Very litle bass in Marantz 6006

harry1236

Ive recently purchased Marantz 6006. I was using Onkyo 609 previously. Ive never used Marantz AVR before and after setting it up properly Im feeling that there is very little bass in this Marantz AVR. I thought this problem might be corrected with firmware update so I did that and it feels that bass did improve but very little.

Im using Jamo C405 floorstanding for front and Jamo C80 Subwoofer and center, surround that came with Onkyo HTIB. When I first hooked up everything and setup the system with Audyssey it sounds like there is no bass in the system. With Onkyo I didnt feel any bass problem, maybe on some songs it become very boomy, I used the tone control of Onkyo to control bass and also used music optimizer.

On Marantz 6006 Audyssey set front to large, center to 80hz, surround to 120hz. Ive set the subwoofer volume to minimum still it set it -7db, after setup I turn up the subwoofer volume to half. With this setting with front set to large it is driving front with fullrange and no bass to sub, It sound like that Im using very small speaker, Its not giving any bass just very very little audible bass let alone the punchy bass. Ive to set the front to small and front crossover to 100hz and sub volume to half to get the punchy bass. But with Onkyo I set the front to 40hz and bass tone control to 4db and it delivered very punchy bass from front I admit there was problem of boom. Marantz didnt let me control bass tone control with Audyssey. I'm feeling that my front floorstanding speaker is of no use now and I have to depend on the subwoofer for bass.

I just want to know as I never used Marantz avr before, is this problem is in the particular set that Ive owned. I have an option to replace this avr with Marantz 5007.

Any help will be appreciated.

Onkyo usually has more Bass as marantz is said to be neutral AVR. Neutral means it will sound close to the original recordings.

Try switching off audyssey and apply manual settings and see what happens. I am not a great fan of audyssey.

I've tried this it improves bass but it also turn off dynamic eq. So I've to turn the volume way up close to reference to get the correct bass.

Onkyo usually has more Bass as marantz is said to be neutral AVR. Neutral means it will sound close to the original recordings.

Yes I've also felt that onkyo bass is more prominent but sometime very boomy and marantz bass is very accurate but sometimes feel very week.

Last edited:
Ive recently purchased Marantz 6006. I was using Onkyo 609 previously. Ive never used Marantz AVR before and after setting it up properly Im feeling that there is very little bass in this Marantz AVR. I thought this problem might be corrected with firmware update so I did that and it feels that bass did improve but very little.

Im using Jamo C405 floorstanding for front and Jamo C80 Subwoofer and center, surround that came with Onkyo HTIB. When I first hooked up everything and setup the system with Audyssey it sounds like there is no bass in the system. With Onkyo I didnt feel any bass problem, maybe on some songs it become very boomy, I used the tone control of Onkyo to control bass and also used music optimizer.

On Marantz 6006 Audyssey set front to large, center to 80hz, surround to 120hz. Ive set the subwoofer volume to minimum still it set it -7db, after setup I turn up the subwoofer volume to half. With this setting with front set to large it is driving front with fullrange and no bass to sub, It sound like that Im using very small speaker, Its not giving any bass just very very little audible bass let alone the punchy bass. Ive to set the front to small and front crossover to 100hz and sub volume to half to get the punchy bass. But with Onkyo I set the front to 40hz and bass tone control to 4db and it delivered very punchy bass from front I admit there was problem of boom. Marantz didnt let me control bass tone control with Audyssey. I'm feeling that my front floorstanding speaker is of no use now and I have to depend on the subwoofer for bass.

I just want to know as I never used Marantz avr before, is this problem is in the particular set that Ive owned. I have an option to replace this avr with Marantz 5007.

Any help will be appreciated.

Ok....Bass will not be corrected by firmware update....If the source material has it, then the receiver has to play it...If it is not able to play it, then the receiver doesn't have the oomph to drive the speakers.

Since i own Marantz receiver SR 5200 for more than 2 yrs, here are my observations with Wharfedale diamond 9.2's.

The receiver was rated 85W of power in stereo mode....Going by the specs it is more than enough to drive any demanding speakers..But unfortunately, my receiver struggled to drive the Diamond 9.2's.. I had to turn up the volume more than 50% on the receiver to got a decent output.....

The best way to listen to Marantz receiver for both (stereo & multichannel Movies) is to engage them in Source direct/Pure direct mode... When you engage them, it treats all the speakers are FULL Range..Crossover to Sub woofer for each channel is disabled automatically...

Try this settings & if you are still not convinced about Source direct, then adding a stereo power amplifier is the only solution.....

I have also used Onkyo receiver in the past which has similar function what you explained above..But i like Marantz :eek:hyeah:

This function puts a bit of pressure on the speakers, but the resulting sound is far more convincing....

i don't know much about Audessy..So no comments...

Last edited:
Thanks elangoas for clarifying this.

After listening for few days I observe that

It has enough power to drive Jamo c405 (140w). After Audyssey setup If I set the Front crossover to 80hz and raise the sub volume level the bass is almost perfect. With this setting I can turn up or down the volume of sub to adjust bass. If I set the front speaker to large it depends on songs for the bass output. On hiphop songs the bass is almost always good (but not even close to the sub) but on hindi bollywood songs the bass becomes weak. I noticed midrange is quite high always. This might be because jamo c405 lacks on bass and high on midrange. This problem can be corrected if this avr let me tone control with Audyssey on as the Onkyo 609 was letting me do it. So now Im depending on the sub for bass.

1) If I spend on room acoustic can this improve mid to bass ratio, means can it tame the midrange and make the bass more prominent?
2) Can replacing front speaker solve this problem?
3) Will the power amplifier like Marantz PM6004 helps in this situation?
4) Now Im assuming that there isnt any problem with this particular Marantz 6006 that I owned, is that correct?

Last edited:
Thanks elangoas for clarifying this.

After listening for few days I observe that

It has enough power to drive Jamo c405 (140w). After Audyssey setup If I set the Front crossover to 80hz and raise the sub volume level the bass is almost perfect. With this setting I can turn up or down the volume of sub to adjust bass. If I set the front speaker to large it depends on songs for the bass output. On hiphop songs the bass is almost always good but on hindi bollywood songs the bass becomes weak. I noticed midrange is quite high always. This might be because jamo c405 lacks on bass and high on midrange. This problem can be corrected if this avr let me tone control with Audyssey on as the Onkyo 609 was letting me do it. So now Im depending on the sub for bass.

1) If I spend on room acoustic can this improve mid to bass ratio, means can it tame the midrange and make the bass more prominent?
2) Can replacing front speaker solve this problem?
3) Will the power amplifier like Marantz PM6004 helps in this situation?
4) Now Im assuming that there isnt any problem with this particular Marantz 6006 that I owned, is that correct?

Audessy is more for HT experience......From what i have heard, It calibrates the speakers distance and sets the crossover frequency to the subwoofer....

Not very sure if it will be good for stereo source....

Try playing the same bollywood /hip hop music with source direct/ pure direct mode....BTW, i hope you are playing FLAC,WAV files (or) atleast a CD on CD player/DVD player....

Note : Subwoofer will not receive any Signal..:)

If it is MP3 @ low bit rates, you may not get desired effect....

1) Obviously it will..But keep this as the last option..
2) Too early to say..You need to experiment with placement...Hope you have left sufficient space around each of the towers.. Towards rear wall, Side walls
3) Marantz SR 6006 has Pre Outs..So you can add Power amplifier (Stereo/Multichannel)...Marantz PM 6004 is a stereo amplifier..It can't be added as power amplifier...

Stereo Power amps - Norge 1200, NAD / Onkyo/ Marantz

Multichannel power amps - NAD/ Marantz..
4) No problems with your receiver..You will have to try different settings....

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back