Velodyne 1812 Signature Edition Subwoofer

rikhav

Hi guys
I am a very keen audio enthusiastic but am not very well updated with the scene as some of you are. Infact I was very happy to know from this forum that India does not lack in hard core audio enthusiastic.
I have a pretty basic setup which is nothing to boast about. But soon I will be taking help of you guys for my dream setup

I just wanted to know does anyone of you own the Velodyne Digital Driver 1812 Signature edition subwoofer or has even listened to it?
Velodyne

Some reviews on the internet claim that when it was auditioned it shook the whole building and its capable of producing frequencies below 20hz

Here is the link to one of the reviews
Home Cinema Hardware Reviews

Welcome to the forum Rikhav,

I have not auditioned that sub myself. But there must be someone who has. So lets wait for a while.

I've not heard Signature series (never saw any serious bassheads with 1812 in UK), but had chance to listen to DD18 / DD15. Fantastic product that reproduces very clean bass, *midbass*, in particular.

Things I don't like Velodyne are the Servo control, that limits the capability of the driver / amp. Also the price tag is not attractive, when you have similar or better performing subs in the market, especially in US for half of the cost. Also Velodyne doesn't dig deep at lower frequencies below 20hz in a very good way.

Agree to that. Velodyne are not VFM. In the US market HSU and SVS subwoofers are rated highly and sell a lot due to the attractive price tag.

On Indian soil some of the sub I liked are: JBL E250P and Polk Audio PWS-110 and its next upper model. These were not particularly great for music, but yes, the JBL could also do well in Music.

Hi ranjeet and suniil
Thank you for your replies
Impressive setup by you Suniil and yeah i am also a BASS JUNKY. But as of now i dont have the right equipment to my disposal. I am mostly into music listening (ELCTRONIC MUSIC) and once in a while also love watching movies on a home theatre setup
So whenever i decide to have a proper audio setup i have to have it for both music and movies. And as you also say , a subwoofer is important for both music and movies

What i wanted to know from you guys how is the idea of having 2 drivers + 2 amps in a sub like the 1812, One taking care of 50hz and above and other 50hz and below.
Ideally to what crossover range a subwoofer should be setup to?
I am asking this because if we have bookshelves or satellite speakers a subwoofer would have work from say 90 to 100hz down to whatever it is capable of. In that case the idea on which 1812 works will make the sub work better?

don't worry even 2 fathom's can outperform a Gotham. There is a dedicated dealer in US to handle international sales, who delivers custom built 230v units. Fathom's size to perfomance is amazing

Still, if you accomodate the size of SVS PB13, not much competition here.

JL Audio. Now you are tempting me, aren't you.

Who has the Gotham, tell me fast, can't wait to know :mad:

What i wanted to know from you guys how is the idea of having 2 drivers + 2 amps in a sub like the 1812, One taking care of 50hz and above and other 50hz and below.
I am asking this because if we have bookshelves or satellite speakers a subwoofer would have work from say 90 to 100hz down to whatever it is capable of. In that case the idea on which 1812 works will make the sub work better?

The idea by itself is not bad. But a couple of questions before I answer your queries. Is your listening room good enough to demand such a setup. Buddy my concern is that you would be losing a lot of what these subs can offer in form of punch to the echoic behaviour of your room.

Satelites should not be trusted duties below 200 Hz. Set you x-over to 200-180, not below that.

I've not listened to 1812, hence no idea about that concept and how it can be setup. For me it's a pain to engineer 2 drivers doing different duties from different amps, unless they are seperated in cabinet. The price tag says the complexity involved.

Hi ranjeet and suniil

THX says 80hz, and stick to that if you have decent floorstanders or 100hz if your setup consists of bookshelves / standmound ones. I would say any frequencies in the range of 40-90hz are mid bass. If you are after chest punch bass [music] & trouser flapping [movies] effect Velodyne DD12 to 18, Fathom F112-113, SVS PB13 are good candidates. My SVS produces flat curve [ranges:10hz-100hz] @110db. The air push out from the ports reach 10-12 feet away (i'm going to capture the driver excursion and put in youtube, next week)

Or if you are simply after extra punch to music, several subs can perform extremely well in mid bass area, with lower price tag.

The idea by itself is not bad. But a couple of questions before I answer your queries. Is your listening room good enough to demand such a setup. Buddy my concern is that you would be losing a lot of what these subs can offer in form of punch to the echoic behaviour of your room.

Satelites should not be trusted duties below 200 Hz. Set you x-over to 200-180, not below that.

My room is around 150 sq feet. So what u say is if the room cannot support its no point going so down to the frequency level?
Also if the satelities cannot be truested anything below 200hz, then in that condition everything below that should be through the sub?

I am quiet a novice so pardon me please :)

My SVS produces flat curve [ranges:10hz-100hz] @110db. The air push out from the ports reach 10-12 feet away

:)
It must be a sight to see your SVS sub perform
Do post the video as soon as you can

My room is around 150 sq feet. So what u say is if the room cannot support its no point going so down to the frequency level?
Also if the satelities cannot be truested anything below 200hz, then in that condition everything below that should be through the sub?

I am quiet a novice so pardon me please :)

For a 150 sq feet room, you don't need very heavy duty sub. But then, how much bass you need, you only can tell.

For satelites yes, you need to keep it around 180. If they can handle give them 150 Hz also, but since subs can go upto 200, typically, leave them to do that range.

spot on! small room, unless it is an open plan living area. OP can look for smaller subs that produces clean bass, and not with the high output ones that breaks the glasses & windows!

For a 150 sq feet room, you don't need very heavy duty sub. But then, how much bass you need, you only can tell.

Definitely a good perfomer, comparing to Velodyne DD18, JL Fathom F112 etc mentioned here.

What I like in the spec is *unfiltered output*

Going by the review the TRINITY performs amazingly and the price is also very attractive
@ SUnil, does the UNFILTERED OUTPUT gives a full range output?

If you push the sub beyond the limits there is a protective circuit to suppress the frequencies / power that may cause harm.

Eg. The pulse move has some scenes, which is extremely hard to reproduce at (or above) 110db, velodyne DD series gives you clean output as the servo control limits it.

@ SUnil, does the UNFILTERED OUTPUT gives a full range output?

Back