Want to gradually build a 5.1.4 set up starting with 2 mains

lll_ari_lll

Hello Everyone.

Just brought a new TV, Sony 43X8200E. Even though the sound is quite loud at 2x12w full range speakers and 2x8W woofers combining 40Watts. I want to build an ATMOS setup to get the most out of it.
But, with TV and Tele-lens EMI starting next month, can't spend a lot ATM. So I want to start with the mains and later add a sub and then a center. Later will add the rears or surrounds and finally will add 2 + 2 atmos speakers. And the entire set up will take a couple years to build. Will add AVR absolutely when necessary.

I live in a rented house and I may shift (sooner than later) by next year. The current hall is around 10x12. I think tower speakers will be a overkill, so I am looking for a pair of bookshelf (possibly 3 way).

The easiest solution would be for me to add a set of active speakers like SWAN M200MKiii or edifier 2000 and be done with it for now. But, this would be no use later when I do an upgrade, unless I want to do active Bi-amping. Which would be rather pointless as I may be changing apartments and won't have a big enough hall, for which I would need that. Moreover it will make those speakers redundant. I will add a picture of my living room later.

So, I'm looking for a set of passive speakers. And, I believe it will not be powered by TV, so I would need an AVR. But a 9.2 channel AVR costs over a lac and that is way out of budget for me, and I can't ask someone to bring those from Abroad as they weigh well over 10 kg.

So, my option would be buy an integrated amp and sell them later when I decide to buy an AVR. But I think my TV has couple of ports which can be used as a smaller hub. The TV has 4 HDMI inputs(one ARC enabled), a set of RCA input and output, 1 digital output, 1 headphone output combined with a sub output. And it supports Dolby™ Digital, Dolby™ Digital Plus, Dolby™ Pulse and Dolby™ Atmos.

Apart from TV, Prime video and muzic, Netflix and youtube the speakers will also be used for listening music, source will mostly be phone/thumb drive/laptop. Mp3s and FLACs. I listen to wide genres of music. Trans, Rock, soft rock, Country, Pop, Classical, Bollywood, Ravindra sangeet, Gazals, oldies and occasional metal and jazz.

For speakers, I wanted to go for ELAC UNI UB5 but a $500 speaker is costing around 70k in India, which is absurd. So, I am thinking about Wharfedale Diamond 225 or an ELAC Debut B6. Don't know about the amp, but I may be inclined to class AB or class D amp, as it generates less heat and consumes less current. Thanks ravindra for letting me know about the classes. I have no use for Heos but a wireless connection would be good to have to run it from viper/poweramp.

I am not sure about sound signatures, as I haven't auditioned any hi-fi speakers yet. And I didn't like Bose.

The main requirement in sound will be good vocals, instrument separation, tight lows. I am going to a listening session at Dheeraj's place to get an idea about what I am looking for by end of this month.

And I am not considering soundbars as it will limit my options. Note - I haven't auditioned any soundbar as well.

Most of all - I don't want to buy something and discard it later.

Budget would be around 40k. Could go a little higher if it provides significant improvement. but should be chargeable to credit card.

So the questions are as follows.

1. What would be my best course of action.
2. which bookshelf speaker
3. Which amp (if necessary) - don't want to spend much, but it should have enough juice to drive the speakers and then some. How about Dayton DTA - 120 or Dayton's DTA-2.1BT.

Just brought a new TV, Sony 43X8200E

Congrats on your new purchase..

Will add AVR absolutely when necessary.

This should be the first buy along with speakers..

But a 9.2 channel AVR costs over a lac and that is way out of budget for me, and I can't ask someone to bring those from Abroad as they weigh well over 10 kg.

Either look for local market thru OLX to cut costs (or) scale down to least expensive 5.1.2 AVR.. Denon x 1400, Pioneer VSX 932..

or speakers, I wanted to go for ELAC UNI UB5 but a $500 speaker is costing around 70k in India, which is absurd.

Ditch ELAC :).. There are plenty of options that you can consider if you are flexible to (other) brands..

The current hall is around 10x12.

What is your combined budget for AVR + speakers ?..

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back