want info on local VFM amp+speaker

wnrao

dear friends,

there is lot of info on foreign brands here.

what about our indian stuff,like norge, pulz, craftel, sonodyne etc, are there any more VFM brands.( not the high end indian brands)

there is no much comparision between the local VFM brands.

if 1 is looking at VFM local products, what is the best choice.

i have a requirement of 2.1 ch stereo amplifier+ Floor standing Speakers.

pl let me know the choices 1 got, looking at VFM indian products. what are the diff local brands and how do they compare with each other in terms of price , SQ and service

regards

This has been dicsuused in the recent past , please search on the forum , you will get what you are asking for.

Rao:

I have heard both the Pulz and Craftel amps. I would rate Pulz (Pulz RS 100 Pre Amp + RS 250 Power Amplifier) as an excellent combination for getting good sound from a two channel system. They drove a pair of Wharfedale 9.6 speakers with precision and no fatigue.

Carftel also makes amp, and I have quite happy with the audition I did of their amps. Craftel products do not have the ooomph of a branded amplifier, but deliver music quite decently. They have some nice touch such as a USB socket.

I have not heard the Norge but they have a good reputation as well. Many of our members are using Norge amplifiers and speakers.

I have no idea about Sonodyne. Frankly I have never been impressed with their speakers and have avoided auditioning them. I did hear their multi channel amp few years ago along with their speakers, but the demo room was completely stupid and had enormous amount of collateral noise. So I will reserve my comments.

I would not venture to compare these with branded products such as NAD, CA, Rotel and others. It would be an unfair comparison. At the same time , for the price they demand, they deliver music quite well.

As with any products, you must listen to the product before buying them.

Cheers

Norge 2060 highly recommended.
Pulz are powerful & used in multiplexes(R mall)
Sonodyne are well prefered especially Avant series.

Rao:

I have heard both the Pulz and Craftel amps. I would rate Pulz (Pulz RS 100 Pre Amp + RS 250 Power Amplifier) as an excellent combination for getting good sound from a two channel system. They drove a pair of Wharfedale 9.6 speakers with precision and no fatigue.

Carftel also makes amp, and I have quite happy with the audition I did of their amps. Craftel products do not have the ooomph of a branded amplifier, but deliver music quite decently. They have some nice touch such as a USB socket.

I have not heard the Norge but they have a good reputation as well. Many of our members are using Norge amplifiers and speakers.

I have no idea about Sonodyne. Frankly I have never been impressed with their speakers and have avoided auditioning them. I did hear their multi channel amp few years ago along with their speakers, but the demo room was completely stupid and had enormous amount of collateral noise. So I will reserve my comments.

I would not venture to compare these with branded products such as NAD, CA, Rotel and others. It would be an unfair comparison. At the same time , for the price they demand, they deliver music quite well.

As with any products, you must listen to the product before buying them.

Cheers

thanks for the info.
why i am looking at local brands is recently i heard my friends Marantz+ Monitor audio combo, its as good or as bad as any mass brand music systems around. he has bought the combo after extensive study and audition, and and he himself admits his set up is to be improved.
recently i auditioned Denon CDP+ Denon AMP+ Wharfedale 9.5, replaced the denon amp with Norge 1000 amp, i did not find any appreciable diff in SQ. looks like fortunately or unfortunately i dont have audiophile ears

i completely agree with u that our local brands should not be compared with MNC brands, as its not a fair comparision. Our brands are at at different price point and are in the affordable range . apples are to compared with apples not oranges
i want comparision between our local brands in terms of SQ,Price and service. if one has decided to pick a local brand which is the best one. To be more precise, if i need to pick up between pulz,norge,craftel, sonodyne , which 1 can i pick up.
as of now for amp i am thinking of pulz,norge and sonodyne, my req is 100W/Ch with preout for sub
for speakers craftel seems to be the only choice, i love their multi drive speakers looks posted in a thread here, dont know about sound quality. as norge speakers price is getting close to foreign brands, i dont know much about pulz and sonodyne speakers.
regards

Last edited:
there was problem with my computer, so the above meassage got saved twice and i tried to delete but looks like the option is not there. i had to type in some min words. kindly ignore this message

Last edited:
@wnrao,
while specs are no doubt important, please do take the trouble to listen to these brands. Mix and match source/amp/speakers. Use music you like i.e. carry your own CDs. You should NOT buy on the basis of paper specs. or based on the opinion of others.
It doesn't matter whether you have audiophile ears or not - I am sure you will find some combination (of source/amp/speaker) pleasing and others not quite so. Trust your ears - after all "you" are going to be "listening" to the system.

@wnrao,
while specs are no doubt important, please do take the trouble to listen to these brands. Mix and match source/amp/speakers. Use music you like i.e. carry your own CDs. You should NOT buy on the basis of paper specs. or based on the opinion of others.
It doesn't matter whether you have audiophile ears or not - I am sure you will find some combination (of source/amp/speaker) pleasing and others not quite so. Trust your ears - after all "you" are going to be "listening" to the system.

thanks for the suggestion, makes lot of sense to me. ofcourse i leave the final decision to my ears n nothing else.

Rao,

It all depends on what kind of sound you like and the kind of music you listen to. If you normally listen to the regulsr film music, then you may not like the sound from the foreign speakers and amps as they are not very warm and tend to be bass heavy. Indian film music has prominent highs. However, if you mostly listen to English music, the foreign speakers and amps will sould good.

Coming to the choices available.

1.Norge.

They maks some of the best 2 channel amps in the Indian market today. Personally I am using their 2060 amp and it is an excellent amp - truly audiofile grade. You can either go in for their 2060 amp or the millenium 1000 amp.

Regarding their Millenium speakes, I have a pair with me. They are an excellent pair of speakers and produce true sound without any colouration. However, they tend to be low in bass at low volumes and you may have to go in for a seperate sub woofer if you like your musich to be bass heavy. The detailing and layering of these speakers are extraordinary.

You can get the above under 20 K

2. Craftel.

They make very good amplifiers and speakers. Mr. Marc is a very knowledgable person and can guide you to the correct product. They have excellent floor standers which can go niceely with their amps. You may not need a sub with these speakers.

Their amps cost around Rs: 8 to 9 k or so and their floor standers around 7 K each.

3. Sonodyne.

I have heard them some time ago. They do have a reputation. But many of the reviews that I have read does not favour them much. Also they are slightly more expensive than the above two brands.

I would suggest you speak to Marc of Craftel about your requirement. The point is that later you may want to have a a 5.1 channel home theatre system and if you buy a sperate AVR, you will have an amp and an AVR to manage and it can get quite messy. Marc has excellent ideas on how to handle this kind of situations.

You can get him at 09841023957

Hope you will find the abvoe info useful

Thanks

Rajendran Menon

Rao,

It all depends on what kind of sound you like and the kind of music you listen to. If you normally listen to the regulsr film music, then you may not like the sound from the foreign speakers and amps as they are not very warm and tend to be bass heavy. Indian film music has prominent highs. However, if you mostly listen to English music, the foreign speakers and amps will sould good.

Coming to the choices available.

1.Norge.

They maks some of the best 2 channel amps in the Indian market today. Personally I am using their 2060 amp and it is an excellent amp - truly audiofile grade. You can either go in for their 2060 amp or the millenium 1000 amp.

Regarding their Millenium speakes, I have a pair with me. They are an excellent pair of speakers and produce true sound without any colouration. However, they tend to be low in bass at low volumes and you may have to go in for a seperate sub woofer if you like your musich to be bass heavy. The detailing and layering of these speakers are extraordinary.

You can get the above under 20 K

2. Craftel.

They make very good amplifiers and speakers. Mr. Marc is a very knowledgable person and can guide you to the correct product. They have excellent floor standers which can go niceely with their amps. You may not need a sub with these speakers.

Their amps cost around Rs: 8 to 9 k or so and their floor standers around 7 K each.

3. Sonodyne.

I have heard them some time ago. They do have a reputation. But many of the reviews that I have read does not favour them much. Also they are slightly more expensive than the above two brands.

I would suggest you speak to Marc of Craftel about your requirement. The point is that later you may want to have a a 5.1 channel home theatre system and if you buy a sperate AVR, you will have an amp and an AVR to manage and it can get quite messy. Marc has excellent ideas on how to handle this kind of situations.

You can get him at 09841023957

Hope you will find the abvoe info useful

Thanks

Rajendran Menon

thanks for the useful info. well i would love to have to have a single system both for movies n music. but how practical it is i dont know. for me priority is music then movies. well i need to visit chennai once to meet marc. i have spoken to him on phone. i have requested my cousin in chennai for audition.
Pulz Pre+Power of 60W at 20K is getting close to MNC price.Looks like pulz is coming at a price.
so what is left Norge/craftel amp and craftel speakers if 1 is looking at a budget combo.
regards

Last edited:
pulz pricing is close to that of MNC.
i am left with Norge/craftel/sonodyne for amp
and craftel for speakers.
i am yet to audition craftel and sonodyne

pulz pricing is close to that of MNC.
i am left with Norge/craftel/sonodyne for amp
and craftel for speakers.
i am yet to audition craftel and sonodyne

You can without a hitch leave out sonodyne, I felt very let down after listening to the sonodyne demo. I heard various combinations. Sonodyne amp sonodyne speakers, CA amp sonodyne speakers etc. I didnt like any, and had gone there with high expectations.

You can without a hitch leave out sonodyne, I felt very let down after listening to the sonodyne demo. I heard various combinations. Sonodyne amp sonodyne speakers, CA amp sonodyne speakers etc. I didnt like any, and had gone there with high expectations.

well, i am happy, my choice is narrowing down. i am left with norge/craftel for an amp.
Not many reviews on Craftel amps, in fact none. No idea of the important THD figures as well.
looks like i need to settle for norge for amp.i have auditioned Norge amp 1000 n SQ is satisfactory at that price. i am inclined to norge mosfet 2000 due to better bass n i dont like the shrill sounding high freqs.
regarding speakers my choice has come down to the craftel/mission 33/34 speakers. craftel speaker pics are quite impressive , need to get the price and know the SQ.
any opinion on the shortlisted amp n speakers is most welcome

regards

thanks for the info.
why i am looking at local brands is recently i heard my friends Marantz+ Monitor audio combo, its as good or as bad as any mass brand music systems around. he has bought the combo after extensive study and audition, and and he himself admits his set up is to be improved.
recently i auditioned Denon CDP+ Denon AMP+ Wharfedale 9.5, replaced the denon amp with Norge 1000 amp, i did not find any appreciable diff in SQ. looks like fortunately or unfortunately i dont have audiophile ears

i completely agree with u that our local brands should not be compared with MNC brands, as its not a fair comparision. Our brands are at at different price point and are in the affordable range . apples are to compared with apples not oranges
i want comparision between our local brands in terms of SQ,Price and service. if one has decided to pick a local brand which is the best one. To be more precise, if i need to pick up between pulz,norge,craftel, sonodyne , which 1 can i pick up.
as of now for amp i am thinking of pulz,norge and sonodyne, my req is 100W/Ch with preout for sub
for speakers craftel seems to be the only choice, i love their multi drive speakers looks posted in a thread here, dont know about sound quality. as norge speakers price is getting close to foreign brands, i dont know much about pulz and sonodyne speakers.
regards
--------------------------------------------------
hi am john, i would like to set up a music system in my GYM with 50 feet long and 22 feet breadth which is 1100 sq feet, i need some music system which should sound like a club, i expect 10,000 watts speakers for my gym with 1 sub woofer and 5 speaksers, what will b the cost of this music system of CRAFTEL?

----
regards

Hi wnrao,
This is late comment to above, but for benefit of all budget-seekers... here it is:

I had done almost identical audition as above (mentioned in my earlier posts in this forum). The common elements were Philips CDP & Wharf 9.2, whereas the amps compared were Denon 500?? (17k quoted) with Norge 1000.

I could not hear any noticeable difference (if there was one). Most will agree that spending significantly more amt for negligible difference dosn't make sense (irrespective of whether you have audiophile ears or not)

Then I tried above Denon with Quad 11L2. (I thought the WD 9.2 is not doing justice to Denon's capability) To my surprise /horror I actually found the Norge + WD 9.2 to be better in dynamic peaks of Neil Diamond vocals. Further, the bass in Quad was a tad low. Quad presented some details with marginally more clarity in midrange than 9.2. However the overall impact of Quad felt lower to 9.2. (To be fair, the Quad was fresh piece + maybe needs a better amp to flex its muscles, whereas the WD 9.2 had approx 70 Hrs of running)

Regds,

Rao:
----
Cheers

Hi Venkatcr,
At the cost of sounding selfish :eek:, I request you to audition Norge 2060 /1000 amps with budget spkrs (e.g Wharfe's, Norge Millenium etc).

This will benefit a vast pool of budget seekers who look upto audiophile gurus to opine on what they are getting + what they are missing compared to MNC budget amp range (I wouldn't call this "unfair" comparison. rather educative comparison where the readers are open to draw their own conclusions regarding price-difference bet'n the two)

I believe there are many Norge 1000 owner in south who would be more than happy ("ecstatic" in my case in you visit Pune) to have you audition them.

Regds,

Hi Venkatcr,
At the cost of sounding selfish :eek:, I request you to audition Norge 2060 /1000 amps with budget spkrs (e.g Wharfe's, Norge Millenium etc).

I will be more than happy and willing to do it. Let me call Norge and see what he says. In case any one in Chennai is ready to part with his amp for a few days, I can look into it.

Cheers

In case any one in Chennai is ready to part with his amp for a few days, I can look into it.

Cheers

Hai Venkat,

Do you need to say this? I am willing to hand over my NORGE 2060 at your convenience.

Pl PM me. In fact I suggest in our next sessions we should audition all the Indian brands available with Chennai members?

I can offer NORGE 2060, PULZ RS 180DC amps & Craftel Floorstanders. Sridhar can bring his WHF 9.2 as well.

N.Murali

Last edited:
--------------------------------------------------
hi am john, i would like to set up a music system in my GYM with 50 feet long and 22 feet breadth which is 1100 sq feet, i need some music system which should sound like a club, i expect 10,000 watts speakers for my gym with 1 sub woofer and 5 speaksers, what will b the cost of this music system of CRAFTEL?

10,000 watts? Do you want to make all you club members go deaf? Craftel does make special amplifiers and speakers for gyms, Churches, auditoriums, etc. Please call Mark and check with him for prices.

Cheers

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back