Want to buy Turntable

sudhirbhosale

Hi friends
I am planning to buy Truntable. I have some collection of records. The main reason is, I find LP sound quite natural. I had used Philips record players 10 years ago. There was long gap in between. Now again I want to start that.
I would like to invet around 15K hence I think entry / mid level I can get.
So need help from FM friends on below aspects:
- Which are good brands now in India - Denon, Lenco, Marantz, Projects I saw on net
- What aspect I should look into which highly affect sound uality e.g. like - Drive type, MM/CER pieckup
- How Built-in preamp works. Does it gives good SQ
- Any outlets in Hyderabad?
- Any other tips

Lenco.com/ l-3867-usb/ available for around 9K. Is it good?

Thanks

Two or three months ago, I came back to vinyl after 20+ years... Have got an entry level Denon which is reasonably priced..And am quite satisfied with it :)

Hi friends

Thanks

Hey even i am looking to buy one but not able to spend time searching around due to work. I am also checking out this Lenco player. Where do you get it for 9K that is a fantastic price ! Can you please let me know ?

I would like to invet around 15K hence I think entry / mid level I can get.
So need help from FM friends on below aspects:
- Which are good brands now in India - Denon, Lenco, Marantz, Projects I saw on net
- What aspect I should look into which highly affect sound uality e.g. like - Drive type, MM/CER pieckup
- How Built-in preamp works. Does it gives good SQ
- Any outlets in Hyderabad?
- Any other tips

Thanks

That plastic Lenco would sound just like how it looks. Cheap, uninteresting and lifeless. 15k is actually a decent budget you've got there. Stay on the lookout at the sale section here. You'll come across some really quality vintage turntables (preferably direct drives as I'm assuming this will be your first proper TT) for under 15k. Just make sure that they've been refurbished by the seller..or you'll have to find a way to get it properly serviced once before you use it. But it'll be worth the trouble because these vintage turntables will easily outperform most of the brand new, under 50k TTs you find in the market today!

Other places where you can look for vintage TTs: Quikr, Olx, ebay.de

But it'll be worth the trouble because these vintage turntables will easily outperform most of the brand new, under 50k TTs you find in the market today!

Hi I want to know what additional stuff you get from costly turntable. E.g. costly CD player/DAC has high quality DAC chip which betters sound quality.
I would like to know what more we get from turntable costing 50K + over Turntable costing 15K ?
One factor affective price is drive type. i.e. direct drive increase cost.

Thanks

Hey even i am looking to buy one but not able to spend time searching around due to work. I am also checking out this Lenco player. Where do you get it for 9K that is a fantastic price ! Can you please let me know ?

Hi Indy70
I would PM you details.

Please believe the advise of the gurus here. Vintage tts are really good if u get the right source. Sachin, Raghu and kuruvilla sir,s helped me with the right selection of a TT. I learnt the hard way after wasting money on
denon dp29f and rega rp1.

Please never go for these plastic ones. If you are in Mumbai, I can give an Ion TT (with USB) which is similar to what you have referred, free of cost. I got this one from US through a friend of mine.

Hi - want to buy a used Direct Drive Turntable with a budget 20K +/- 10% please suggest. and Any suggestions of a good/experienced Turntable service person in Bangalore?

Issue 1 - My Tecnics SL-150 plotter doesn't move when turned on either in 33/45 Modes. It needs a little push to move. leave it for a while then it gets settles on the constant speed with the selected speed 33/45.
Issue 2 - When I try to use pinch controllers either the plotter moves fast or becomes slow sometimes it halts.

This has been happening for a year+, unit has not powered on/used for some time due temporary shift to Native during Covid WFH.

If this is not serviceable due to component availability or some other, want to buy a used Direct Drive Turntable with a budget 20K +/- 10% please suggest.
I am based in Bangalore

Being a long-term user of Technics turntables, I can tell you why this is happening:

1. Technics SL-150 platter doesn't move when turned on either in 33/45 Modes. It needs a little push to move - low torque is either due to dirty or worn pitch control pots or presets in the speed control section which are corroded and not giving proper contact. If these 2 circumstances are not suspect, then it is likely to be either one or more electrolytic capacitors that would need to be changed. Someone will have to open up the turntable and run these 3 checks.
  2. Pitch controllers when used causes the platter to move fast or slow - dirty/corroded pitch controls, will need a clean-up. Also the presets in the speed control section will need to be checked

Ps: The above faults are not the reason for you to discard such a nice turntable. I can tell you from my personal experience - once you've used a Technics direct drive turntable for a period of time, replacing it with other DD brands will only leave you making performance comparisons after some time. I always suggest that a Technics user look to repair/service his existing deck first and if something is really not repairable, look out only for another Technics DD, as a replacement :)

Please believe the advise of the gurus here. Vintage tts are really good if u get the right source. Sachin, Raghu and kuruvilla sir,s helped me with the right selection of a TT. I learnt the hard way after wasting money on
denon dp29f and rega rp1.
Hi sir, what is your experience with rega rp1, iam using the same with Ortofon OM 5E cartridge, sound quality is not what we expect from tt.
Any suggestions/possibility to improve the sound output as per your experience.
Thanks

RP 1 is a nice sounding tt with a decent arm. The model is now over a decade old. Few reported issues are: weak motor( 24 v upgrade was available, not sure now)& motor mounting system is poor, leading to many issues. However , depending on the age/usage of your tt you can do the following: change the stylus and realign and reset the tracking weight and anti skate; lubricate the platter bearing; change the belt and check the motor mount system ( some Regas have a double sided tape system, which may need to be changed) .
Ofcourse do the above only if you are confident enough of the mechanics involved. A good tt technician, increasingly rare, would be of help.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back