Velodyne Impact 12 and Y Splitter

shriharsha.p

Hi All
I had posed this question in a different forum but did not get an answer and hence the repitition. Some background: I have a Yamaha RX v-475 paired with Dali Zensor 7s, a Vokal centre and a Velodyne impact 12. I am perfectly happy with the system performance except for a minor irritation: the sub's auto standby feature. What this does is cut off the sub at lower volumes or when low/modertae quality music is being played. The solution to this was increasing the AVR sub channel gain all the way up to +7 on a scale of 10 and correspondingly decreasing the volume knob on the back of the subwoofer itself. Here are my questions/observations:
1. While increasing the sub channel gain to +7 in the AVR has solved the problem BY AND LARGE, the sub still cuts off sometimes at lower volume. I can further increase the sub channel all the way till 10 but would it lead to "signal clipping" as I have read?
2. One other suggested remedy was using a Y splitter for the single LFE subwoofer cable and plugging the subwoofer cable to both left and right LFE pins. Other (respected) forums have indicated that it is going to increase the sub signal gain by 6db and overall boost the sub output by up to 3db. I need a better understanding here of how the sub is coming out of standby. I thought voltage was measured in volts and what is the 6db increase being referred to here? Is it the strength of the output signal from AVR to subwoofer?
3. Assuming 2. above works (there are a lot of people who agree with this). Now because there is a 6db increase in the AVR's subwoofer signal strength, I would again reduce the sub channel gain in the AVR menu by say 2-3db to account for overall increase in sub output level as mentioned above. Will the signal strength from the AVR to sub still be higher than before and bring the sub out of standby at lower volumes and when lesser quality of music is being played now that both L and R of the sub LFE are being fed?
4. If clipping is not an issue at AVR sub channel level of +7, then I'd rather leave it at this level and use the Y splitter to simply increase signal gain to keep the sub on at lower volumes. I will correspondingly reduce the volume knob on the sub to account for any (perceived) increase in sub output/volume.

Any help or comments would be much appreciated,

Cheers
Harsha

Velodyne manual clearly states that we should use a y splitter to prevent the sub going into standby mode. Extract below

when using the line level jacks, some receivers may not provide enough signal to have the units auto-on feature operate properly. Additionally, this lack of signal may also cause the subwoofer to produce less output than it is capable of.to produce less output than it is capable of.

Thanks. Will definitely go in for a Y splitter.

Harsha

Velodyne manual clearly states that we should use a y splitter to prevent the sub going into standby mode. Extract below

when using the line level jacks, some receivers may not provide enough signal to have the units auto-on feature operate properly. Additionally, this lack of signal may also cause the subwoofer to produce less output than it is capable of.to produce less output than it is capable of.

Velodyne manual clearly states that we should use a y splitter to prevent the sub going into standby mode.
9B7ES5

Hi Rikhi
Amazon.in has got a Y splitter for around 1.5k, the brand being mediabridge. I thought this was a bit expensive. I got mine fron Mr.Lokesh in HTstore.in for about 600. My observations:

1. For low quality MP3 songs at least, I see know change as in the sub will not come out of stand by
2. I am however, able to reduce the sub gain in the AVR menu from earlier +7.5 to +6 without the sub cutting off more than what it was doing earlier
3. Maybe (I need to do more testing), the sub stays on / comes out of standby at even lower volumes than earlier
4. The quantum of bass, all other adjustments as it is, I believe, has increased

Thanks
Harsha

Hi Harsha - please let me know the source for ordering the Y splitter. I am also in the same boat.

Thank you,
Rikhi

Hi Rikhi
Amazon.in has got a Y splitter for around 1.5k, the brand being mediabridge. I thought this was a bit expensive. I got mine fron Mr.Lokesh in HTstore.in for about 600. My observations:

1. For low quality MP3 songs at least, I see know change as in the sub will not come out of stand by
2. I am however, able to reduce the sub gain in the AVR menu from earlier +7.5 to +6 without the sub cutting off more than what it was doing earlier
3. Maybe (I need to do more testing), the sub stays on / comes out of standby at even lower volumes than earlier
4. The quantum of bass, all other adjustments as it is, I believe, has increased

Thanks
Harsha

Thanks Harsha - can you provide me the link for buying it on Amazon? Which brand did you get from HTStore?

Regards,
Rikhi

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back