Video upscaling + HT Audio decoding

B_Krishnakumar

Hi all,
I am still researching and hope to make the jump in a few weeks. My profile is typically 60% movies and 40% music.

Background: I have a 32LCD with 3 HDMI inputs, 1 old DVD player with no HDMI output and a cable box with no HDMI output. Also, a set of 5 JBL speakers. The subwoofer has conked out.

I don't want to spend too much now, but would like to build piece by piece, without compromising on quality much.

What would give me the best bang-for-the-buck right now, assuming I have about 35K-45K to spend?

Would a video upscaling AVR help, since all my current video sources are analog output? Or should I just upgrade the DVDP and get Tata sky or something?

I was impressed with the marantz 5003 at marantz - it is 7.1 with HD audio plus does video upscaling. I would just need to get a good subwoofer for now. There doesn't seem to be many dealers here, in Bangalore.

The Yamaha RX V565 https://www.yamahamusicindia.com/products/products_detail.aspx?ImageId=875 also seems to be good, at a slightly higher price, since I would still have to get a subwoofer. Unfortunately the V465 doesn't seem to do upscaling.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Regards,
-kumar

In your budget (+20% as is the norm in HFV :lol: ), go for a middle tier AVR like Denon 1610 or Yamaha 565/465 and the front 2.0 BS speakers and build the rest of the 3.1 whenever budget permits. You can also consider an upscaling DVDP like Pioneer 610 (<7k) for upscaling the DVDs, you may typically watch TV without routing thru the AVR and also the TV should have a decent upscaler for SD content anyways.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back