VRF airconditioning for home

Vivek Batra

Hi Guys

I am planning to have VRF system in my upcoming home. So far I have contacted Daikin,Mitsubishi and Toshiba. I am not able to decide which brand to go with. Cost wise they are almost same. If anyone here has any experience with VRF at homes? Cost analysis compared with Split/Window ACs, running cost, maintainence cost etc?

Any info on this would be of great help.

Thanks
Vivek

It depends on how big your house is. I got a quote for my home from Daikin and it was around 9L inr with a 15hp ODU and FCUs in all rooms. 5 star splits in every room comes to around 4L from the same brand. My house has a carpet area of roughly 4500 sq ft.

I eventually went for splits as one issue with VRF is if the ODU fails, you will have no air-conditioning anywhere. Only option in my case was to get two 10HP ODUs and have some sort of failover. This would have jacked up prices even more.

I do like the clean aesthetics of FCUs integrated into the false ceiling and invisible ducting but I am not sure if the price is worth it especially in Bangalore where we use air-conditioning only like 2 months of the year.

As for brand, it depends on the service network in your area. In Bangalore, Daikin seems to have the most installs and the best service.

It depends on how big your house is. I got a quote for my home from Daikin and it was around 9L inr with a 15hp ODU and FCUs in all rooms. 5 star splits in every room comes to around 4L from the same brand. My house has a carpet area of roughly 4500 sq ft.

I eventually went for splits as one issue with VRF is if the ODU fails, you will have no air-conditioning anywhere. Only option in my case was to get two 10HP ODUs and have some sort of failover. This would have jacked up prices even more.

I do like the clean aesthetics of FCUs integrated into the false ceiling and invisible ducting but I am not sure if the price is worth it especially in Bangalore where we use air-conditioning only like 2 months of the year.

As for brand, it depends on the service network in your area. In Bangalore, Daikin seems to have the most installs and the best service.
Hey

Thanks for the information. My carpet area is around 5500 sq feet requiring 18 HP ODUs 10HP and 8HP and 9 indoor units, 7 duct able and 2 cassettes each for dedicated room and lounge cum HT room.

My reasoning for VRF is aesthetics for sure and just 2 ODUs or 2 ODUs in one unit. I don't like the idea of multiple ODUs.

Another reason given by the brands is running cost, they claim 30 to 40% less than the conventional acs, don't know how true it is. The quote from all the brands is around 10L.

Did you opt for the AMC? How much it is?

Hey

Thanks for the information. My carpet area is around 5500 sq feet requiring 18 HP ODUs 10HP and 8HP and 9 indoor units, 7 duct able and 2 cassettes each for dedicated room and lounge cum HT room.

My reasoning for VRF is aesthetics for sure and just 2 ODUs or 2 ODUs in one unit. I don't like the idea of multiple ODUs.

Another reason given by the brands is running cost, they claim 30 to 40% less than the conventional acs, don't know how true it is. The quote from all the brands is around 10L.

Did you opt for the AMC? How much it is?
Running costs will be lower if you have air-conditioning on at multiple points in the house the entire day. If you only have a few areas air-conditioned at the same time, splits will be more efficient.

AMC is not required in the first year. From next year onwards, I shall get an AMC.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back