Very effective & non intrusive antivirus for desktop/laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Avast is good. But, recently they have started pop ups. Once you remove that pop up to an obscure location, works fine. Using Win7 PRO(64)

Norton at the office a few years back was causing machines to slow down. We don't have the issue now. I am however a Kaspersky user for home and mobile and never faced a problem of popups or computer slowing down. There must be a setting somewhere to disable them. Sorry. I can't remember right now.

Norton at the office a few years back was causing machines to slow down. We don't have the issue now. I am however a Kaspersky user for home and mobile and never faced a problem of popups or computer slowing down. There must be a setting somewhere to disable them. Sorry. I can't remember right now.
Thanks SSF, no issues. Even if the popups are disabled , am suspecting Kaspersky is slowing down the computers though.

I have been using Quick Heal for more than 15 years now.

Its one of the best I have come across. It was only AV that removed virus and malwares from an infected system. Infact from too many.

Hands down one of the best.

Been using Bitdefender since 2007/8 never changed to another antivirus ever since!
Thanks Ramanuj, looks like Bitdefender is the favourite of quite a few.
I have been using Quick Heal for more than 15 years now.

Its one of the best I have come across. It was only AV that removed virus and malwares from an infected system. Infact from too many.

Hands down one of the best.
Thanks Frend2001, was using Quick Heal many years ago but then changed the AV. I guess they must have improved over the years.

Thanks Spirovious, Bitdefender & Eset - Nod32 seems to be popular here.

Bit defender here too... using it for more than 5 years and no issues at all. Definitely not intrusive or resource hungry.

Using it in many machines with group subscription. Comes very cheap for group subscription (got it from Amazon)

Bit defender! cheap and cheerful (i daresay its 3 year solution for the total security package which is approx 500 to 650 is the cheapest around when bought from Amazon) with no impact on performance (have it installed on my 5 year old laptop) though not entirely free of popups - you'll get one for updates and on connecting to a network with weak encryption or performing an online transaction during which they ask you to use their safepay browser (free with Bitdefender Total Security)

Last edited:
Hi friends,

Can the experts pls let me know which is a good antivirus that does not have annoying pop up's and does not slow down the computer/laptop's performance as they are being used for animation purpose involving heavy rendering.
We have been using Kaspersky for years and there are a lot of pop ups which keep coming up every now and then and I suspect it is slowing down the computer too. Sometimes it suspects Windows files and other legitimate programs too.

I have been told by a friend that Windows defender which is inbuilt in windows with uBlock origin (anti-malware for the browser) is good enough for all purposes.
Ideally the maximum protection would also be required in the case of NetBanking and other financial payments on online sites which we all would like to have.
Pls do let me know your suggestions. Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Nitin
Windows Defender is becoming pretty good day by day and should be enough for the regular home users. That said, it's always better to spend on a decent AV program for additional protection. Trend Micro / ESET (notable mention Avira) has a pretty solid reputation in both the consumer/enterprise segment. They both offer solid protection and very light on resources. As far as the financial transaction is concerned, most of the AV software offers Containerized/Isolated Browsing experience to secure financial transactions.

PS:- Microsoft Edge supports Microsoft Defender Application Guard (Containerized Browsing) in case you want to stick with Windows Defender.

Edit:- This site regularly tests various AV programs and publishes their results.

Last edited:
Bit defender! cheap and cheerful (i daresay its 3 year solution for the total security package which is approx 500 to 650 is the cheapest around when bought from Amazon) with no impact on performance (have it installed on my 5 year old laptop) though not entirely free of popups - you'll get one for updates and on connecting to a network with weak encryption or performing an online transaction during which they ask you to use their safepay browser (free with Bitdefender Total Security

Thanks a lot, looks like Bit Defender is the way to go.
Windows Defender is becoming pretty good day by day and should be enough for the regular home users. That said, it's always better to spend on a decent AV program for additional protection. Trend Micro / ESET (notable mention Avira) has a pretty solid reputation in both the consumer/enterprise segment. They both offer solid protection and very light on resources. As far as the financial transaction is concerned, most of the AV software offers Containerized/Isolated Browsing experience to secure financial transactions.

PS:- Microsoft Edge supports Microsoft Defender Application Guard (Containerized Browsing) in case you want to stick with Windows Defender.

Edit:- This site regularly tests various AV programs and publishes their results.

Thank you for the advice.

Thanks, will visit the site and check it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ramanuj, thanks will surely keep that in mind. Did you experience any lag on your comp ?
I was an avid gamer around 10/12 yrs back and never in my life I encountered any lag. One of the most optimized AV I ever used.

Windows Defender or if you must use an alternate...

avast Freeware (NOT the paid version, it is bloatware)

The freeware is a one trick pony... antivirus only.

The paid version promises also to clean yr PC of rubbish, clean registry, update all installed programs n probably do the dishes in yr kitchen too :) :)

Usually the freeware is the one that has bloatware,even the paid version has bloatware?
Very true in many cases.

The freeware is a one trick pony... antivirus only.

The paid version promises also to clean yr PC of rubbish, clean registry, update all installed programs n probably do the dishes in yr kitchen too :) :)
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back