Vodafone 2G Network - Call Drop Issues

Hari Iyer

Of-late since past 2 months i have been noticing something very very unethical about Vodafone 2G network. Whenever i make a call, the call automatically drops after 2 minutes forcing me to make an another call. This is irrespective of my signal strength. This is also noticed with some of my other friends. Mine is a corporate CUG plan and my guess is Vodafone is not making any profits by retaining me. Hence they want me to either want me to switch to regular plan or quit them.
Will like other FMs to share their experience with this service and if they too are facing similar issues with their phone.

BTW, I have ruled out any issues in my smart phone and its working great and have also have swaped phones to rule out issue with my device.

Of-late since past 2 months i have been noticing something very very unethical about Vodafone 2G network. Whenever i make a call, the call automatically drops after 2 minutes forcing me to make an another call. This is irrespective of my signal strength. This is also noticed with some of my other friends. Mine is a corporate CUG plan and my guess is Vodafone is not making any profits by retaining me. Hence they want me to either want me to switch to regular plan or quit them.
Will like other FMs to share their experience with this service and if they too are facing similar issues with their phone.

BTW, I have ruled out any issues in my smart phone and its working great and have also have swaped phones to rule out issue with my device.

Yeah, they do that. I don't know how but it happens with Vodafone 2G. I thought I had problem with the phone and switched but it still happened and the Vodafone CS just told that coverage in my area might be a problem but I doubt that as another Airtel connection is working good. However I do not have a CUG connection but the CS smoothly talked me to take a 3G connection for better coverage. I've told him I will ditch the connection.

My observation of the call drop issues almost 4 months ago have now been vindicated by the Telecom Ministry.:D

Has anyone observed that the calls made from Idea network to another Idea network within the same circle sounds like VOIP (great quality), but from Idea to any other network sounds like the usual phone?

Yes Mr. Hari, I face the same problem too.. On persistent pestering, Vodafone sent a guy to my flat to read the signal reception on a meter and he said that they would not be able to do anything about it and would not increase the signal range from the nearest tower. I noticed that call drops on reliance phones are much rarer in comparison

Ported out from Vodafone to Airtel 4G. I should say I am impressed with their 4G data speed.

@mathan
Please dont fall prey for 2g to 3g. I feel it is a ploy just to keep the customer.
Here in mumbai when i travel by train i find many dead spots. I lose my 3g as well as 2g signals totally.
Basically all these players want a sizable piece of pie but dont spend on infrastructure. The 3g coverage is also bad even just adjacent to Mumbai so one can imagine other semi urban or rural area.
Telecom should not have given permission to 4g without proper implementatiin of 3g first i.e. nationwide coverage and reasonable quality.
Regarding 4g it is not needed for individual customers, genuine 3g speed is more than enough for next 5 to 10 years. For corporate i dont have any idea.
I may switch to Aairtel here. Because in Mumbai Airtel has taken over Loop mobile which had good quality which i had prior to this Vodafone.
@ hari. Which network are you thinking of switching to?

Last edited:
@mathan
Please dont fall prey for 2g to 3g. I feel it is a ploy just to keep the customer.
Here in mumbai when i travel by train i find many dead spots. I lose my 3g as well as 2g signals totally.
Basically all these players want a sizable piece of pie but dont spend on infrastructure. The 3g coverage is also bad even just adjacent to Mumbai so one can imagine other semi urban or rural area.
Telecom should not have given permission to 4g without proper implementatiin of 3g first i.e. nationwide coverage and reasonable quality.
Regarding 4g it is not needed for individual customers, genuine 3g speed is more than enough for next 5 to 10 years. For corporate i dont have any idea.
I may switch to Aairtel here. Because in Mumbai Airtel has taken over Loop mobile which had good quality which i had prior to this Vodafone.
@ hari. Which network are you thinking of switching to?

Well I never like Airtel as at beginning I was with Airtel only and then ported to Vodafone and now back to Airtel. I would have been with Vodafone but thier 3G data speed was pathetic and got worse day by day. I am not sure if Airtel is using 3G network and claiming it to be 4G but I see a very big improvement in data speed with Airtel now.

@ mathan.
So how do you compare Airtel from past to present. I mean coverage of 3g or 2g outside metros especially 3g if you have tried it?

Outside Airtel 3G coverage was just ok maybe better than Vodafone and not sure about other network providers as I have not used it. Got good coverage of 3G in second tier towns. However, deep interior (villages) the data speed was minimal to none. Recently after connecting to 4G nothing seems to have improved except for Metros. The data speed is same in small towns as it used to be before. I think they have not improved infrastructure in small towns and villages.

In android phones go to settings

Network Setting :

Change preferred network to 2G from 3G.

You will loose 3G data speed but will have a more solid and omnipresent network for voice calls.

My own experience.

In android phones go to settings

Network Setting :

Change preferred network to 2G from 3G.

You will loose 3G data speed but will have a more solid and omnipresent network for voice calls.

My own experience.
I searched for preference in settings it was not there.
However i have settings as gsm or cdma auto mode. Whichever signal is strong is picked up. Talking to friend revealed that mobile operators sets preference to gsm i.e. 2g. Therefore i lose 3g signal while commuting in train but many times even 2g signal is complerely absent or very weak so dropped call or just silence. Even in my office 3 feet near window or home there is hardly any 3g signal.
When i choose 3g only then in office the signal vanishes or very weak many times and at home (suburbs adjacent to Mumbai) there is no signal however outside it is intermittent.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back