Viewing from Longer wall vs shorter wall

venky4c

Hi,

I am about to start construction for my house the plan for which is attached herewith. The Living Room cum HT dimension is 11.5 ft x 16.5 ft.

There are 2 Options for me
1. Ideally I would like to watch the movies from Longer dimension of 16.5 to get the max viewing distance. I do not have a wide enough wall to accommodate a wide screen as there is door opening. I can have a sliding door and have a hanging screen. But I am afraid motorised screens lose sheen after a period of time.
2. The second option is to watch by putting fixed screen on the 16.5 wall, as suggested by my architect. But I am afraid, it will reduce the viewing distance to just about 10' (after deducting 1.5 from 11.5 for seating position)

What do the experts suggest? Option 1 or 2.

I am hoping to have a clear height of 9.5 ht for ceiling. Will that be enough, if I go for false ceiling?
PS: I have bought Epson 5200 already :)
Thanks,
Venky

Attachments

• RevisedColumns.jpg
    RevisedColumns.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 65
Hi Venky

I had a similar problem some years ago, I had placed my screen on the shorter length-the wall was broader, and easier to mount my screen,. However I found to my dismay that the sound was very boomy and unsatisfying, so I shifted the pull down screen to the longer side and it has worked very well for me. Its worth checking how the acoustics work on both axes, if you have that option.

George,

I got confused with your answer. Are you saying it is better to have viewing distance as shorter or longer. If I place the screen on longer wall, the viewing distance will be only 11.5(max). Are you saying this is better or vice-versa?

Hi
My suggestion is to go for screen on shorter wall, you will get good viewing distance and good acoustics. Use either motorised screen or pull down screen
which will not affect the functioning of door.
Anil.

Anil,

This was exactly my thinking. But I was put off by some experts recommending to go for Fixed screen, as it is better functionally than a motorised screen. If more people who have used retracteable/motorised screen vouch for it, I will consider this option itself, as it gives more viewing distance and better acoustics.

Thanks,
Venky

Sorry if I confused you Venky. I originally planned to mount my screen on the shorter length but better acoustics made me do it on the longer one, I had already wired up for mounting the projector on the ceiling and was ready to go, but luckily was able to make the change. Bottom line, keep acoustics in mind when making your final decision about it.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back