Vintage Equalizer

ShantaramChari

Anyone still having this Arphi Stereo Graphic Equalizer. My Dad had the Equalizer which was passed to me. The Equalizer in almost 30years old and has some scuffs on the top. I used this Equalizer for 10yrs, now the problem is the sliders are not working that too all the sliders. There are almost 22 sliders.

I just wanted to know how much will be the cost of repairing this beauty back in running. And what price will I be able to get if I sell this one.

Thanks In Advance

Attachments

• 16237328380.jpg
    16237328380.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 16237328381.jpg
    16237328381.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 20210603_125031.jpg
    20210603_125031.jpg
    932.6 KB · Views: 63
Anyone still having this Arphi Stereo Graphic Equalizer. My Dad had the Equalizer which was passed to me. The Equalizer in almost 30years old and has some scuffs on the top. I used this Equalizer for 10yrs, now the problem is the sliders are not working that too all the sliders. There are almost 22 sliders.

I just wanted to know how much will be the cost of repairing this beauty back in running. And what price will I be able to get if I sell this one.

Thanks In Advance
Since it used only by your family, that might have not put into lot stress and abuse. It is an high end indigenous product of 60-70s in line with cosmic and other reputed Indian brands. In those days, the hi-fi audio equipment were built to last for life time. Hope, it can be easily restored by an expert, provided this was kept in an insect free environment. Most of the times, it may require only dusting up and cleaning of contacts and movable parts with proper cleaners/lubes.

Last edited:

Thanks In Advance
Replacement sliders can be easily procured from the local market, but before going in for slider replacement, it is always good to have the original ones opened up and cleaned properly. Most slider issues are due to dust accumulation over the years (after all, the have these long open slits). Ordinary contact cleaner and various other readily available remedies can be used for the purpose. A better way to accomplish this would be to remove the sliders from the PCB, carefully open each one up, dismantle them completely and give the whole thing a through clean up. However if you are not comfortable with doing this, you can still open up the cabinet and spray the sliders without taking them out of the PCB. All the very best.

On another note, what a lovely piece. You can probably get the top cover repainted to make it look good. It is heartening to note that such products were manufactured in India in those times.

Edit: if your sliders are not sliding freely and you feel that something is engaging inside while sliding, then that requires a closer look, ultimately warranting a replacement perhaps.

Since it used only by your family, that might have not put into lot stress and abuse. It is an high end indigenous product of 60-70s in line with cosmic and other reputed Indian brands. In those days, the hi-fi audio equipment were built to last for life time. Hope, it can be easily restored by an expert, provided this was kept in an insect free environment. Most of the times, it may require only dusting up and cleaning of contacts and movable parts with proper cleaners/lubes.
Yes there was no strees on the Equalizer nor any abuse done to it. It was used very carefully but now the sliders aren't functioning so it needs some basic servicing

Replacement sliders can be easily procured from the local market, but before going in for slider replacement, it is always good to have the original ones opened up and cleaned properly. Most slider issues are due to dust accumulation over the years (after all, the have these long open slits). Ordinary contact cleaner and various other readily available remedies can be used for the purpose. A better way to accomplish this would be to remove the sliders from the PCB, carefully open each one up, dismantle them completely and give the whole thing a through clean up. However if you are not comfortable with doing this, you can still open up the cabinet and spray the sliders without taking them out of the PCB. All the very best.

On another note, what a lovely piece. You can probably get the top cover repainted to make it look good. It is heartening to note that such products were manufactured in India in those times.

Edit: if your sliders are not sliding freely and you feel that something is engaging inside while sliding, then that requires a closer look, ultimately warranting a replacement perhaps.
I tried cleaning all the 22 sliders but didn't worked. I then checked the resistance which was supposed to be 50k on all the sliders, but the sliders were not showing 50k all were high. So I will need to change the sliders. I wish I could find them easily.

I wish Arphi starts to produce their speakers again. I would love to buy their speakers

I tried cleaning all the 22 sliders but didn't worked. I then checked the resistance which was supposed to be 50k on all the sliders, but the sliders were not showing 50k all were high. So I will need to change the sliders. I wish I could find them easily.

I wish Arphi starts to produce their speakers again. I would love to buy their speakers
Arphi speakers comes for resale in olx/quikr some times. You can keep an eye.

All these slider types can be purchased locally or online.

The key aspects to be noticed when purchasing slider pots is the same with regular pots:

1) resistance of the slider pot
2) single vs dual slider pot
3) log or linear slider pot

also for sliders, the size (length) of the slider is also a key factor.

I found these online

All these slider types can be purchased locally or online.

The key aspects to be noticed when purchasing slider pots is the same with regular pots:

1) resistance of the slider pot
2) single vs dual slider pot
3) log or linear slider pot

also for sliders, the size (length) of the slider is also a key factor.

I found these online
The sliders are 50k Log. I am awaiting for the shops to be open completely in Grant Road so that I can purchase them. Also I need many other parts since I want to repair a Vintage SHARP Stereo Amplifier.

Yes, for good quality noise-less stereo sound, a good antenna is always a blessing, even if you are in the coverage area.
The sliders are 50k Log. I am awaiting for the shops to be open completely in Grant Road so that I can purchase them. Also I need many other parts since I want to repair a Vintage SHARP Stereo Amplifier.
50k log should be easily available. Dont forget to keep in mind the size aspects for a good fit on the PCB. Not a bad idea to carry along a sample when buying. When checking out the new sliders at the shop, ensure that they slide smoothly, and easily without having to exert much pressure. Unlike the standard rotary POTs, slider POTs are not sold that often hence you are likely to find stored stock.

Yes, for good quality noise-less stereo sound, a good antenna is always a blessing, even if you are in the coverage area.

50k log should be easily available. Dont forget to keep in mind the size aspects for a good fit on the PCB. Not a bad idea to carry along a sample when buying. When checking out the new sliders at the shop, ensure that they slide smoothly, and easily without having to exert much pressure. Unlike the standard rotary POTs, slider POTs are not sold that often hence you are likely to find stored stock.
Thankyou for the valuable info. Hope I find the same and get this beauty running fine again

Thanks In Advance
Hi
I have the same model at Home.
This was gifted to me by a close friend of mine and I too faced similar issues .
I got a contact in Mumbai who serviced it and replaced the spiders.
It works like a charm and I have connected it to my system and I personally like the Equalized sound.
Kindly PM me for the details and I will share it with you .
Thanks
Manoj

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210716-231138_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210716-231138_WhatsApp.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 53
Hi
This was gifted to me by a close friend of mine and I too faced similar issues .
It works like a charm and I have connected it to my system and I personally like the Equalized sound.
Thanks
Manoj
Lovely to see it running again.

I got my equalizer serviced by myself by changing all the sliders.

Thankyou for the reply

Hi
Thanks
Manoj
Hello sir, can you send me some pics of the power supply area of the equalizer

@zero7 Nice build.
Request moderators to move the 3-4 conversations here related to radio antenna to any relevant thread, so other FMs also get benefitted.
Hi. I notice from your list of gear that you are using a Pioneer Graphic Equaliser SA 9800. Mine just conked out as the transformer and transistor have burnt out. Do you know who can repair it ? Or else , where I can get a similar one from, or any other Graphic Equaliser in good working condition ?Thanks

Hi. I notice from your list of gear that you are using a Pioneer Graphic Equaliser SA 9800. Mine just conked out as the transformer and transistor have burnt out. Do you know who can repair it ? Or else , where I can get a similar one from, or any other Graphic Equaliser in good working condition ?Thanks
Hi
I know some body who can repair such stuff but they are in Mumbai .
Are u okay for the same?
Thanks
Manoj

Anyone still having this Arphi Stereo Graphic Equalizer.
I rescued this same Arphi Eq from going into dump, its in good condition but I'm not able to activate its Eq. Tried pressing Eq switch ON/OFF , moved all sliders but the sound is flat, no Eq effect
I would be happy If you can help me in this regard

Update- Previous mechanic changed the transformer with higher voltage damaging the LM1458 opamp. Therefore no sound

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back