Want to learn classical music

bansal98

I have always wanted to learn classical music though I could never get enough time or energy to do so. I want to start learning it seriously now and would appreciate any help in this regard. I do not any idea about various styles/gharanas. If not sing, I hope to learn enough to at least appreciate classical music.

Can you please let me know of any place in Bangalore where I can learn classical music? If you could share any personal experiences, that would be highly helpful.

Thanks,
Manish.

I have always wanted to learn classical music though I could never get enough time or energy to do so. I want to start learning it seriously now and would appreciate any help in this regard. I do not any idea about various styles/gharanas. If not sing, I hope to learn enough to at least appreciate classical music.

Can you please let me know of any place in Bangalore where I can learn classical music? If you could share any personal experiences, that would be highly helpful.

Thanks,
Manish.

Check on www.rasikas.org

Regards

Thanks,
Manish.

Hi Manish

Which classical you want to learn? Carnatic or Hindustani? Also which area do you live in? If you are in the north side then I can offer some suggestions for schools.

Hi Manish

Which classical you want to learn? Carnatic or Hindustani? Also which area do you live in? If you are in the north side then I can offer some suggestions for schools.

I live near Electronic City and won't mind going to Koramangala/BTM/Jayanagar area. I do not know anything about classical music. Either of these two should do, I guess.

I live near Electronic City and won't mind going to Koramangala/BTM/Jayanagar area. I do not know anything about classical music. Either of these two should do, I guess.

I'm making a lot of assumptions here, but based on your ID, I think you are originally from the North. IMHO, I would recommend Hindustani music to you. I say this because firstly you will be able to pronounce and understand the lyrics better. Carnatic music is mostly in Telugu, Sanskrit, and Tamil (I think in that order); and you will find it much much harder to not just understand but to even pronounce. Even if a lot of Hindustani music is not Hindi per se, it will be somewhat similar.

Secondly, based on my limited understanding, Carnatic music is a lot more "technical" than Hindustani. Hindustani music on the other hand, focuses more on the purity and quality of sound and pitch rather than the technical aspects. Putting it another way, if you love musical structure, complexity, rythm, and form, then Carnatic will appeal to you more. However, if you love the tonal aspects of music more, Hindustani music will probably appeal to you more. Of course, I'm making a lot of generalizations here, but I just wanted to share with you a broad thumb rule.

Thanks a lot Arun. Yes, you are right. I am from North India (Punjab) but currently settled in Bangalore. You post about difference in language was quite helpful. So Hindustani it is then.

Back