WAVE 32 Bit IEEE Float or FLAC

Which one is better

• Total voters
dbPowerAmp is a good audio CD ripper. Simply rip to FLAC and use default settings.

As someone already said, FLAC is like a .zip file that you can use to shrink the size of your files without any quality loss whatsoever.

FLAC is a specialized format for archiving audio so that it can be decoded on-the-fly without using much processor power.
This explains why FLAC files are played back on hand-held devices with relatively low powered processors.
In addition to storing metadata tags, FLAC files also contain checksum values for the stored audio data that notify you of any accidental quality loss (due to reasons such as faulty storage media, faulty hardware used for encoding, etc.).

Hence, rip your CDs to FLAC files and store them on a good hard-drive. Take regular back-ups and listen to your pristine lossless files (which are bit-by-bit identical to your original CDs) for years to come :)

I use EAC and FLAC to rip archive all my CDs. dbPowerAmp is a more user-friendly alternative.

Last edited:
Confession: I am just being picky here. Well, I did say, earlier, that I was grumpy today!

which are bit-by-bit identical to your original CDs

Which uncompress to identical data?

Also I doubt that they are bit perfect to the CD because there will be differences in stuff like track gaps. Oh heck ...I'm getting too picky for myself now! :eek: And, apart from not using Windows software myself, I agree with what you say anyway :)
Hence, rip your CDs to FLAC files and store them on a good hard-drive. Take regular back-ups and listen to your pristine lossless files (which are bit-by-bit identical to your original CDs) for years to come

...especially the bit about the backups!

I use a version of dbPoweramp too and each CD takes between 5 to 8 minutes to rip into WAV. I use the Upsampler function to convert my FLAC files without any issue in a few minutes (this is particularly the case when I buy downloads which are only available in uncompressed FLAC). I have played uncompressed FLAC and WAV files and honestly am hard-pressed to tell any difference in SQ.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back