Volumio user experiences & mini dsp SHD studio

newlash09

Hi all.
Very good morning.

After waiting for a very long time, looking for a single box digital source component that will tick all my requirements. I finally stumbled across the mini dsp SHD studio. An all digital streamer with inbuilt dsp and dirac live. And it has aes ebu out, which is my most important requirement.

But it runs on volumio. And I have no prior experience with this software / eco system. So was wondering if someone can shed some light, if it can do my below requirements. Thanks

1. Tidal
2. Gaana
3. Play from my NAS
4. If it can support chromecast, then most of my streaming requirement will be catered.

Volumio is a robust headless MPD with plugins like youtube (only music playback) and more.
It can be controlled from both mobile phones and browsers.
Its only drawback is that it sometimes takes quite a while to update media library, bit once done, then is quite steady.
Yes, you can stream from your NAS as UPNP is natively inbuilt.
It also supports system wide audio renderer like Tuneblade which enable streaming anything you play in your computer to it.

Volumio is a robust headless MPD with plugins like youtube (only music playback) and more.
It can be controlled from both mobile phones and browsers.
Its only drawback is that it sometimes takes quite a while to update media library, bit once done, then is quite steady.
Yes, you can stream from your NAS as UPNP is natively inbuilt.
It also supports system wide audio renderer like Tuneblade which enable streaming anything you play in your computer to it.

Thanks a lot kannan :)

Considering that iam a streaming convert, and dont have much in the way of downloaded or ripped tracks. The media management will not be an issue for my very small library. However ease of use for tidal and gaana are paramount for me. Considering that I have been very happy with my chromecast audio, which I find a breeze to setup and use. Do you think it would be similarly easy with the volumino as well. Thanks again for your time.

I can't quantify on the easy part as Chromecast is a ridiculously simple gadget to use.

In Volumio there is no native plugin for Tidal or Gaana. You will have to subscribe to its MYVolumio Cloud edition for Tidal. I doubt you will ever get plugin fir Gaana.
The only way to play Tidal gaana etc on volumio from android is with streaming apps like AllConnect, AirAudio etc.
From PC, you can do it by installing bubblepnp (better sound quality) or Tuneblade (much simpler).

I can't quantify on the easy part as Chromecast is a ridiculously simple gadget to use.

In Volumio there is no native plugin for Tidal or Gaana. You will have to subscribe to its MYVolumio Cloud edition for Tidal. I doubt you will ever get plugin fir Gaana.
The only way to play Tidal gaana etc on volumio from android is with streaming apps like AllConnect, AirAudio etc.
From PC, you can do it by installing bubblepnp (better sound quality) or Tuneblade (much simpler).

Thanks a lot again kannan :)

Does seem to be quiet a work around. And a scary one for someone handicapped with computers like me :D

Will let the mini dsp pass for now. I can use another digital streamer input, but then defeats the all in one purpose iam looking for. So my search continues :)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back