Views on the marantz cd6005?

bigron

Hey folks

Looking to add this to my current setup that consist of a yamaha s500 and jbl bookshelves. I ve read splendid reviews of the product but was wondering if any of the folks here have actually used it. Also the whole marantz products failing for one reason or other is a downer. Any views on the longevity of this product and performance. Or a worthy alternative? Thanks.

i dont think marantz products are unreliable as you said. i have been useing marantz products for the last 26 years.right now i am useing marantz cd 6004.

Thank you for the prompt reply. It is confidence inspiring to hear that you have had such a long fruitful association with the brand. In terms of performance does it fit the bill compared to its peers. Any alternative you would like to suggest. As a matter of personal knowledge does it matter if the cd player is of a different brand as the amplifier.

of course you can try nad ,rotel, cambridge audio at the same price level,but tonally, my preference is marantz .amp and cd player need not be the same brand.

Have been using the cd6005 for about 4 months now...great build, smooth operation though takes a couple of seconds longer to read CDs compared to my other CD player which is a CA 640C v2....compared to the Cambridge Audio player, I'm hearing greater detail and more bass...the CA sounds more upbeat but some people would call it bright. All in all a very good player esp if you can get a good deal.

People having mixed opinion on Marantz products reliability. What I seen was Marantz products are very sensitive to voltage fluctuation and less immune to voltage spikes. On other hand Marantz build quality is a notch above than other products in the same price range.

CD 6005 is a good product. The sound of CD6004 and 6005 are little brighter compare to their earlier model 6003.

Am using Marantz cd 6005 for close to an year now. It is definitely a good player - Build quality is good. To add this is my first dedicated CD player for my stereo setup. In my view, one cannot go wrong with Marantz, how a system will respond to voltage fluctuations cannot be said/documented.

In my view, one cannot go wrong with Marantz, how a system will respond to voltage fluctuations cannot be said/documented.

Input transformer failures are considerably high in Marantz products (a common feedback by many people). Fortunately we not faced till. Voltage fluctuation (spikes) is the reason for such failures.

I have a lot of experience with Marantz cd players, especially the CD63 series. They are built like tanks and will sing for years and years, without a single skip or jump (provided your cds are in good shape of course). However once the original laser wears out and you have to replace it, the newer ones made in China are not of good quality and they hardly last for 4 or 5 years.

of late the cd6005 that I have poses cd skipping issue - in fact I bought the new released OKK ( Ok Kanmani ) CD and played and a particular sing continuously skips - I was wondering if it has to do any with player or with CD .. However, when I played the same CD in my bluray player it did work ok.

so, am unable to conclude if it's Marantz player has th eissue or the CD - are Marantz players too sensitive ?

I have been using cd6003 for close to 5 yrs now and it does not play all the CD's ...this was the case even in early days .......not able to even detect DIVO music CD's ...like Velai Illa Pathadari and the recent Komban ....the same ones used to play in my old Philips player ....I recently purchased a UD7007 (Universal Player) ....and use that to play all that which 6003 refuses to play.

Ok Kanmani CD which I have has light scratches (when I purchased) around the 8th track ...but it does not skip in my CD6003 .

Last edited:
exactly, OK Kanmani CD in Marantz fails to play the 8th track and little of 7 also . but it does play good in any other dvd player/blu ray player

The sound of CD6004 and 6005 are little brighter compare to their earlier model 6003.

Its the new DAC CS-4398, and its more detailed and not bright. I have it.
I too thought so, but If I run full treble with loudness on, what shall sound mellow? Why this mistake, I thought loudness only boosts bottom-end and not top-end. which is not the case here.
It needs a bit breakin ..if u believe in it off-course.

Just wanted to check with you people so thats y I am pulling this thread out.

Is built-in USB supports FLAC and WAV format? I saw WHAT-HIFI says it supports WAV but no info about FLACs. Has anyone tried flac through USB?

I have been using Marantz CD6003 for 5+ years with Marantz PM7004 with Focal BS speakers. Though A moderate user, I feel the Marantz have been sturdily built. The experience of listening on this combo has been excellent for me. Frankly, I haven’t compared with other recent options, but definitely it feels better than hearing on a Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro headphone through an AK Kann heard today.

I own a CD5004 which has been flawless until the laser died. It was replaced locally with a Philips laser and is singing like new. I believe the 6xxx series has better components including a longer lasting laser. All in all, fantastic and full bodied sound from a budget CDP.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back