Virgil Donati Band Concert Mumbai-Great show

himadri

Well guys,
Attended the Virgil Donati Band concert in Mumbai on 3rd.In fact I flew down from my place in Bhilai Chattisgarh. Thanks to Sandeep Chawta (who was responsible for bringing this band),I had a chance to listen to a concert which had some jazz icons playing with extremely talented prodigies side by side.Mainly Allan Holdsworth numbers were played with a few of Donati compositions. Impressions:
The veterans-
Virgil Donati on drums- a very active and vigorous drummer well at ease with complex time signatures.
Allan Holdsworth-My favorite guitarist with a fabulous warm tone and a sense of very advanced melodic improvisations playing around and across the melodic line in legato style.
The young turks;
Austin Peralta on keyboards: This 20 yr old prodigy was a revelation , with soaring solos matching Holdsworth's complex compositions.
Anthony Crawford on bass: another young player who provided a solid bottom end all through along with Donati.
Overall , a great jazz/jazz rock concert - a relatively rare happening for indian audiences.
A special mention- The show at St Andrews auditorium had great sound -Loud , Clean and dynamic - almost impossible to replicate in a home setting.
A you tube post of a song from the concert http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eFq8_FChSs
Cheers
himadri

Last edited:
Somehow I missed reading that the young Austin Peralta (the keyboards player in the above concert ) is no more. He was 22. I was watching the admiration with which Holdsworth was watching Peralta take his solos which is a tribute to the young lad's talent. A promising life cut short.
RIP Austin Peralta.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back