want to buy radio in Mumbai: where?

Do also consider Sangean which is a Taiwanese brand especially popular in Australia. Bought one in Dubai many years ago and used it regularly for several years. Still use it occasionally for FM. Very good FM reception and sound.

Philips transistor radios are very much available in Mumbai.

Go to Opera house, ask for Popley Jewellers. Just look opposite to Popley Jewellers and you will see a large PHILIPS board with Jamnadas Rutonsi written. Go inside, all Philips India products are on display. The technician sitting there is a aged person who has come a long many years repairing tube radios. These days they only service gramophones. Brand new Philips radio sets are available. I have one Philips RL118 small radio and when working on battery it is able to receive All India Radio Najibabad MW station 954 khz from 1450 km crystal clear without any external aerial.

In Grant Road Mumbai, go to Lamington Road and there are couple of retailers who sell Philips transistor radios and other radios.

In New Delhi, Lajpat Rai Market or Old Lajpat Rai market near Chandni Chowk is your best bet for shops selling variety of locally made radio sets.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
If someone coming from Dubai do try to order Sony ICF-J40 radio which is only available in Middle East. Radio quality maybe good but it has all four bands, FM, MW, SW1, SW2. it works on 2 D Size battery and you cannot run it on adaptor. Being a IC radio, reviews claim its battery usage is quite low. The battery casing provides an extra antenna wire.
Do not order Panasonic RF-800U from Dubai. I ordered one and my own experience with the Panasonic is not good.

I want to share my recent experience on radio buying. After I bought my Panasonic RF-800U radio from Dubai and it turned out to be far poor quality reception, I still kept looking for more radios.
On Alibaba site I liked some 9 band or 12 band radios from Leotec.
LEOTEC ELECTRONICS LIMITED

I gave photos of the radio to my friend who visited China for 10 days. He was in Shanghai and Beijing (5 days each) and he asked multiple stores in the cities for such multiband portable radios and none had it.
Followed by that, my brother visited Hongkong recently for 5 days trip. He went to local Flea market asking for radio antennas, Tecsun loop, Kaito AN200 Loop or Sangean AN-05. And those shopkeepers were stunned. None had it, none know about or sell anything like radios or antennas.

Hence we can assume that, thought China manufactures large quantity and variety of radio sets starting 1 band to 12 bands, the same is hardly available within China. All or most are exported.

A customer support from Leotec HK replied to me that if I need I can buy their radio from the Leotec factory in India or Dubai. I was shocked. Leotec Hongkong manufacturing radios in India?

My hunt for multiband analog high quality radio continues even today. :)

I bought Sony ICF-J1 from ebay. Its available in Flipkart also. Its good radio, though MW is bogged down by so may CFLs around. :(

If you are game for some adventure, the way to go is ebay.de

There are always some lovely multi-band digital and analogue grundig, telefunken and even sony radios always available. Make yourself familiar with shipping policies, customs and import regulations. I remember reading somewhere that the import of wireless equipment is not allowed without a license in India (nevertheless, I don't think a simple domestic radio receiver qualifies as a wireless communication instrument)

Would have loved to buy something like this:

14fe9b7d00b264bb7e5d2391fccb70b21.jpg

or this:

$_57.JPG

or this (at the high end of the spectrum):

18112403.jpg

I want to share my recent experience on radio buying. After I bought my Panasonic RF-800U radio from Dubai and it turned out to be far poor quality reception, I still kept looking for more radios.
On Alibaba site I liked some 9 band or 12 band radios from Leotec.
LEOTEC ELECTRONICS LIMITED

I gave photos of the radio to my friend who visited China for 10 days. He was in Shanghai and Beijing (5 days each) and he asked multiple stores in the cities for such multiband portable radios and none had it.
Followed by that, my brother visited Hongkong recently for 5 days trip. He went to local Flea market asking for radio antennas, Tecsun loop, Kaito AN200 Loop or Sangean AN-05. And those shopkeepers were stunned. None had it, none know about or sell anything like radios or antennas.

Hence we can assume that, thought China manufactures large quantity and variety of radio sets starting 1 band to 12 bands, the same is hardly available within China. All or most are exported.

A customer support from Leotec HK replied to me that if I need I can buy their radio from the Leotec factory in India or Dubai. I was shocked. Leotec Hongkong manufacturing radios in India?

My hunt for multiband analog high quality radio continues even today. :)

I recently got the Sony ICF-J40 from Dubai, UAE. Reception quality in Mumbai highrise is not that good and broadband modem needs to be OFF for any SW reception. A long wire external aerial is required in window.

Hi group.
I have been following the discussions in this section of the forum for the past few days.

I want to buy the Tecsun PL-660 receiver for my personal use. I have been looking around in South Mumbai.

The shopkeepers are very ignorant and its difficult to explain to them what I am wanting. I guess there must be some niche sellers who would know about radios and models like this. Normal audio sellers don't know and don't want to know about SW receivers.

I have seen the internet prices. The standard price is around 120 USD plus 35 USD of postage. But the Indian Ebay lists it at 13500.

If anyone knows where these receivers are available in Mumbai then please do let me know. Otherwise if you can point me to a few places where I can enquire, it would help me to search.

best wishes,
Jawed Ahmed
these radios are outdated just like cassete players nowadays running a sdr radio on a windows or android tablet looks much more high tech and classy also the digital options of selectivity and sensitivity makes you feel like a boeing 777 pilot this super features makes even the sony icf 2001d look like a hath gadi compared to sdr who looks like a mercedes benz.. i put it in as easy and simple way to move on and keep up with today technology plus sdr look like usb dongle or pen drive hence no customs duty as no one know about sdr in india customs yet.

these radios are outdated just like cassete players nowadays running a sdr radio on a windows or android tablet looks much more high tech and classy also the digital options of selectivity and sensitivity makes you feel like a boeing 777 pilot this super features makes even the sony icf 2001d look like a hath gadi compared to sdr who looks like a mercedes benz.. i put it in as easy and simple way to move on and keep up with today technology plus sdr look like usb dongle or pen drive hence no customs duty as no one know about sdr in india customs yet.
Can you tell us more about SDR, thanks.
FM from my Sangean, before it died, was much better than from my Pioneer AVR and Marantz stereo receiver.

Hi group.
I have been following the discussions in this section of the forum for the past few days.

I want to buy the Tecsun PL-660 receiver for my personal use. I have been looking around in South Mumbai.

The shopkeepers are very ignorant and its difficult to explain to them what I am wanting. I guess there must be some niche sellers who would know about radios and models like this. Normal audio sellers don't know and don't want to know about SW receivers.

I have seen the internet prices. The standard price is around 120 USD plus 35 USD of postage. But the Indian Ebay lists it at 13500.

If anyone knows where these receivers are available in Mumbai then please do let me know. Otherwise if you can point me to a few places where I can enquire, it would help me to search.

best wishes,
Jawed Ahmed
Jawed Bhai, I, like you is in search of a good quality radio, whether analogue, transistor or digital like yours. I congratulate you for getting the digital radio. How is it working? Is it worth the price? What stations you listen to? Since you live at Mumbai, I request you to message me some famous Radio Stores where I can buy a good radio. I want a MW/SW/FM set only with excellent reception. I live at Paradip where radio signal presence is very very poor. I bought some 17 radios in my last 30 years. But, when I came here in 2002 each one of these radios have become useless.
Please, do me a favour. How is your digital radio working?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back