Wanted Help on Home theater Setup

santhukp

Hi , I am pretty new to this Home theater forums.I don't know any thing about the Home theater ,AV recevers. But got interest when i visited Barista Coffee shop in my Office building(chennai). I was impresses with the Music quality of their system in that shop. i noticed the speaker they are using .it was sonodyne speakers From that time on wards i am researching for home theater systems.i done lots of googling and came here in this forum .i am amazed with Interest and assistance you people are showing here.

I am using a brand new Samsung 4 series 22" inch LCD TV. and i purchased a new Philips DVD player DVP 3256 . Now i wanted a Good Home theater System for me. MY Budget is arround Rs 30000(Speakers + Receiver).I visited one shop in chennai found one Onkyo HTIB HT R340 for Rs 24000.but i was not impress with the Sound Quality of that System.

Guys could you please advice me on selecting a good system for this buget and please tell me where i can find stores in Chennai. I am planning to buy this in May 2009.

I am interested in 60% in Movies 40 % in Musics.
My tastes are..
Movies --- Predator 1,Apocalypsto,Final destinations
Musics---- Pathshala(RDB),Rockford--Aasmanke baad shayad,to phir aaaooooo(awarapan).Waiting for to night(Lopez).

Thanks in Advance .........

What you hear in retail establishment such as the Barista is completely different from what your will hear in a HT system. In retail establishments, they generally power a large number of speaker pairs in stereo or two channel mode. These speakers are spread throughout the shop. The amplifiers are professional amplifiers which give a lot of emphasis to power and less to accuracy and sound staging. But this works for a retail establishment as the environment is noisy and music is played to soothe your nerves and also, more importantly, keep the noise of chatting down. Most establishments use low end speakers such as Sonodyne's satellites - one for aesthetics, and two for costs. There are companies such as Ohm that make more accurate speakers for retail and professional establishments, but these are very expensive.

Coming to your own HT, you should look for accurate sound, and good sound staging. Do not look for volume or large boomy sound.

At 30,000, it is bit difficult to assemble a good HT system using separate AVR and speakers. A good AVR itself will end up costing around 20 to 25K and you will have nothing left for speakers. A better option would be to look at all HTIBs and see if you like any of them. In addition to Onkyo, look at Sony, LG, Samsung and Philips. Philips HTIBs are popular.

If you don't like any of the HTIBs, come back to us and we will see what can be done.

Some of the options are:

1. Onkyo TX-SR340E Receiver along with Pure Acoustics AV799 and RB1150 speaker set. Some 40,000
2. Samsung HT-TZ315 costing 19,000.
3. Onkyo HTS5100
4. LG HT902TB

Some of these model numbers may have been replaced with new ones. I am sure the retailer can help you.

Cheers

Hi Santhukp,:)
Last month in E-zone (OMR chennai) there was this onkyo setup going for Rs.29500 exluding vat.So in addition to venkats suggestion you can also look at this combo.
The sound & clarity is way better than sattelite speakers offered.
But they said this offer was only for 3 days.You can check out with them.
Meanwhile the 5.1 setup consisted of:
Onkyo TX-SR304 + Fronts SKF-4700(Towers) + SKS-4700(1Center+2Surrounds)+ Active Subwoofer SL-107

Regards,
Samuel:cool:

Hi Venkat and Samuel .

Thanks for your input .Actualy i am planning a rennovation of my house next month .It will take two month to completed .I am going to purchase the system after that only.So i am searching a good but cheap system(arround (Rs 35000 Max).
Venkat i don't want a crappy noicy system but should be crispy and clear enough.

Next week i am going to visit a Onkyo dealer for a Demo in Chennai Alwarpet.Mean time please post your valuable inputs....You people always rocks with your ideas................

Cheers
Santhukp:)

Fronts SKF-4700(Towers) + SKS-4700(1Center+2Surrounds)+ Active Subwoofer SL-107

Could you tell me something more about these sepakers. What brand it is ?

hi santhukp....the above speaker system is ONKYO brand and are vegry good VFM im using the same with my ONKYO 606 good bang for money and these speaker system costs Rs.17500/- hope this helps...regards

So i am searching a good but cheap system(arround

What you should look for is a good but inexpensive system. Not a 'cheap' system.

When auditioning, carry your own DVDs / CDs. Use movies and music you are familiar with.

Cheers

hi santhukp,
we deal with yamaha a/v receivers and speakers and torvin speakers for home theater movie and music setup, you can have a demo at our acouctically treated sound proof demo room.

hi santhukp,
we deal with yamaha a/v receivers and speakers and torvin speakers for home theater movie and music setup, you can have a demo at our acouctically treated sound proof demo room.

Kindly let us know your contact details, are there any Yamaha HTiBs and let us know the model specifications.

Last edited:
hi santhukp and gap g j,

Audio Galaxy
old.no.413/New.no.447, First Floor,
M.T.H.Road, Ambattur.O.T,
Chennai-600053.
Near Ambattur.o.t Bus stand.
Contact.no.+919941918910,044-42055296

we also have Torvin Prestigeous Series Entry Level high-end TP-4 Bookshelf 5.1 speaker package for both movie and music for RS.48010.00/-

The system includes :-

1. Torvin TP-4 6inch 2-way 100 watts rms bookshelf speaker x 2 pairs.
2. Torvin TP-23 Dual 5.25 inch 2-way 100 watts rms center channel speaker 1 nos [magnetic sheilded].
3. Torvin SW-3000 12 inch 300 watts rms sub woofer with volume control,
phase control, frequency control, low frequency left & right inputs and
outputs for adding additional subwoofers and

Dear santhukp as you are interest both in music & movies Marantz AV receiver may be an excellent option. Marantz AV receiver is very good for both music & movies. I am an user of Marantz SR4600 AV receiver for last two years and very happy with it. But a new Marantz AV receiver along with 5.1 speaker package will exceed your budget of Rs.35000. Hence a slightly used Marantz AV receiver with new speaker package may be an option for you.

Regards,
Partho.

Hi Venkat and all...

Please tell me if i am opting out of AV receiver and select good AMP.Because i am not interested in the PQ. I am only interested in the SQ.I only need a good sourround sound .Is that will be a good choice.May be this is a noncence Question sorry for that ...........BUt.....Please advice me.

santhukp:eek:

First Home HTIM Demo in life

Hi All,

Yesterday was my first auditioning of the HTIB in my life.I was in Spenzor plaza last evening, for curiosity i gone to VIvek's Show room to check whether they have any Good Audio set up there or not.The sales person asked what you are looking for then i said was looking for Home theater. he taken me into some entry level small Speaker then i said i was looking for System's like Yahama,Onkyo.For my surprise they taken me to their Ground Floor and there was lots of demo rooms for the Plat panel and one demo room for the Onkyo HTIB.There was two Models hts 3105, and hts 5105. Demo room was decent with LG DvD Player,42 Inch LG LCDTv.

I was very disappointed with the Picture quality of the Movie they shown me.They were having the Lost World, Matrix Demo DVD's with them Picture QUality was below average.First they given me the demo on the 3105.I was ok with the sound effects .But not satisfied with the Sound Quality because it was too Sharp sound coming from the Front Speakers ,for me sound should be smooth and Crisp and clear like glass break but that was not there in any of this HTIB not sure their setting wrong or not.

Please tell me if i am opting out of AV receiver and select good AMP. Because i am not interested in the PQ. I am only interested in the SQ.I only need a good sourround sound .Is that will be a good choice.May be this is a noncence Question sorry for that ...........BUt.....Please advice me.

Santhup:

I am scratching my head on your dilema. I really don't understand how to answer your questions. You like Barista sound, you did not like a HT sound, you want surround sound, but want to opt out of AVR and go for an amp.

Let us get a few facts clear:

1. You will get best sound in terms of music from a two channel system only. A HT system's (AVR or HTIB) sound cannot be compared to that. What you heard in Barista was two channel music.

2. You can get surround sound only from a AVR or a HTIB system. You cannot get surround sound for a two channel system.

If I understand you right, you are expecting the kind of sound you have set your mind on from a two channel system and are expecting that from a inexpensive HT system. This will be difficult.

What you need is a AVR that is good for movies and also good for music. Logically you should look at an entry level AVR from companies such as Denon, Yamaha, or Marantz and build on that.

Cheers

2. You can get surround sound only from a AVR or a HTIB system. You cannot get surround sound for a two channel system.

How can you mislead people like that venkat? Dont you know BOSE can create 7.1 experience with 2.1 system? Didnt expect this from you :cool:

Just kidding :)

Re: First Home HTIM Demo in life

Hi All,

Yesterday was my first auditioning of the HTIB in my life.I was in Spenzor plaza last evening, for curiosity i gone to VIvek's Show room to check whether they have any Good Audio set up there or not.The sales person asked what you are looking for then i said was looking for Home theater. he taken me into some entry level small Speaker then i said i was looking for System's like Yahama,Onkyo.For my surprise they taken me to their Ground Floor and there was lots of demo rooms for the Plat panel and one demo room for the Onkyo HTIB.There was two Models hts 3105, and hts 5105. Demo room was decent with LG DvD Player,42 Inch LG LCDTv.

I was very disappointed with the Picture quality of the Movie they shown me.They were having the Lost World, Matrix Demo DVD's with them Picture QUality was below average.First they given me the demo on the 3105.I was ok with the sound effects .But not satisfied with the Sound Quality because it was too Sharp sound coming from the Front Speakers ,for me sound should be smooth and Crisp and clear like glass break but that was not there in any of this HTIB not sure their setting wrong or not.

Go to Philips Arena and audition HTS4750, its in mount road.

Re: First Home HTIM Demo in life

Go to Philips Arena and audition HTS4750, its in mount road.

Is it a closed Unit or saperate one like av,DVD Player and speakers ?.why i am asking is ,i am having the DVD Player .so i don't want one more piece to fill my room.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back