WANTED : Arcam CD player

Dr.Bass

Hello Friends,
A friend of mine is looking to buy a well maintained preowned CD player.
His preference is primarily Arcam. But in case there is a different CDP which is equally good, he would consider. Budget is about 30k. Kindly let me know if any of you or your friends have any on sale.

regards.

The Arcam CD17 sells for about 45k new. It's a competent player which compares very favourably with their top of the line CD37. Only does redbook though.

Have you heard the CD-17 ?
Any leads on where one can buy/audition it in Bangalore ?
who is the dealer in India ?

Thanks.

@DR Bass,
Is it your solitone IC which he is using ?
Did you finally get your cables sorted out for the ATC :)) Will call you sometime.

BTW, how is the solitone IC doing ?:)

Ha ha, I thought I recognised that nick. Believe it or not, have not switched on my stereo in nearly two months! Work has managed to keep me away from it and does not seem to be letting up. Going out of town tomorrow so will probably get to hear it (finally!) on Saturday.

About the CD17, yes I have heard it a few times and it is a very good player. It excels especially at lower frequencies. My experience about the CD37 ( posted here) applies to the CD17 as well. Yes, Absolute Phase would be the dealer in Bangalore.

The Arcam CD17 sells for about 45k new. It's a competent player which compares very favourably with their top of the line CD37. Only does redbook though.

Kindly let me correct you that the MRP of the Arcam CD 17 is Rs 64,700/- and not Rs 45,000/- as quoted by you!

It indeed is a fantastic player and value for money. However the CD6se from Cyrus beats it, but thats at 90K.

Have you heard the CD-17 ?
Any leads on where one can buy/audition it in Bangalore ?
who is the dealer in India ?

Thanks.

Hi Dr,
Well u know where to find one in bglore and the rate by now.
In my opinion this is a superb sounding cdp. My pick in this budget for sure. Some of these CD 17s have had some issues though and Particleman & myself have been present on more than one occasion when the player misbehaved.
Needless to add the 37 At an escalated price plus SACD is better but sonically they sound very much the same in RBCD.
I would pick this cdp over the pricier Cyrus for 'truer' reproduction of music. I owned the cyrus CD6s and it was too 'lean & mean' for me.
Another interesting test we did. By' We' i mean a few of us into audio got together to compare the Arcam 37 with cdps of the real 'biggies' at 3X, 5X and 8X the price and the Arcam pipped one for sure & ran another close for sheer musicality and conviction.
I wont name the other cdps as its not fair to the distributers/dealers I borrowed them from.
Rgds

Some of these CD 17s have had some issues though and Particleman & myself have been present on more than one occasion when the player misbehaved.
Yes, I heard from a forum member that you mentioned about the CD17 misbehaving on a few occasions. Could you kindly elaborate? Did the CDP just asked you two to leave the room?:D

Another interesting test we did. By' We' i mean a few of us into audio got together to compare the Arcam 37 with cdps of the real 'biggies' at 3X, 5X and 8X the price and the Arcam pipped one for sure & ran another close for sheer musicality and conviction.
I wont name the other cdps as its not fair to the distributers/dealers I borrowed them from.
What is the current price of the CD37? Well above a Lakh, I'd think. Last year it was around 90K-1L. How come the prices of the UK products have skyrocketed in the last year when the Rupee perhaps got stronger with the Pound (am I right? Dinyaar, you are the market man).

Regards.

Last edited:
Hi Asit,
Yes maybe the cdp did not like me or even particleman for that matter!! Well we just expelled it from the room soon after.
I think the pound is back to about 77/78 INR but thats not the issue really. All these jokers up the rates too frequently. Yes the Arcam is listed at about 1.25L now but I am told it can be got for 1.05L in bbay.
Asitji am into stocks not Forex !!!:)but am aware of the currency rates.

Asit u have the CA 740 right? Arcam is sold in Cal thru SKS if i am correct? Have u done an A/B? I have no idea how the CA 740/840 sound.

Methinks its time u upgrade that cdp & start a thread ASAP on the best cdps to buy.:eek:hyeah:
Rgds

Hi Dinyaar,

Yes, SKS Traders are officially the Arcam dealers in Kolkata, but I have not seen them bring any FMJ series amp or CDP since this series was launched a year and a half ago. Twice before I was very interested to audition Arcam products, once while I was in the market for a CDP a year ago and another time when I was looking for my amp upgrade. I even called up the national distributor to verify if SKS was still a dealer, and that guy told me he was about to send some new pieces to SKS, but nothing ever came. So the summary is: I have not heard the Arcam FMJ A 38 amp or the CD17/CD37 CDPs.

I have heard almost all CDPs up to 50-60K mark barring the CD17 and still like my 740c the best. I am very eager to compare these two. Amit from Noida is considering a CDP too along with other stuff and I have encouraged him to audition these two and let me know his comparisons, if possible.

I am going to Bombay in February for a few days and will stay in South Bombay. I'll also visit my nephew in Juhu. May be we can meet up and you can take me around for some listening sessions. However, I have no plans to upgrade my CDP at the moment. My first priority (after the speaker stands) is to get my old Dual C5000 TT back in action or if that is not possible, get a semi-decent TT along with a phono stage because I am really really missing the vinyl sound (all my LPs are lying around idle and collecting dust).

Regards.

The 840C from CA too is a superb player I hear.
There is another player from HOLFI which was demonstrated by a commercial member from Mumbai. Superb player ! Around a lac.
The cyrus too seems to be liked by a lot of people.

Last edited:
The 840C from CA too is a superb player I hear.
There is another player from HOLFI which was demonstrated by a commercial member from Mumbai. Superb player ! Around a lac.
The cyrus too seems to be liked by a lot of people.

That was the Xenia - a very smooth sounding player. I really liked it.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back