Vinyls with outstanding STEREO effects

Do Vinyls really produce better STEREO sound

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Lots of track of 'The Beatles' have good stereo sound stage. Also try 'The Delfonics'

Last edited:
Lots of track of 'The Beatles' have good stereo sound stage. Also try 'The Delfonics'

Was just coming to that. The Beatles were probably the most stereophonic band of their time. Its a shame that a lot of people end up with just Floyd or Straits. Led Zeppelin was another great proponent of stereo. You seem to forget Santana, Van Halen. FOr soundstaging and imaging, nothing compares with Blue Note records, especially those produced by Rudy Van Gelder. Frank Sinatra on Capitol records with the Nelson Riddle orchestra, Miles Davis (Working, Steaming, Cooking and Relaxing) on Prestige. Has anyone even tried to listen to ELP or the Moody Blues?

There are guys arranging microphones, guys sitting at mixing desks, guys doing mastering. These are the people to thank for a stereo sound stage being convincing, or to blame if it isn't, or if the separation from close miking, or mixing down individually recorded parts, along with the pan controls, is felt to be artificial.

I don't know, but wouldn't a lot of very early stuff have been originally recorded in mono? When did that change for "non-serious" music? Would the early Beatles singles have been mono?

There are guys arranging microphones, guys sitting at mixing desks, guys doing mastering. These are the people to thank for a stereo sound stage being convincing, or to blame if it isn't, or if the separation from close miking, or mixing down individually recorded parts, along with the pan controls, is felt to be artificial.

+1 to that

Over the last weekend I attended a live performance by Hugh Masakela. The track Stimela was a stunning piece. What a performance!

Kidding folks. The track was from Thorens 125 anniversary LP edition.
The chain was Garrard 401 feeding EAR912 powering the
Tannoy MG 15.

One of the best recordings and stunning reproduction by the gear.

Last edited:

I don't know, but wouldn't a lot of very early stuff have been originally recorded in mono? When did that change for "non-serious" music? Would the early Beatles singles have been mono?

The Beatles first album in the UK was mono. No doubt about that. The guys placing the mics etc etc etc all act under the supervision of the producer.

Anyway, don't put mono into the conversation, because we're talking about good stereo. And that is the responsibility of the guy in the booth.

That is why I mentioned certain bands. Floyd=Alan Parson, Beatles=George Martin and the other bands and producers combination. A really bad album (IMHO) I remember was Eric Clapton's August, which was produced by Phil Collins and ended up sounding like a really soft Genesis album. Of course, your music does vary and people actually enjoy this particular album. As for non serious music, if you listen to Junoon's debut album, the production is so shabby, but the album shines through because of its energy. If you actually just wanted to listen to stereo then you're best of with Spectacular Sound Effects. No music and not serious at all.

If you actually just wanted to listen to stereo then you're best of with Spectacular Sound Effects. No music and not serious at all.

:lol:

Yep. Things like flies buzzing around the soundstage are momentary diversions. it's the melody and lyrics of Granchester Meadows that linger longer with me. And, although my copy is vinyl, I don't care what the medium is.

The Beatles first album in the UK was mono. No doubt about that. .

All of the Beatles albums were recorded in Stereo (initially two track, later multi-track) , but right from 'Please Please Me' up to 'The White Album', the recordings were mixed down to Mono, and the LPs were released in the UK in both Mono and Stereo versions. Because most home audio systems in the UK were Mono in the early to mid-60s, more copies of the Mono versions were sold in those days. In fact, greater care was accorded to the Mono mixes, which were personally supervised by John and Paul. The Stereo mixes were considered less important, and were left to the studio engineers. John Lennon famously said ' If you really want to listen to Sgt.Pepper, you need to hear the mono version'

EMI is due to release, on Sept 9th, the 'Beatles in Mono' box set consisting of all of the original Mono LPs up to the 'White Album', plus the US release of the mono 'Magical Mystery Tour' and a 3LP Mono Masters of non-album singles (14 LPs in all). They will also be available separately. The best part of this release is that all have been remastered from the original Analog tapes, with no digitalization in any part of the chain -unlike the Stereo LP box set issued two years back, which had digitalized every single track.

Advance copies have been sent to reviewers, and one of the most prominent analog gurus, Michael Fremer, has a series of videos on his site (linked below) about this release:

Beatles Mono Box Arrives! | Analog Planet

Sure Guys....

When I was putting idea of STEREO effects, I was fascinated by the effects and soundstage created by placing and introducing different instruments at a certain point of time.

The best example in Indian scenario was R D Burman, when my FM are listing The Burning Train and Shaan, they are doing so because R D Burman himself was fascinated with STEREO. I've read that he was a sucker for new technology and sound machines / synthesizer. He probably arranged best STEREO arrangement in bollywood till advent of Viju Shah, Sandeep Chowta and the real prodigy A R Rahman.

In bollywood specifically STEREO effects was a simple arrangement of instruments placed on either right or left channel. A guitar which started playing on left channel will keep playing thru left channel till end of song. vice a versa for other channel.

But Pancham AKA R D Burman's placements were superb. You just had to close your eyes and listen to him STEREO compositions....a trumpet would start blowing from left channel and will revolve and end up in right channel. A duet will have male voice singing from left and female from right one and so on.

enough of this babbling.....

My fascination with STEREO is simply for the soundstage created by a creative placement of instruments which compliments a superb vocal and composition.

cheers......

'Time' and 'Money' on PinkFloyd's The Dark side of the moon had given me real impression about stereo effect. Those evergreen tracks still touch me. Lyrical depth, music, stereo effects, composition........

100% agree. There are plenty of examples. There are some superb bengali LPs (basic songs released during Durga Puja/ Navratri) music by none other than Panchamda sounds just astounding.

On stereo canvas, Shakti, Sholay, Shalimar, Mahaan, Pukar, Gurudev, Karishma, Teri Kasam, Sanam Teri Kasam, Betaab, Apne Apne, Anand Aur Anand, Swami Dada, Andar Bahar, Ram Tere Kitne Naam, Alibaba Aur 40 Chor to name a few are just superb.

Listen to Shakti music pieces available only on vinyl - gives goosebumps.

Sure Guys....

When I was putting idea of STEREO effects, I was fascinated by the effects and soundstage created by placing and introducing different instruments at a certain point of time.

The best example in Indian scenario was R D Burman, when my FM are listing The Burning Train and Shaan, they are doing so because R D Burman himself was fascinated with STEREO. I've read that he was a sucker for new technology and sound machines / synthesizer. He probably arranged best STEREO arrangement in bollywood till advent of Viju Shah, Sandeep Chowta and the real prodigy A R Rahman.

In bollywood specifically STEREO effects was a simple arrangement of instruments placed on either right or left channel. A guitar which started playing on left channel will keep playing thru left channel till end of song. vice a versa for other channel.

But Pancham AKA R D Burman's placements were superb. You just had to close your eyes and listen to him STEREO compositions....a trumpet would start blowing from left channel and will revolve and end up in right channel. A duet will have male voice singing from left and female from right one and so on.

enough of this babbling.....

My fascination with STEREO is simply for the soundstage created by a creative placement of instruments which compliments a superb vocal and composition.

cheers......

Very aptly said Sourav.....

The shakti piece you are talking about is one of the reasons I got lured into vinyls.....

Hats off to the Lord.

Jai Pancham.

P.S. : I've a feeling we're not more on original topic but talk about music or talk about Pancham, it's all the same.

How much is the contributions from record companies in good sound stage. I have some T-Series LP's (Dil etc) which to me sounds very bad no sound stages..

T-series is notorious for it's bad quality be it cassettes, records, CDs, equipments.

I guess music india is best in terms of vinyl quality and pressing, EMI (HMV) is second.

Music co. really killed a lot of good music releases.

How much is the contributions from record companies in good sound stage. I have some T-Series LP's (Dil etc) which to me sounds very bad no sound stages..

T-series is notorious for it's bad quality be it cassettes, records, CDs, equipments.

Particularly the 'Dil' LP is very bad. Among the worst I guess in the stereo era. An average pressing 1950 record will sound more lively than the Dil LP.

However, Qayamat se Qayamat Tak LP sounds very warm and analog on the LP. That too from T-series.

I guess music india is best in terms of vinyl quality and pressing, EMI (HMV) is second.

I guess CBS would be equally good to Polydor/ Music India. But I think we are digressing from the topic:)

yeah but this talk is indulging :)

I've CBS pressing of Zameen Aasman and It's way too sharp for my ears....the treble is simply too high.

The Beatles were probably the most stereophonic band of their time.

I'd call them "stereophonic extremists" actually. The stereo mixes upto '65 had a lot of ridiculous stuff like all vocals on one channel and all instruments on the other. Good for Karaoke though :D

Prog rock in general should make for pretty good stereo effects. King Crimson / Yes/ Jethro Tull come to mind.

"Stereoness" is incidental. Good music should be what motivates us to listen to a recording. Such an obsession is what metamorphoses a music lover into an audiophile (in the derogatory sense of the term - you know the type that listens to female vocals and male vocals:)).

This is not to take away the technical and artistic achievement of the recordist who made such illusions possible, the sound engineer and mastering engineer who must judge and implement what is the optimal separation and depth, and reproduction equipment that faithfully reproduces the intended effects. They are worthy achievements in their own right, but not meant to detract from the music.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back