Want to add subwoofer to my Sony HIFI

bassmaker

Hi Gurus, I have Sony HIFI MHC-RV-660D, which has a pair of three way speaker boxes (factory supplied), though, I miss the lows. There is no sub in the equation. So, decided to add a decent sub to my setup. The unit has one sub out. Please pour in your suggestions on selecting models.

My budget is 20 to 25 K.

I am from Mumbai.
Cheers;)

Thank you very much Sir for the information, definitely I will contact.

Btw, the said HIFI system has one sub out, will it give out amplified sub signal? I just want to know whether it needs a powered/active (are they both one and the same?) or a passive subwoofer. In that case, a seperate amp is required to run the sub?

Regards

Last edited:
I think you need to refer to the manual. Most of the separate subs in market (standard ones) have a built in amp and low pass filter.
Many of the subs accept line level as well as speaker level inputs.
Most probably the sub out in your system will be a line level output and you will need active sub. Usually systems which also power up sub come with a passive sub included.
By the way i am suprised that you feel a sony system to be weak on bass. I have always found them to be boomy(low frequencis bumped up at wrong place. So rather than giving thump,they give boom) and I need to tone down the equalizers.

I dont crank up the volume much, so I am hunting for a subwoofer that really play the low frequencies with command, tight, articulate and detailed, most important integration and invisibility and fast upper bass.

My taste: Classicals & Ghazals.

So, I want a sub that emphasizes on details and plays loud even in low volume.

Refer to Manual. Most of these Mini Hifi Component systems wont have sub out and even if they have one, it would be probably for a passive one. So before investing big, check with the product manual and see the sony web site to check if they have tech specs of this model.

So, I want a sub that plays loud even in low volume.

This statement confuses me.:(
Do you mean to say rest of the sound at low volume and only sub playing loud?
That is likely to make sound muddy.

Please have a home audition if possible before putting down your money.

Given your taste of music,I think you need a balanced presentation of music which your present speakers are not doing. Classical and gazals have so much importance in mid range is that myself and none of my friends bother much about the bass when we listen to this type of music.
I do agree that bass guitar is prominent in some gazals( I have noted that mainly in the newer gazals by late Jagjit singh)
If you dont mind,may I suggest something? Before buying a sub, please have an audition with a pair of good bookshelf speakers coupled with your sony system
(provided the sony has non proprietary speaker connectors). In your budget some good bookshelf speakers are available.

Integration of sub in stereo music ('invisibility' that you have mentioned) can be a headache unless you have active crossovers or variable low pass filter to try out various cut off frequencies.
Many of the times,stereo music is produced better by good stereo speakers than a sub paired with poorly made speakers.
I hope you dont mind for this off the track suggestion.

If you dont mind,may I suggest something? Before buying a sub, please have an audition with a pair of good bookshelf speakers coupled with your sony system
(provided the sony has non proprietary speaker connectors). In your budget some good bookshelf speakers are available.

The idea of considering and auditing a good pair of bookshelves is good. Try to see if u can get the details of watts supported by your sony system and look for a bookshelf whic can go low on frequency.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back