Very Shrill sound output from Denon x1600h

:-( Then the only option left is to play with the Equalizer. Also, i am not sure if Bi-Amp will give any benefit if same power is being sent by front to woofer and surround back to tweeter.
I too think, there won't be any gain with same power. Since you have already done it, you will have better idea. You can try by going back to Original without biamping and then judge yourself. You can take backup of your audyssey setting on a usb (i think its available in settings) incase you want to go back to biamping.

:-( Then the only option left is to play with the Equalizer. Also, i am not sure if Bi-Amp will give any benefit if same power is being sent by front to woofer and surround back to tweeter.

So speaker placement adjustment did not help? Biamp will give required power to each driver. As you might be aware bass drivers need more power than a tweeter. The spl from each driver might change a bit when fed with sufficient power. Try it, see if you like it.

MaSh

So speaker placement adjustment did not help? Biamp will give required power to each driver. As you might be aware bass drivers need more power than a tweeter. The spl from each driver might change a bit when fed with sufficient power. Try it, see if you like it.

MaSh
I did not get time to try the speaker position adjustment :). Will try your suggestions and see the outcome.

I did not get time to try the speaker position adjustment :). Will try your suggestions and see the outcome.
I tried with a angular position for front speakers. It’s sounding better than before. Thanks. However I can comment that new denon receivers are too much on the higher frequency and if you try to reduce it by equalising, overall clarity goes down. My denon 1612 was far more balanced than x1600h. And it was almost half the price :-(

I will keep playing with the manual settings.

One query.... if I add a subwoofer... will it add to the thickness of vocals ?

I tried with a angular position for front speakers. It’s sounding better than before. Thanks. However I can comment that new denon receivers are too much on the higher frequency and if you try to reduce it by equalising, overall clarity goes down. My denon 1612 was far more balanced than x1600h. And it was almost half the price :-(

I will keep playing with the manual settings.

One query.... if I add a subwoofer... will it add to the thickness of vocals ?

Thats great. Polks are known to be bright speakers. Maybe a speaker with warmer signature sounds closer to your taste?

Adding a subwoofer will route the low end only, to the sub. The higher frequencies would still go to the speaker.

MaSh

The Older Denons were really good. the models available over the past few years cater more towards movie playback than music unless you are using their high end models which have more sophisticated circuits and power.

If you are more into Music, then a Marantz NR series would have suited much better. Decent job for movies.....

Anyways, manual EQ would be the best way or Audyssey flat settings after setup.

Rather than Bi Amping....why not assign as "Front B" speakers and then run audyssey setup ...the caliberation will take care of levels and tonal stuff...try that....

The Older Denons were really good. the models available over the past few years cater more towards movie playback than music unless you are using their high end models which have more sophisticated circuits and power.

If you are more into Music, then a Marantz NR series would have suited much better. Decent job for movies.....

Anyways, manual EQ would be the best way or Audyssey flat settings after setup.

Rather than Bi Amping....why not assign as "Front B" speakers and then run audyssey setup ...the caliberation will take care of levels and tonal stuff...try that....
Cannot agree more on your comment for new denon receivers .... will try the A+B option you mentioned.

Thats great. Polks are known to be bright speakers. Maybe a speaker with warmer signature sounds closer to your taste?

Adding a subwoofer will route the low end only, to the sub. The higher frequencies would still go to the speaker.

MaSh
Which speakers ... would fall under the category of warmer signature ?

most of the modern receivers try to boost the higher frequencies and the auto calibration dosent help much with high frequencies. And if our home has more reflective surface, then it adds to the problem.
Do you have walls or windows or glass surface closer to your speakers.

The shrill sound you are referring to, are you hearing like a hiss sound with words which has s.

Which speakers ... would fall under the category of warmer signature ?

Warm signature speakers vary from brand to brand and model to model. The Polks RTiA series, Wharfedale, Bostons, B&W etc. would fall under the warmer category...another thing is to also pair these speakers to the right kind of AVR / AMP to get the best output and SQ.

Honest truth is I tried the Denon X1200 when launched and sold it in a weeks time as I didnt like the SQ. Prior to getting the X1200, I used Marantz for a couple of years and wanted to try something different. There was a lot of hype about the X1200 then with improved SQ etc...so decided to try it out then.......

The X1200 seemed to have power but once you climb the volume, it starts to rattle (like a maruti onmi van trying to overtake a smooth mercedes on the Pune Expressway!).
I then got the NR1605 and was happy with the warm performance. Have upgraded many models since and now using the SR6009 which meets my current demand and requirements of performance. (The latest is SR6013 or SR6014).

In my honest opinion, the Polks T series and Denon dont work well as our own well known forum member had this combo almost 3 /4 years back. I advised him to change the AVR from Denon to Marantz and his life changed for the better. Slowly he traded up his speakers and AVR models with time...He also tried a Aventage Yamaha series AVR for a brief period and now is currently settled with the Marantz SR series.

Try the A + B option and run audyssey...once setup is done...play some familiar content of movies or music at conservative volume levels and see if there is any difference in SQ. If you feel that the settings have underpowered your speakers, you can slowly manually increase all speakers by 1db at a time.

As for me, I have Audyssey 32 XT and after running it, i prefer using the Audyssey Flat setting.

The older model of Denon are far better in build and sq
With added more features, the power supply should have enough juice for all circuits wihin avr.But that's not happening with new AVRs.Low power can make the sound shrill.

most of the modern receivers try to boost the higher frequencies and the auto calibration dosent help much with high frequencies. And if our home has more reflective surface, then it adds to the problem.
Do you have walls or windows or glass surface closer to your speakers.

The shrill sound you are referring to, are you hearing like a hiss sound with words which has s.
I have wall behind the speakers ... By shrill sound I mean ... the tweeter sounds are too harsh .... And I am not getting the THICK but CLEAR sound that I like. If I reduce the high frequencies, the Clarity goes for a toss ... and if I get Clarity ... the high frequency is too harsh ... Can't find a balance unfortunately .... I was more happier with the output from Denon 1612.

Warm signature speakers vary from brand to brand and model to model. The Polks RTiA series, Wharfedale, Bostons, B&W etc. would fall under the warmer category...another thing is to also pair these speakers to the right kind of AVR / AMP to get the best output and SQ.

Honest truth is I tried the Denon X1200 when launched and sold it in a weeks time as I didnt like the SQ. Prior to getting the X1200, I used Marantz for a couple of years and wanted to try something different. There was a lot of hype about the X1200 then with improved SQ etc...so decided to try it out then.......

The X1200 seemed to have power but once you climb the volume, it starts to rattle (like a maruti onmi van trying to overtake a smooth mercedes on the Pune Expressway!).
I then got the NR1605 and was happy with the warm performance. Have upgraded many models since and now using the SR6009 which meets my current demand and requirements of performance. (The latest is SR6013 or SR6014).

In my honest opinion, the Polks T series and Denon dont work well as our own well known forum member had this combo almost 3 /4 years back. I advised him to change the AVR from Denon to Marantz and his life changed for the better. Slowly he traded up his speakers and AVR models with time...He also tried a Aventage Yamaha series AVR for a brief period and now is currently settled with the Marantz SR series.

Try the A + B option and run audyssey...once setup is done...play some familiar content of movies or music at conservative volume levels and see if there is any difference in SQ. If you feel that the settings have underpowered your speakers, you can slowly manually increase all speakers by 1db at a time.

As for me, I have Audyssey 32 XT and after running it, i prefer using the Audyssey Flat setting.
If I want to sell my new Denon now .... Will I get same price or how much cut I have to take ? :)

If I want to sell my new Denon now .... Will I get same price or how much cut I have to take ? :)

Depends on how much you got it for and how many days / weeks it is old? If warranty, original packing in place....possibly a few 1000s

You can post a sell ad on HFV and OLX and try and see the response...then take a call....in the meantime if you are going for a Marantz NR series, check the models and prices....go for the AVR whose functionality and features you will use .....older models like 1608 or 1609 may be a bit cheaper....check

I have wall behind the speakers ... By shrill sound I mean ... the tweeter sounds are too harsh .... And I am not getting the THICK but CLEAR sound that I like. If I reduce the high frequencies, the Clarity goes for a toss ... and if I get Clarity ... the high frequency is too harsh ... Can't find a balance unfortunately .... I was more happier with the output from Denon 1612.

Ok...i understand that...

Before going down the route for changing avr or speaker, may I suggest you to try the audyssey app from playstore/appstore. It is a paid app but it can help you with tweaking the curves. This app is common for both denon and marantz avr, so even if you get a marantz avr later, it will still work (Only take note of compatible avr from the list, but for sure denon x1600 and marantz 1608/1609 is supported). For me, calibration via app gives better result and advantage is that you can tweak the curve on the go and doing trials becomes so much easier. Worth the price, if you ask me. Despite its low rating on playstore, it has worked well for me (around 90% time).

If you decide to get it and need further help on the app, you can PM me.

Cheers
Siju

Before going down the route for changing avr or speaker, may I suggest you to try the audyssey app from playstore/appstore. It is a paid app but it can help you with tweaking the curves. This app is common for both denon and marantz avr, so even if you get a marantz avr later, it will still work (Only take note of compatible avr from the list, but for sure denon x1600 and marantz 1608/1609 is supported). For me, calibration via app gives better result and advantage is that you can tweak the curve on the go and doing trials becomes so much easier. Worth the price, if you ask me. Despite its low rating on playstore, it has worked well for me (around 90% time).

Cheers
Siju
Thanks !! I tried the free IOS app for Denon. In that also the equalizer settings can be changed easily and you can feel how it sounds with every change.... I kept trying few manual tweaks and the sound is much better than before. It has reached to some level that I can live with it. Will keep trying to further improve. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Cheers
Siju
Thanks !! I tried the free IOS app for Denon. In that also the equalizer settings can be changed easily and you can feel how it sounds with every change.... I kept trying few manual tweaks and the sound is much better than before. It has reached to some level that I can live with it. Will keep trying to further improve. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Does it sound shrill even when audyssey turned off? Audyssey sucks in default mode. It completely boosts high frequencies out of range.

If you want to use audyssey, do as Siju suggested and buy that app and change the settings from the app to make the audyssey HF cutoff to something below 1K, then it will only correct for low frequencies. I have kept my cutoff to 200 Hz. Previously, I would always turn off audyssey because it destroyed the sound. But, after the app and tweaking the cutoff, I keep it on.

would you be able to double check that the biamping posts on the speakers are connected correctly?

Most eq settings would cause some minor issue but won’t cause the system to sound very shrill.. Is it possible that at the time of rewiring the new amp to the speakers, only the MF/HF connectors got wired and the LF speaker connectors are open? (has happened with me in the past)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back