Very Shrill sound output from Denon x1600h

druk2004

Friends,

I did the audyssey setup with my new AVR. Somehow the sound output from the x1600h seems to be on the shriller side ... I mean too much towards high frequencies.
I had the Denon 1612 earlier ... which sounded great in the same room and same speaker setup.

I tried the PURE mode also ... same ... very shrill. Anyone else having similar observation with the new X series models from Denon ?

BR
Roy

PS: The only workaround I can think about as of now is to use Manual EQ and reduce the dB on the high frequencies. But ofcourse I wont be able to get the Audyssey benefits if I do this.

You can try by keeping audyssey off for stereo playback. You can use the tone settings (bass and treble) to suit it to your liking. Then you can fine tune with the graphical eq. I personally use audyssey only for watching movies.

You can also try to set your front speakers as Large only for 2 channel listening.

You can save the settings for stereo listening to any of the smart select button.

You can try by keeping audyssey off for stereo playback. You can use the tone settings (bass and treble) to suit it to your liking. Then you can fine tune with the graphical eq. I personally use audyssey only for watching movies.

You can also try to set your front speakers as Large only for 2 channel listening.

You can save the settings for stereo listening to any of the smart select button.
Thanks. I was also planning to do something similar. What is the base curve you are using ? You copied from Audyssey flat or you did your own ?

Also I plan to use Bi amp for 2 channel stereo.
But I could not see any option of selecting the volume seperately for front and surround back if I do bi-amp. Is it Possible ?

BR
Roy

If you copy audyssey flat curve, you may end up getting more shrills. I starded with default and then slightly tweaked it.

I haven't done biamping...however you need to setup the avr for bi amping. It's available in setting.

Cheers
Siju

If you copy audyssey flat curve, you may end up getting more shrills. I starded with default and then slightly tweaked it.

I haven't done biamping...however you need to setup the avr for bi amping. It's available in setting.

Cheers
Siju
OK so you did not use the audyssey base curve. fine !! I have done the Bi-amping. But i would have loved to control the volume for the bi-amp channels separately. But it seems this functionality is not supported by x1600h.

Cheers
Siju
Hi...in your amp assign setting, did you set it to biamp front speakers...You should be able to set levels individually.

Hi...in your amp assign setting, did you set it to biamp front speakers...You should be able to set levels individually.
as per the Manual ... I have to choose Bi-Amp option in the speaker setup ... but I did not find any option of separately controlling the volume levels for Main & Bi-Amp. I also ran the Audessey setup with Bi-Amp ... even then it does not show "YES" for surround back speaker .... altough I can clearly make out that tweeter sound is coming during Audessey setup.

Maybe this option is not there in x1600h.

Not able to set levels dosent make sense (to me) and the reason to be omitted.
Running audyssey again after bi amping is the right way, which you have done. Once the amp is dedicated for biamping, it will not indicate surround back as yes. Ideally, it shouldn't indicate surround back at all.

I am assuming your speaker supports biamping and you have removed the connector plate between both of your speaker terminals.

Also please recheck under settings>speakers>audyssey>manual >amp assign that biamping is enabled. Also when you press info on your home screen, biamping should be indicated.

try changing the front speaker position and run audyssey again. i ran mine with speakers pointed straight as recommended in the speaker manual but iirc audyssey suggests to toe-in the speakers towards main listening position. it made a big difference to my setup as even i was getting a shrill high-end before i toed in the speakers.

Could you mention the crossover settings set by Audyssey? Do you have a Subwoofer?

MaSh

Not able to set levels dosent make sense (to me) and the reason to be omitted.
Running audyssey again after bi amping is the right way, which you have done. Once the amp is dedicated for biamping, it will not indicate surround back as yes. Ideally, it shouldn't indicate surround back at all.

I am assuming your speaker supports biamping and you have removed the connector plate between both of your speaker terminals.

Also please recheck under settings>speakers>audyssey>manual >amp assign that biamping is enabled. Also when you press info on your home screen, biamping should be indicated.
Speaker supports biamp and I have removed the connector plate. Also under amp assign I have put it into bi amp. But can’t see bi amp when I press info.
I will share few screenshots.

try changing the front speaker position and run audyssey again. i ran mine with speakers pointed straight as recommended in the speaker manual but iirc audyssey suggests to toe-in the speakers towards main listening position. it made a big difference to my setup as even i was getting a shrill high-end before i toed in the speakers.
I will try the front speaker angle as suggested by you. Will let you know the outcome.

Front and Center is full band and surround is crossed at 80.

I don’t have sub woofer.
Oh alright. Have you tried different speaker placements? What's the distance between the speakers, from wall behind them and are they toed in? If speakers are over 6 feet apart, try bringing them closer and toeing away. Also check the bridges to make sure they are tight and all drivers are playing.

Polls are considered bright, however not thin. Audyssey should be able to control them to an extent.

MaSh

Speaker supports biamp and I have removed the connector plate. Also under amp assign I have put it into bi amp. But can’t see bi amp when I press info.
I will share few screenshots.
Hi...after going through denon manual, found out that the avr is Sending same power to woofer and tweater....so I guess setting different levels is not an option with denon, even with higher Models.

Oh alright. Have you tried different speaker placements? What's the distance between the speakers, from wall behind them and are they toed in? If speakers are over 6 feet apart, try bringing them closer and toeing away. Also check the bridges to make sure they are tight and all drivers are playing.

Polls are considered bright, however not thin. Audyssey should be able to control them to an extent.

MaSh
Hi...after going through denon manual, found out that the avr is Sending same power to woofer and tweater....so I guess setting different levels is not an option with denon, even with higher Models.
:-( Then the only option left is to play with the Equalizer. Also, i am not sure if Bi-Amp will give any benefit if same power is being sent by front to woofer and surround back to tweeter.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back