrange AVR with sufficient bells and whistles for under 70k plus book shelf speakers and good sub-woofer for about a lakh and a quarter - total 2 lakhs.
4) or if we need to be flaunting more money for going for the best possible HT set up that's possible by a middle class person for a hobby - A costly AVR with everything under the sun - 8k, 7.1 or 5.1.2 or 9.1 or 11.1 chanels etc... plus floor standing speakers plus sub-woofer amounting to may be 3-4 lakhs.
5) Sound processors plus mono block power amps, acoustics treated AV room, very high end speakers, Atmos etc... For a good 10 lakhs plus. Infact I don't even know what these things are going to be as huge difference as I am a rookie to the sound technology/industry and haven't auditioned much yet.

So my question is 4th and 5th options are worth spending money on or 2 or 3 will do for 95/100 HT enthusiasts?
I can only speak from my own journey. When I got my first HT system, it comprised a marantz SR6011 ( this is still my AVR today after 7 years :D ). And a Qacoustics q7000i 5.1 sat + sub package in a 14x11 foot room. And it absolutely kicked ass, both for music as well as movies. Though it is presently resting in my closet, being displaced by bigger speakers as I've moved to a bigger house. I still keep them, just incase I want to setup a system in my bedroom in the future.

So for a 12x11 foot room, a sat + sub 5.1 package will be more than adequate. Get the match with the AVR right, and it will sound splendid as my system did . All the best :)

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have a few months before I drop the towel and say I have saved enough and so let's plunge into action and until then am saving money and info to help decide.

So here are the various options for a HT audio.

1) HTIB (30-50k range)
2) A simple 70-75 k expenditure of entry level AVR plus satellite speakers 5.0 plus subwoofer seperately or a 5.1 from say ELAC or Polk etc ...
3) A midrange AVR with sufficient bells and whistles for under 70k plus book shelf speakers and good sub-woofer for about a lakh and a quarter - total 2 lakhs.
4) or if we need to be flaunting more money for going for the best possible HT set up that's possible by a middle class person for a hobby - A costly AVR with everything under the sun - 8k, 7.1 or 5.1.2 or 9.1 or 11.1 chanels etc... plus floor standing speakers plus sub-woofer amounting to may be 3-4 lakhs.
5) Sound processors plus mono block power amps, acoustics treated AV room, very high end speakers, Atmos etc... For a good 10 lakhs plus. Infact I don't even know what these things are going to be as huge difference as I am a rookie to the sound technology/industry and haven't auditioned much yet.

So my question is 4th and 5th options are worth spending money on or 2 or 3 will do for 95/100 HT enthusiasts?
Assuming this is your first HT set-up, I would go with option 2 (X1600H + TL1600). It will offer enough learning curves and help understand the various bells and whistles before investing in an expensive system.

For your room size following configurations I will recommend:

5.1.2 / 5.1.4 / 5.1

Because the room is not big, you won’t need much power to pressurise that room. You will need at least some sound panels to reduce sound reflections. This will reduce space a bit more. Just plan for this.

carefully choose bookshelves / Centre channel. Rear ported speakers will not be suitable for tight spaces as you cannot place them closer to walls.

If you select some decently sensitive speakers, you won’t need much amplification. It’s not easy to get a 5.1 channel AVR with full pre out. So having front outs will be good.

Get just one good sub initially for this room size.

If you have budget and want to have a bigger screen, you can always consider

Wish you a wonderful experience ahead. Enjoy.

I first need to look for Denon 3700 or similar AVR plus pair of floor standers plus a good center. Now a days a lot of Wharfedale adverts keep coming up D330 model for 43k. Is that a good recommendation?
The Denon 3700 is a 9.2 receiver. I think a 7.2 receiver like the Marantz 5015 should suite your requirements nicely. It has pre-outs too, so a power amp could be added later on if required.

The D330 is a floorstanding speaker. Since you already have a sub, a bookshelf speaker at the same price point from the same company will give you a better performance, sound quality wise.

The money saved on the receiver could then be used to get a better centre channel speaker to match the bookshelfs. For eg: the wharfedale Diamond 12 series bookshelfs and centre channel speakers. Surround speakers could be the same. You could add Atmos speakers later if you like.

The Denon 3700 is a 9.2 receiver. I think a 7.2 receiver like the Marantz 5015 should suite your requirements nicely. It has pre-outs too, so a power amp could be added later on if required.

The D330 is a floorstanding speaker. Since you already have a sub, a bookshelf speaker at the same price point from the same company will give you a better performance, sound quality wise.

The money saved on the receiver could then be used to get a better centre channel speaker to match the bookshelfs. For eg: the wharfedale Diamond 12 series bookshelfs and centre channel speakers. Surround speakers could be the same. You could add Atmos speakers later if you like.
I only have the sub-woofer of Sony HTRT3 which is multimedia/HTIB grade not for hifi. Can that be used here?

Sorry if I was not clear.

I was referring to the wharfedale D330 5.1 package and the changes to that package.

I was assuming that you are considering that package along with the sub that comes with it. I was suggesting that the Front LR be changed from Floorstanding speakers to bookshelf speakers as stated in my post above.

https://hifimart.com/product/wharfedale-d330-5-1-speaker-package-html/

Sorry if I was not clear.

I was referring to the wharfedale D330 5.1 package and the changes to that package.

I was assuming that you are considering that package along with the sub that comes with it. I was suggesting that the Front LR be changed from Floorstanding speakers to bookshelf speakers as stated in my post above.

https://hifimart.com/product/wharfedale-d330-5-1-speaker-package-html/
Oh okay since sub woofer is there in this package instead of floor standing I can opt for bookshelves. Got it.

You could also do the setup in stages. This will allow you time to save and buy better equipment.

I think I stared with my LR speakers first. Was playing that with Topping TP60 for quite a while. After that, I got the Marantz 7010. Then came the sub. A while passed before I got the centre and then changed the fronts to better speakers shifting the existing fronts to surround and finally the speakers for ATMOS.

Recently, purchased two Crown xlx 2502 as power amps for LCR.

Pleased as punch with the setup. It was worth the wait. I would have definitely regretted buying lesser quality equipment at one go.

Buying in stages also allows you to get used to the sound in your room and adjust your purchases to your preferences.

Last edited:
You could also do the setup in stages. This will allow you time to save and buy better equipment.

Buying in stages also allows you to get used to the sound in your room and adjust your purchases to your preferences.
+1
i agree

Last edited:
Almost all HT enthusiasts would decide based upon their planned budget and requirements. If you are really wanting to go for a system go with any amount of money you have now and start enjoying. As someone said previously something is better than nothing.

IMO this is what 95% of HT enthusiasts would do rather than ask for a recommendation of a system with a budget that is more than 33 times apart. (30K-10L)
As odd as it may sound, it is not very unusual to be in such a situation.
You are old enough to splurge a bit on a new hobby, yet you don’t know if it is worth going the whole hog on day 1.

And unlike other hobbies , the difference between a 30K and 10 L system is not that evident upfront (at least objectively) as is say for a 30K gaming PC vs a 5L one - or a 4L car vs a 100L one

The only thing I would say to the OP @Donivlapog is to determine what amount of money would you be comfortable spending where you would not regret having spent the incremental amount (9.7L between the two quoted extremes) on something else.

Also, I would suggest not swinging to either extreme as a 30K system would be uninvolving/ underwhelm to the extent that you will not be left with any motive to explore further - while plonking 10L upfront will very likely leave you with a post purchase dissonance that it wasn’t worth it.

Once you decide on a ballpark number, i think other folks would be able to provide better recommendations as the current range is too wide for anyone to add value to your decision making process

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back