VFM Vinyl Wiping Cloth

Greenhorn, It should be available at any lab supply shoppe.

I had figured as much, but googling is giving me a whole bunch of shops from pharmacists to equipment manufacturers in chennai, so if anybody knows a specific shop, at least it would save me the wild goose chase!

I had figured as much, but googling is giving me a whole bunch of shops from pharmacists to equipment manufacturers in chennai, so if anybody knows a specific shop, at least it would save me the wild goose chase!
In Pune, we have few chemical distributors who sell cleaning chemicals - detergents, sanitation acids etc and materials required for laundry owners. There I got it. Please try to locate similar in Chennai.

For Wet cleaning, after trying few sorts of soft cotton clothe, including the branded microfibers, I settled down to good old Indian style. May look funny and you may laugh at me:yahoo::yahoo:

That is old Banian(used) Cloth:lol:. There is no debate that, the Banian cloth is made in such a way, to take care of our skin, which is more sensitive than any automotive surface or off course Vinyls.

I normally wear white and pure cotton Banian. The Banians will be discarded after 3 or 4 months when small holes starts appearing at the top part. I will cut the top part and keep the bottom part, the width and height of which almost equal or little bigger to 12" LP. That will be 2 layers.

Because of usage and everyday wash, the cloth will be very smooth, light and lint free. I will once again get it washed clean and one more wash with no detergents. With time, lot of such pieces got accumulated at home.

When the Vinyl is cleaned with water, I will keep the vinyl between two layers of such banian pieces. With gentle press, nearly 100% wet will be absorbed by the Cloth and the vinyl will be very fresh and almost dry.

I got this Idea from my Wife, who actually keeping such used Banian waste generated at Home for wiping of Silver Pooja Items after clean wash.

The one important thing, I use cloth of only my Banians because I equally love Vinyls as of my Body.

Please share if any of you following such funny but useful methods.

The best, I've found so far, is Scotch-Brite sponge wipes (readily available at all supermarkets) for wet wiping and drying. I wet the LP at the kitchen tap, add a drop of standard hand soap solution, and swirl it around with the sponge wipe. After washing off the soap under the tap, I pat off all the surplus water using a second sponge wipe, and keep the LP aside to dry, which is just a matter of a few minutes. For extra dirty LPs, do it twice over. No lint, quick absorption of water, and LPs clean as with a dedicated cleaning machine. And despite all the hoo-hahs about destructive detergent chemicals, I've never had a problem in over 30 years of such cleaning. Vinyl is a lot more resilient than is often made out to be.

All banian users of LP, it gets lint stuffed into groove and eventually you will get lot of collected on stylus tip while you play record wet. On dry record that Banian wiping result permanent noise till next wash and vacuum dry. That's why I moved car wiping chamois.

car wiping chamois is an idea though many people don't recommend wet record playing. Anyway its definitely not for my preferred shellacs :)

I feel that even the best micro fiber cloth has static charges. I feel nappy cloth (made by mothercare) is the best. Has anyone tried Walker Audio's Talisman to remove statics and magnetism from the Vinyl, CD, DVD & Blu Ray.

If the purpose of the wipe is to clean the dust and lint deposit on the record, before playing a record, an antistatic brush is the better solution compared to a cloth wipe. The brush is purpose made to clean a record surface and it is easy to brush the surface of a spinning record. It cleans the whole surface in a few revolutions. The antistatic coating on the hairs helps attract the dust. The dust that accumulates on the brush can be easily shaken off by brushing it against another surface (I brush it off on my pants!). Works everytime:)

Back