Great musicians of the 20th century

I have been collecting music by the truck loads since the age of 10-11. The only period when my collection remained more or less static was in the 2000-2008 years when I was busy with my work and did most of my listening on the Alpine stereo in my car. In the 70's while I was still interested in pop and disco I started buying every album of Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Eagles, Beatles, Stones etc. that I could get my hands on. And gradually I started enjoying them. In the mid 80's while I was still listening primarily to rock music I started collecting Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk, Sonny Rollins, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong etc. And a little later I started buying every Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Schubert or Haydn that I came across.

I have never regretted the bags of money which I blew on buying music. Sooner or later I got hooked to 99% of the tapes or CD's which I bought. Hardly any duds. But I did keep trading in the music which I was no longer listening to. Sometimes I regret having sold a particular album. But on the whole I prefer to travel light and maintain a rolling collection of 500 albums which I am listening to, have begun listening to, or plan to start listening to in the near future. At the moment I have around 500 albums of western classical music. Roughly 70% of them were bought in the last 18 months. I frequently play around a 100 of these. I play another 200 of them on rare occasions. And the rest are still waiting for their first spin. At the moment I am attempting to comprehend and enjoy the composers I have not heard much before - 20th century composers like Claude Debussy, Anton Weber, Arnold Schoenberg, Olivier Messiaen, Dmitri Shostakovich, Sergei Prokofiev, Igor Stravinsky, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Bela Bartok, Jean Sibelius, Carl Neilsen, Bohuslav Martinu, Leos Janacek etc.

This is my final collection of music. I would like to add some Indian classical CD's, but apart from that there is no other music left to buy .....

The incomparable James Brown was a one of a kind and never to be repeated act. His music exudes energy, exhilaration and drive. His contribution to Soul, Funk and R&B truly makes him one of the most influential and great musicians of the 20th century along with Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Nina Simone, Mahalia Jackson, Nat King Cole, Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin.

Michael Jackson, Prince and many other super famous afro american singers may have got some of their moves and style from James Brown. But they could never really attain the raw, visceral power of the man who went by many names: "soul brother" "the godfather of soul" "mr. dynamite" "sex machine" "the hardest working man in showbiz"!

Absolutely essential recording for any collection of popular western music.

Gold (Rm) (2CD): James Brown: Amazon.co.uk: Music

When I listen to the godfather of soul I feel good :)

James Brown - I feel good - YouTube

The incomparable James Brown was a one of a kind and never to be repeated act. His music exudes energy, exhilaration and drive. His contribution to Soul, Funk and R&B truly makes him one of the most influential and great musicians of the 20th century along with Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Nina Simone, Mahalia Jackson, Nat King Cole, Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin.

Michael Jackson, Prince and many other super famous afro american singers may have got some of their moves and style from James Brown. But they could never really attain the raw, visceral power of the man who went by many names: "soul brother" "the godfather of soul" "mr. dynamite" "sex machine" "the hardest working man in showbiz"!

Absolutely essential recording for any collection of popular western music.

Gold (Rm) (2CD): James Brown: Amazon.co.uk: Music

When I listen to the godfather of soul I feel good :)

James Brown - I feel good - YouTube

to that list of black heavyweights i would like to add the very enigmatic Sly Stone the fountainhead of Sly and the Family Stone, the original funk band...
Sly And The Family Stone - Stand - YouTube

Among Dylan's most underrated albums is his 1978 release Street Legal. This album demands many patient and attentive sessions before it starts entering your bloodstream. Every track on this album is good but the best ones are: Changing Of The Guards, Seor/Tales of Yankee Power and No Time To Think.

Dylan at his majestic, enigmatic best:

Senor, senor, can you tell me where we're headin ?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon ?
Seems like I been down this way before
Is there any truth in that, senor ?

Senor, senor, do you know where she is hidin' ?
How long are we gonna be riding ?
How long must I keep my eyes glued to the door ?
Will there be any comfort there senor ?

There's a wicked wind still blowing on that upper deck
There's an iron cross still hanging down from around her neck
There's a marcing band still playing in that vacant lot
Where's she held me in her arms one time and said, Forget me not.

Senor, senor, I can see that painted wagon
Smell the tail of the dragon
Can't stand the suspense anymore
Can you tell me who to contact here, senor ?

Well, the last thing I remember before I stripped and kneeled
Was that trainload of fools bogged down in a magnetic field
A gypsy with a broken flag and a flashing ring
He said, Son, this ain't a dream no more it's the real thing.

Senor, senor, you know their hearts is as hard as leather
Well, give me a minute, let me get it together
I just gotta pick myself up off the floor
I'm ready when you are, senor.

Senor, senor, let's overturn these tables
Disconnect these cables
This place don't make sense to me no more
Can you tell me what we're waiting for, senor ?

Bob Dylan - Senor (Tales Of Yankee Power) - YouTube

Last edited:
know how I can get these on vinyl????

ah there lies the problem:), illayaraja's compositions for movies are available in vinyl(quality is not that good) but sadly his other offerings are not.

Also it is really sad how no major label comes forward to take all his great compositions and re master(the one's which have been badly recorded by some mediocre record label) and release it through CD and vinyl.

A singer/songwriter who is much more than a singer/songwriter for me. His spirit belongs to the 60's but his sparkling words and hauntingly beautiful voice will remain vivid and relevant for a long time. He never became a superstar like some of his contemporaries, because his canvas and concerns were much bigger than mere rock stardom. Before I heard his songs there were dozens of singers and bands I used to admire. During the 80's when I was primarily listening to rock music I used to feel that Bob Dylan, Neil Young, John Lennon, Leonard Cohen, Jimi Hendrix and Bob Marley were the best among the solo musicians. I believed that Dylan was big daddy. A cut above the rest. The greatest songwriter of his generation. I spent 20 years of my life constantly listening to and humming his songs. But in recent years his voice and words have faded and lost their resonance for me.

In all those years I never came across any reference to Phil Ochs. I used to believe I had heard it all, or at least most of it, but the singers I actually like now (Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Nat King Cole, Louis Armstrong, Robert Johnson, Mahalia Jackson, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Nina Simone, Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke) came my way only in the 90's or later. A few years ago I heard a Phil Ochs song on You Tube and then another and another and....and very soon the unthinkable happened..... I became indifferent to most of the singers I had loved in the past. The songs of Phil Ochs have a richness and vitality which I seldom find in any other pop/rock/folk/soul/blues singer. I don't feel the loss because I have 53 songs written and sung by him. And these 53 songs are enough for me.

Phil Ochs: There But for Fortune (Documentary) trailer HD - YouTube

Last edited:
Suzanne. I first heard this song in school and fell in love with it. I thought it was one of Neil Diamond's best songs. A few years later I discovered the superb original by Leonard Cohen. Recently I heard a live Nina Simone version on You Tube and absolutely loved it. Nina has the knack of taking a song written by someone else and making it her own. The dictionary defines DIVA as a female singer who is famous, talented, imperious and temperamental. The folks who invented the word must have been thinking about someone like Nina Simone!

Nina Simone - Suzanne (Rome 1969) - YouTube

Last edited:
Wanted: Original recordings of Phil Ochs on compact disc.

At the moment I have Farewells And Fantasies. I am expecting On My Way (demo sessions from 1963) and The Broadside Tapes from Amazon. Looking for more recordings which do not share too many common tracks with the albums which I already have.

Blue Rondo A La Turk and Take Five are some of the most popular jazz pieces even amongst folks who are not that much into jazz.
Well, Dave Brubeck who with his innovative time signatures took the modern bebop idiom to newer places is no no more.
He died yesterday at the ripe old age of 92.
Here are some obituaries and assessments of his jazzical legacy.

Dave Brubeck obituary | Music | The Guardian

BBC News - Obituary: Dave Brubeck

I just came across this thread, couldnt go through all the pages but went through first 10 pages I could not find some of the legends of swing:

1. Count Basie
2. Nelson Riddle

Singer songwriter "CAT STEVENS"
BTW, if Eric clapton is included in this list, one cannot leave out Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits:)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back