Vinyls in Kolkata

mksharan

Rhythm House at City Center, Salt Lake, Kolkata has got a list of vinyls which they can get in couple of weeks time if you order. Have ordered few Beatles lps.

Manoj Sharan

Rhythm House at City Center, Salt Lake, Kolkata has got a list of vinyls which they can get in couple of weeks time if you order. Have ordered few Beatles lps.

Manoj Sharan

Music World in Park Street, Kolkata has a few records as well.

Terrible condition indeed, for the most part, exacerbated by poor storage. And despite that, they quote fancy prices, much higher than you'd ever pay in Bombay.

But sometimes you get lucky. I've had two or three good hauls there, unusual titles in great condition. Including a copy of 'Ogden's Nut Gone Flake' on the pink Immediate label with the tobacco can cover design, in mint condition.

Oh man! Reminds me of my days growing up in the 80's in Kolkata - Back then Free School Street was it! We were a bunch of fanatical music collectors and back then hardly anything ever released in India so getting a "imported" copy was the way to go and you had celebrity value if you had stuff on vinyl (everyone made copies on tape)...

There used to be a guy names Ishrat who had the largest collection...I think he left the biz back in the late 90's and opened a foreign exchange place diagonally across the street...Still remember buying my first sealed "Live Dead" by the Grateful Dead for 400 bucks (200 was the going price for a sealed single album) which was a fortune back in those days!

So are there any vinyl collectors and lovers in my hometown??? I would love to hook up with fellow music lovers when I visit home every year.

Rajiv
(In Dallas, Texas, USA)

Oh man! Reminds me of my days growing up in the 80's in Kolkata - Back then Free School Street was it! We were a bunch of fanatical music collectors and back then hardly anything ever released in India so getting a "imported" copy was the way to go and you had celebrity value if you had stuff on vinyl (everyone made copies on tape)...

There used to be a guy names Ishrat who had the largest collection...I think he left the biz back in the late 90's and opened a foreign exchange place diagonally across the street...Still remember buying my first sealed "Live Dead" by the Grateful Dead for 400 bucks (200 was the going price for a sealed single album) which was a fortune back in those days!

So are there any vinyl collectors and lovers in my hometown??? I would love to hook up with fellow music lovers when I visit home every year.

Rajiv
(In Dallas, Texas, USA)

Hi, Rajiv
There are quite a few vinyl freaks in Kolkata, and their number, I believe is steadily on the rise. Thanks to some great used record stores, my LP (and 45) collection has grown to about 150 already, though I have started out just about a year ago

Subhayu

Unfortunately Free Street School items are quite badly stored and though you may get good titles, you cringe at their state. Nevertheless, I had picked up quite a few the last time I was in Kol. Didn't have the time to go to Dharamtala. Fellow forumers had told me there is a good LP seller there too. By the way, there are two sellers in Free School Str.
Joshua

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back